95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Opinion: Greasing CV Joints and boots

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinion: Greasing CV Joints and boots

Greetings,
I have a 2001 Ex Cab Tacoma with about 32000 miles. I was talking to a buddy the other day and during the conversation greasing the CV Joints came up.
He stated that he has 106,000 miles on the CV joints in his truck because he greases them yearly. He told me he cut the steel band years ago and uses a wide wire tie instead. Once a year he cuts the wire tie, gently pulls the boot off the axle, slides a small air hose modified to attach to a grease gun and then pumps in a few ounces of water proof grease into the boot. He then uses another wire tie to seal the boot back to the axle.

Do they really need to be greased, and if they do, is this a better way then removing the axles? He also stated he has not had to replace the boots yet either. I went and looked under the truck and everything looks really good?

SOunds like a good plan, any thoughts?

MvCrash
Old 08-22-2004, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MvCrash
Greetings,
I have a 2001 Ex Cab Tacoma with about 32000 miles. I was talking to a buddy the other day and during the conversation greasing the CV Joints came up.
He stated that he has 106,000 miles on the CV joints in his truck because he greases them yearly. He told me he cut the steel band years ago and uses a wide wire tie instead. Once a year he cuts the wire tie, gently pulls the boot off the axle, slides a small air hose modified to attach to a grease gun and then pumps in a few ounces of water proof grease into the boot. He then uses another wire tie to seal the boot back to the axle.

Do they really need to be greased, and if they do, is this a better way then removing the axles? He also stated he has not had to replace the boots yet either. I went and looked under the truck and everything looks really good?

SOunds like a good plan, any thoughts?

MvCrash
That's a pretty good idea, the factory grease is some of the nastiest grease on earth, so as long as you are replacing the grease with something that is compatible, no problem, my question is: you said he puts grease into them every year, does he take the old grease out or does he keep packing grease in them every year? On my truck, I coat the cv boots with Armorall, it keeps the boots from drying out, which is why cv's go bad, they dry out!

Good Luck !
* Harry *