Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OME suspension help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I'll say she's being good to you! That's cool, enjoy your goodies.

You guys with garages are killing me, I've always wanted a roller chest for tools!
Old 07-14-2003, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mertztr
Wow, I'll say she's being good to you! That's cool, enjoy your goodies. You guys with garages are killing me, I've always wanted a roller chest for tools!
That ain't all, hehe, I forgot to mention she got me this to put in it: {I'll try to post pics tomorrow of the chest.}

Last edited by keisur; 07-14-2003 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lucky dog!

My crap is still everywhere in the garage......sounds like it's time to start bargaining......for christmas time.

You don't find that the 891 are a very harsh ride?
Are you running a heavy bumper or anything?

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 07-15-2003 at 03:14 AM.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:41 AM
Contributing Member

Hey all,

Just set up so you can see some pics of what I am working with:

Check it out! (TAKE 2!)

http://community.webshots.com/user/mtl_4runner

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 07-15-2003 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:39 AM

So who's running the downey springs and OME N86 shocks combo? Does this seem to be a less harsh ride? Mike, at Extreme Off-road said that the OME 891's are stiffer than the Performance Products 1" springs, and if that is indeed true, then I'm definitely not going with the 891's. The PP springs were too stiff to me unless partially loaded.

Chris
Old 07-15-2003, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

How did you like the adco sway bars?
Did it make a big difference in handling?
Old 07-15-2003, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
Lucky dog!

My crap is still everywhere in the garage......sounds like it's time to start bargaining......for christmas time.

You don't find that the 891 are a very harsh ride?
Are you running a heavy bumper or anything?
TJM in front is all, no it's not a harsh ride to me, just more stiff and less bouncy than the stock. I usually have about 50-100 pounds in the back on the weekends hauling bikes or stuff from home depot for the house. then when I got 2 200 lb + chumps from work in the back for lunch it rides low, which is one reason why I will probably got with downey springs or even the VHD OME's (892's) in the fall sometime when I can spare an extra $130 for either set. I've had to add trim packers for a little extra height in back when loaded so it rides a tad but high unload and level for the most part when loaded.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr
So who's running the downey springs and OME N86 shocks combo? Does this seem to be a less harsh ride? Mike, at Extreme Off-road said that the OME 891's are stiffer than the Performance Products 1" springs, and if that is indeed true, then I'm definitely not going with the 891's. The PP springs were too stiff to me unless partially loaded.

Chris
Mine road like a cadillac when I had the Homak chest and cabinet in it last weekend. I didn't really like it though, to 'floaty' feeling since I was used to the truck feeling.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:15 AM

I have 880 medium spings with comfort shocks in front and also the medium spring in the back two. My truck ride better than stock. I ended up buying a 1 inche spacer from cornfed but that didnt make a big diffence in ride. It did ride a little better without spacer. I would get what i have if you want ride rather than the tallest 4runner. ome is fine as long as you are not going to put a arb or tjm bumper and winch on.
my 2 cents
Old 07-15-2003, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

DONT GET HD for the rear, it is STIFF and you will bounce around.

the 890s will give you about 2.5" in the rear.

if you want an even lift, i would suggest getting 880s and a 1.5" spacer for the front.

you could also try 881s, but youll prob only get 2" lift from that.

you can try calling ARB and talking to a representative, they are usually very helpful.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

It is tough to compare to now because even with a light load (like 2 adults in the back seat) the rear of the vehicle bottoms out and sends the passengers flying over any decent size bump. It is olny funny if you are the driver.....luckily I am most of the time. Wife doesn't find it nearly as amusing.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 07-15-2003 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

I can't believe most of you guys think the OME891/N86 combo is stiff. I must be weird or something.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by keisur
I can't believe most of you guys think the OME891/N86 combo is stiff. I must be weird or something.
I agree, Keiser, I really like this combo, too. But you still may be weird...
Old 07-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

How much do you weigh?
Maybe all that muscle is giving you a smoother ride than others.........jk!

In all seriousness both sides have made their case well but at this point I am leaning a bit toward the 891s. Can someone tell me if I should be using the comfort shocks or the harder ones to give me the best on road handling of the vehicle?

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 07-15-2003 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

How much do you weigh?
Maybe all that muscle is giving you a smoother ride than others.........jk!

In all seriousness both sides have made their case well but at this point I am leaning a bit toward the 891s. Can someone tell me if I should be using the comfort shocks or the harder ones to give me the best on road handling of the vehicle?
Only 200 libs and 6 foot tall. not a big dude, but the chumps that ride in the back go 225 easily. one thing I like about the 4Runner is the leg room in the back. more leg room than even the new Eddie Bauer Exploder, one of the 225 dudes has one and I give him hel=l because my knees are pressed against the front seat back when I ride in there. dang ford P's-O-S!

For you I woulds say 891's and the N86C (comforts). Reason beign is that I read alot of people here that go that route looking for the solution you are looking for. the reason I went with the N86 firms is because I like the stiffness for the roads and stuff and I don't like a soft spongy, well spongy prolly ain't duh rite wurd, but I like a firm solid feel and that's what I get with the N86's and 891 combo. speedbumps don't flex the rear much, it humps the back up because the shocks don't give so easily. my ProComp ES3000's were really soft and they sucked up the speed bumps, the ES3000's I think are comparable to the comforts. my opinion.

Last edited by keisur; 07-15-2003 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:48 PM

How did you like the adco sway bars?
Did it make a big difference in handling?
The Addco bars are probably the most significant mod I've done.

The difference between stock and Addco is incredible. The body roll and cornering was improved 10x. They do make the ride a little stiffer, but the trade off of advanced handling was well worth it.
One distractor is these anti sway bars are not off-road friendly. If you do any serious off-roading with Addcos, then get some disconnects.

This was the 1st mod I did after nearly rolling my 4Runner on a off ramp. With the Addcos I went back to where I nearly rolled and took the off ramp a good 20 mph faster than before with no problem.

If you're looking for on road handling, I highly recommend them.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Lifer
The Addco bars are probably the most significant mod I've done.
To add to this, Jalaber has a really good write-up on this:

http://www.top4runners.com/ja/index.html
Old 07-16-2003, 02:40 AM
Contributing Member

Cool guys....totally appreciate the help on this!

Lifer:
I think I will look into getting some adco bars because as is the body roll is quite unacceptable to me. Bit scary you almost rolled in the 4runner....I don't want to do a similar attempt. I am not much of a serious off roader....sorry guys!....other than the occasional fire roads to get my boat up to the ramp....or the 8 foot snow bank that happens to be in front of my driveway in the morning sometime in mid january. A good running start usually clears that problem in a hurry.

keisur:
You'll never see me own one of those POS exploders.....ever!
You should see my neighbor's 1996 (same year as my runner) and it has tons of problems like turning into a rust bucket, sounding like a helicopter (likely another rust problem), he is constantly fixing broken stuff where my truck I have yet to fix anything besides the o2 sensor....rest is just maintenance.

Your doing a great job on selling me on those 891s and the comfort shocks......so I think that is the way I will go.....so long as I can find a place up here (in Canada) to sell me some.....at a reasonable price. I am ready for some real mods now!
Old 07-16-2003, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by XtremeOff-Road
OK my friend...nothing in Montreal, however, there is an ARB distributor in Burlington Ontario. Their website is http://www.national4wd.com contact number 800-575-7500 or 905-634-0001

Hope this helps, if all fails, maybe they will know another shop for you!!

Mike
MTL_,

In reading your last post it almost sounds like you missed this that Mike posted for you. The other piece of the puzzle that may not be obvious to a "newbie" is that OME stuff is made by ARB. Let me add one more vote for 891's and Comfort shocks, while I'm at it. Good Luck!
Old 07-16-2003, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

as I can find a place up here (in Canada) to sell me some.....at a reasonable price. I am ready for some real mods now!
i'm not real familiar with buying from other countries, do you have to pay duty on things or something? because I figured you could just order them from somebody here.

Quick Reply: OME suspension help!!!