Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Leak

I have a 1993 Toyota 4runner, V6, Auto, 4x4. It has a relatively new engine in her (50K) and had Mobil 1 Synthetic Engine Oil 10W-30 in it. This morning I noticed a small oil spill on the cement (about 3" in diameter) centered directly under my Yota (under a clean Toyota oil filter, surprisingly, the truck wasn't moved, I don't know where the leak is coming from, but read on.)

I checked the oil, noticed it DOWN LOW, so I got a ride and got some organic Castrol 10W-30, and put in three quarts until the oil dipstick read FULL at cold. I checked other fluids and cranked the engine, it came on, and is running fine. Looks like it was only on TWO QUARTS of Mobil 1 Sythetic 10W-30. The oil temperature gauge, however, is much higher now that I'm running mostly organic engine oil.

There is a little bit of an oil leak it looks like coming from the driver's side of the top engine cover (nearer the firewall and toward's the drivers side.)

The lack of oil also happened one other time, about a year ago, when I brought it in for a scheduled oil change, and the shop notified me that my oil was at about the same level, about TWO QUARTS. I don't know how that happened. Could it be a slight leak in a gasket at some point near the TWO QUART oil level?

Also, could someone tell me the ACTUAL PART NO. for the oil filter, I always like to double check the dealer clowns in the service department.

I thought it might have been a loose oil filter, but I checked it out and it's tight and clean. I'm going to get some oil degreaser / cleaner, spray the underparts of my engine, and look for a leak, with my engine that now has about two quarts of synthetic and 3 quarts of organic oil in it.

Thanks for any advice or experiences!

Mahalo,
alohatiger

Last edited by alohatiger; 09-03-2003 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:00 AM
CTB

There are a number of places it could be leaking from, but the most common ones I know of on 2nd Gen's is at the rear main seal or the valve covers. Like you said, clean it off good, then go back out and check it later. Either way, if it is leaking that much, you need to get it checked out and fixed as soon as you can.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:22 AM

Oil Leak

Right on, I'll do that. I'll let you know what the shop thinks, but I gotta wait for this guy that's coming to the house between 1pm and whatever ... I'll post an update.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:26 PM

No Oil Leak As Yet, Burning Oil? Long-distance driving the cause?

Could be burning oil. No real leaks. Could be the PVC valve on the passenger's side, which is difficult to get to under all those wires, etc.

The driver's side valve cover has a tiny little leak, but it's really negligle. I lost THREE QUARTS somehow, in about 3 weeks.

QUESTION: Could the oil burn up have been because of a LONG DISTANCE TRIP?

One theory by my shop mechanic is that the oil is gummy inside as it rises up in the engine, then gets trapped, and somehow gets in the intake and gets out. I dunno about that one, what do you guys think?

The oil is not getting into the exhaust as far as my mechanic can tell.

The word right now: check my oil and carry some around with me.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: No Oil Leak As Yet, Burning Oil? Long-distance driving the cause?

Originally posted by alohatiger

QUESTION: Could the oil burn up have been because of a LONG DISTANCE TRIP?
No way.....not 3qts in 3wks....unless you made it around the circumfernce of the earth in a world record time.

One theory by my shop mechanic is that the oil is gummy inside as it rises up in the engine, then gets trapped, and somehow gets in the intake and gets out. I dunno about that one, what do you guys think?
Sounds like a total load of BS......
Either find an oil leak or have your cylinders pressure tested.
Seems like that kind of blowby would cause smoke but maybe not.