Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OEM Sunroof Drip Tray

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Sunroof Drip Tray

Upon searching, I found a few threads talking about leakage inside when it rains. I noticed my headliner was getting stained on the passenger side of the vehicle so I took my runner to a sunroof guy who took off my sunroof and tested the drain channels which were fine. He said I was lacking a drip tray that catches the water that seeps through the sunroof seal (which is normal according to him) and that water was splashing around staining my headliner.

I purchased this drip tray from 1sttoyotaparts.com but I can't figure out how to get everything to fit properly. The part number is: 63214-35010

I've matched up the groves in the plastic drip tray to the groves in the sunroof chassis so I think I know where the tray fits and which direction it goes, but I can't get my actual sunroof glass to go back in.

Does anyone know if the headliner needs to be removed, or have any other info about this?

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-10-2007, 05:06 PM

Well I figured it out and since no one replied, I'll just put the information that I have to offer here so when someone searches, they will find it. I think sunroof issues are clearly more ambiguous than many other general issues when it comes to the amount of available information and the number of repair shops (leaving room for the repair shops to screw you). So that being said, I'll just leave what I've found here for you guys to do what you will with..

If you have a leaking 3rd gen:

1) A common source of leakage is a clogged drain tube which allows water to exit a "gutter" system that rounds the sunroof assembly (similar to a gutter system that rounds the roof of a house). Believe it or not, sunroofs are designed to leak a little bit and the seal that the glass makes with the surface of the vehicle does leak normally. A system to counteract this is devised as a the "gutter" system that was mentioned before. The gutter captures the water that leaks through the seals and then channels the water to exit/drain tubes which take the water outside of the sunroof assembly so that the water doesn't stain your headliner and ruin the mechanics, etc.

Upon testing my 97 4runner, the drain tubes channel the water to an exit location located at the wheel wells. There are 4 exit tubes, 2 of them exit at each side by the front tires and the last 2 exit towards the rear of the vehicle by the rear tires.

A clogged exit/drain tube does not allow water to escape the sunroof gutter system and the water may overflow the gutter system, causing stains and other unwanted consequences.

To check and see if you have a clogged exit/drain tube, removed the sunroof glass and you will see the gutter system. pour water slowly in to the gutter system and see if the water exits the gutter system. The water should reappear to be dripping from under the vehicle somewhere.

If you have a clogged exit/drain tube, the few shops ive called quoted me at approximately 50 bucks per tube and they blow air in it or something to clean it out.

2) Another cause for possible leakage/staining of the headliner is that you are missing a drip tray, or your drip tray has become detached. This was the case for me (my truck didn't come with one when I bought it). The drip tray is a rear drip tray that can be found towards the rear of the sunroof assembly. It is a long plastic piece that is not bolted to the assembly. Rather, there is a spot for it to sit and it is held to the assembly by the sunroof glass.

This drip tray catches the water that drips in from the rear seal of the sunroof glass and channels it to the appropriate gutters, preventing the water from soaking the headliner.

to check and see if you have a drip tray, you can pop up your sunroof (while it is still completely assembled) using the tilt style open. When your sunroof is completely opened (in the tilt fashion, as opposed to the slide fashion), the gap that allows air to come in should be limited by the sunroof on top and a plastic piece that raises with the sunroof glass. If there is no plastic piece that raises with the sunroof glass, you are missing your drip tray, or it is not where it is supposed to be.

Remove the sunroof glass and check to see if the drip tray became detached and got pushed towards the rear of the vehicle and is hanging out in between the headliner and roof of the car. If it is, you need to get it out of there and then reposition it. There is a plastic little stud that sticks up at the rear of the sunroof assembly that holds it in place and it should fit right in.

If you find that you don't have a drip tray, you can order one from http://www.1sttoyotaparts.com

This is what I've figured out so far.. so if I find anything more, I'll add it here, or wherever it's applicable.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:51 PM

I just posted a thread about this topic a couple weeks ago. Thanks a lot for the info. I suspected it was just like that, but now i know another place to look, only problem is it hasn't stopped raining here in 2 weeks.... eh, hard to check
Old 03-10-2007, 08:57 PM

what did you title that thread? i searched a few different subjects and found nothing. What sucks about the search feature (if you don't designate title only) it searches and brings up every thread that has the word in it.. ugh
Old 03-10-2007, 10:26 PM

yeah, the search feature isn't all its made up to be.... everyone on every internet forum i have been on says to use it... well ok, but when it doesn't work im going to ask a question. Also what sucks is when you find what the right type of topic, it doesn't at all answer your question, it is usually two people talking about that topic that have a thorough understanding of it, therefore nothing in the thread reveals anything that would be a noob question.... Search feature has helped me probably twice out of 150 times....

Anyways here is my thread https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/leaking-roof-107872/
Old 03-12-2007, 01:50 PM

i try to always search one word, generic topics, but i search only in the title. If there are too many hits, i progressively narrow down the topic until i get my desired number of hits. but there is so much information here and so many ambiguously titled discussions.