Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Noobie question on lockers

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 12:56 PM
funglenn

Noobie question on lockers

This is a dumb question, but how do I know if I have an e-locker or not? What difference does it make?

I have tried to do a search, and people compare factory to ARB and some have mentioned aussie, but what exactly is it?

I have a 2001 4x4 SR5, but I can drive it on pavement.

Is the locker related to a button on the dash that makes the center orange circle light up and turns on the VSC light? I thought that was the center diff?

Does a locker replace the center diff? I have read that it affects wheel spin, but why is one better than the other?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2004, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A normal "open" differential essentially is one wheel drive. If one tire is allowed to spin, the truck will not move. A locker replaces the differential and locks the axles together so that it is truely 2 wheel drive. There is probably a button on your dash that says something about traction or locker if you have a locker in it...I don't really know since I don't have a taco.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have a switch on the left of the steering wheel (near fog lights) "RR locker", otherwise you do not have one. You can also get under your truck and look at the rear pumpkin and you will see a large electric solenoid with a wire coming off it. No wires on the rear diff and once again you don't have one.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-14-2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

You have the same year truck as me. However mine is the TRD edition which come with the rear locker standard. I think my '97 Taco had the rear locker as well as manual hubs but it was just a SR5 4x4, must have been how they oredered it from the factory.

At any rate you will have a "RR Locker" button to the right of your dimmer knob for your gauge lights. If it's not there then you do not have a rear locker as far as I would know.

85Runner answered your question regarding what a locker does.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:14 PM
funglenn

I should have specified, I have an SR5 4Runner.

Yes, I do have that switch. So I take it some 4runners do not have an elocker. If not then what do they have? So then the rear wheels lock, but why is that a factor in using the four wheel drive? I am begining to understand the concept. If the tires are allowed to spin at the same rate that is why the skid control is turned off, so that it can skid and get you out of whatever it is that is bogging you down (ie. mud)?

The factory locker has nothing to do with motion (the transfer of power from the engine) between the front and rear axles, just the between the wheels on the same axle, is that correct?
Old 01-14-2004, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by funglenn

The factory locker has nothing to do with motion (the transfer of power from the engine) between the front and rear axles, just the between the wheels on the same axle, is that correct?
Bingo.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

Scenario:

You're out on a trail and you end up on three wheels and you get stuck. Your 4x4 isn't getting you out of the situation and you notice the rear wheel that's in the air is spinning but not the wheel that's on the ground!

Solution:

You turn on your locker, or should have already had it on for a this situation, and now you have power to the rear wheel on the ground that was doing nothing before. With this extra power you can get yourself out of your present situation.

The rear locker LOCKS both rear wheels together so they both get power from your transmission. In nrmal two wheel drive mode only one rear wheel is getting power. For that matter when you're in four wheel drive mode all that means is on rear wheel and one front wheel is pulling you along. If you wanted both front wheels to get power to the ground you would need to purchase a front locker setup.

I hope this helps. I also hope I've explained this correctly.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Just so you know, the 2001+ 4Runners DO NOT come with a rear locker, on the Active-TRAC system which uses the brake system to stop wheel slippage and transfer power to other wheels. The button on your dash is for locking the CENTER differential so that the system will switch from a All-Wheel Drive to a true 4x4 system for better traction off-road & on loose sand & snow. While not a fan of the newer system, it does work as intended and has gotten me out of some tight spots off-road.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:28 PM
funglenn

It makes perfect sense now....

Thanks to all you guys, but again, are there 4runners who do not have a locker but do have 4x4?
Old 01-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks to all you guys, but again, are there 4runners who do not have a locker but do have 4x4?
Yes, the locker was a factory option on 1996-2000 4Runners and 1996-current Tacomas with the TRD package. I've owned 3 4Runners, all without rear lockers. My Tacoma had a rear locker and it was great. I'm thinking of doing an e-locker retrofit on my 2001, have to look into the wiring & such as well as the gearing for both front & rear diffs when I do the swap.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:49 PM
Nam

Yeah definitely, there are many out there that have 4x4 without the rear differential lockers!

Nam
Old 01-14-2004, 06:09 PM
funglenn

I guess what throws me is that the graphic they use when you lock the locker. It is that orangle circle that lights up in between the two axles, it should be between the rear axles if I undersand correctly.

So then the locker was standard in 2001 and on

Right. I am begining to see the light.

Thanks to all of you!
Old 01-14-2004, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Nam
Yeah definitely, there are many out there that have 4x4 without the rear differential lockers!

Nam
Ditto!
In fact only a very small percent of 4x4 are locked (from the factory).
Old 01-14-2004, 06:16 PM

<now that I was told about it> Center lockers are very cool... just not the skid control... but I also have been saved by it...

I'm getting the ARB rear locker installed Friday. Im all excited like.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

I guess what throws me is that the graphic they use when you lock the locker. It is that orangle circle that lights up in between the two axles, it should be between the rear axles if I undersand correctly.

So then the locker was standard in 2001 and on

Right. I am begining to see the light.

Thanks to all of you!
Actually, the orange light comes on indicating that the CENTER differential is locked, not the rear. The rear on your truck is open and unable to be locked. The ActiveTRAC system is the "subsitute" for a rear locking differential. So the light is in the right place for your 4x4 system. I have the same system in my truck and it works the same way.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:58 PM

I can't believe it took 6 responses before you were told you don't have a rear locker.

Good work rwmorrisonjr you get a star today!
Old 01-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rwmorrisonjr
Actually, the orange light comes on indicating that the CENTER differential is locked, not the rear. The rear on your truck is open and unable to be locked. The ActiveTRAC system is the "subsitute" for a rear locking differential. So the light is in the right place for your 4x4 system. I have the same system in my truck and it works the same way.
Show me a pic of the center locker underneath.
I don't think I have seen one yet.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:15 PM

Someone confused me and I wasn't confused before this thread. They posted that one wheel in the front and one in the back have power when not locked. In a 2000- AWD makes all the wheels spin equally on dirt and mud. This has been tested. When switching to 4 wheel high; the middle light is solid between the axles. This is one front and one back? When tested, all the wheels were spinning on dirt and in mud. What the hell????
Old 01-14-2004, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

YOU DO NOT HAVE THE E-LOCKER!!!!

the e-locker's switch is "RR DIFF LOCK" in orange letters.

e-lockers were optional equip for 96-00 and they were not avail for 01-02s.

newbie!
Old 01-14-2004, 08:10 PM
funglenn

Well , I understand now...

Thanks, and now I think I am going to start saving up!!!

:pat:

Quick Reply: Noobie question on lockers