Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

NO SPARK! Hypotheis: BAD IGNITOR!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO SPARK! Hypotheis: BAD IGNITOR!

1991 Toyota Pickup with X-Cab - 22 RE - I-4 - 2.4L - Automatic Transmission - 2WD - 204K miles.

It's a Columbia, Missouri, Grocery Runner!

Date of Manufacture: NOVEMBER 1990 in Tokyo.
Ignitor: Toyota OEM Part # 89620-35280.

I am a Yota-Shade-Tree-Member who has been working on vehicles since 1976. So, I'm not a professional mechanic, but I'm not a total idiot, either.

My 1991-2WD-22RE-2.4L-X-Cab Pickup Truck suddenly died while running. I was able to pull into a parking space. The Lil-Yota-Truk would turn over the engine, but it would not start. It was almost dark, so I got out and hitch-hiked home.

The next morning, my two mechanical buddies and I went to tow it back to my farm. We checked for spark and there was none! We successfully towed it home.

We all hypothesize that it was a BAD IGNITOR! I am going to check the fuses first. And, I am going to follow the Collective Forum's Advice before I buy any parts.

My QUESTIONS:

(1) Since a new ignitor is expensive and hard to find, should I trust a used one from a junkyard?

(2) Should I replace the coil and ignitor as one unit? Other mechanics recommend this because if the coil is bad, too, it will ruin my newly replaced ignitor? Any thoughts on that?

(3) I'm going to replace my distributor cap and rotor first. It's unlikely that it will ... but ... Do you all think that will bring back my spark?

(4) All of my research on <google>, <yotatech.com>, and <youtube>, show the same conclusion: BAD IGNITOR!

(5) What are some steps I should take before replacing this expensive part?

(6) What are some "Toyota-Parts-Websites" that <yotatech> recommends? I have: (1) <ebay.com>; (2) <1stToyotaParts.com>; and (3) <toyotapartsdude.com>.

REMEMBER THIS IMPORTANT FACT: this truck was built in NOVEMBER 1990. It has a different ignitor than the "1991 Model-Year" Toyota Trucks built before August 1, 1990.

Please respond with your usual "Yota-Intelligence" and point out any deficiencies that I overlooked.

Hurry before I do sumthin' STOO-PID!

Because ... I'm broken down at my POKER-PALACE in the MIDDLE of MIZERY!

Thanx for your "Yota-Help" ... <mizeryota13>.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would try a wrecking yard part first. I used to carry one as a spare, but never used it.
It did loan it to a guy on a trail run, which allowed him to finish the trail and get home as well.

BTW, if you don't get any more responses on this Tacoma forum, try the '86-95 Truck forum.
The following users liked this post:
mizeryota13 (12-05-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a similar problem with my v6... it would start though and then run really rough... I change plugs and ignition coils and it ran like a champ after.. id try that first..
mizeryota13 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 07:49 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by MistaMota
I had a similar problem with my v6... it would start though and then run really rough... I change plugs and ignition coils and it ran like a champ after.. id try that first..

no no no respectfully. His truck stopped running, not running like poo.

That said, if you’re sure it’s the igniter get one used, coil.....not sure pretty rare they go bad but I guess possible. Cap and rotor? Well I doubt it would just die, I would go the normal route, check fuel pump, check spark etc. I always recommend Jim’s yota parts here in CO, they ship.

Take your time post findings before throwing loot at it
mizeryota13 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 04:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
like is said... similar.... my issue was the plug coils were failing.. so my v6 was actually running on 3.. (no spark to any of the "slave side plugs") so it could be possible that this could happen to him. in my case the spark coils have a "master" side which get power directly and the send the power to the "slave" side
mizeryota13 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MistaMota
like is said... similar.... my issue was the plug coils were failing.. so my v6 was actually running on 3.. (no spark to any of the "slave side plugs") so it could be possible that this could happen to him. in my case the spark coils have a "master" side which get power directly and the send the power to the "slave" side
It's a series circuit. Current flows from coil pack to plug then through block to slave side through that plug and returns through wire completing circuit at coil. If you open one side you lose the other. I wonder if you just messed up the wiring leaving the slave side working but out of time, then bought new coils, and then wired it right the second time. It;s extremely rare that all three would go bad at once. Very common to miswire these things. Don't throw out those old coils. Maybe try one to see if it's good.