Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

No power to windows, door lock, sun roof, rear window

Old 12-12-2010, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No power to windows, door lock, sun roof, rear window (Fixed)

Hello, I have a 2001 4Runner with about 144,000 miles on it and all of a sudden the power windows, door lock, sun roof and rear windows stopped working. I unlocked the doors early in the morning with the key fob to get ready for snow boarding, drove for about 2 hours and when I tried to lock my doors again with the key fob nothing happened. I have checked all the fuses but can't find one for the mentioned accessories. I have also check the windows lock button, and disconnected the battery for 15 minutes to reset the computers. Neither the key fob nor the buttons on the door work. Everything else, radio, dome lights, cigarette lighter, work. I thought maybe it is something to do with the alarm system but I don't really know where to begin with that. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!!

Last edited by Simon; 03-20-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Found solution
Old 12-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Check the Fuse, i had the same issue on my 94. i'm not sure if its in the same spot, but on 2nd gens its closer to the firewall inbetween 2 relays. its pink with a clear top.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tofer
Check the Fuse, i had the same issue on my 94. i'm not sure if its in the same spot, but on 2nd gens its closer to the firewall inbetween 2 relays. its pink with a clear top.
The '01s have a fuse panel by drivers side door and under the hood. I'll double check for other fuse panels. I did see a relay labeled "Power" but I don't know what it's for. Thanks.

-Simon
Old 12-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
94 had them in both sides as well.. the fuse i am talking about is at the kick panel.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:09 PM

There arent any kick panel fuses, but try replacing the fuse with another. Sometimes fuses can be blown and be difficult to diagnose... one possibility is that one of the wiring harnesses may have become disconnected (if any recent work was done, stereo stuff?) I know from experience that if the drivers door controls are unplugged, it will cut power to the windows and rear window, cant recall on locks/sunroof though
Old 12-12-2010, 06:00 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
Originally Posted by rideexileex
one possibility is that one of the wiring harnesses may have become disconnected (if any recent work was done, stereo stuff?) I know from experience that if the drivers door controls are unplugged, it will cut power to the windows and rear window, cant recall on locks/sunroof though

X2! this exact issue happened to me. i didn't know what to think until i took the door panel off to reveal a disconnected harness (i did plug it in, it just worked itself loose over time) windows, locks, mirrors, and sunroof (i think) didn't work.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
X2! this exact issue happened to me. i didn't know what to think until i took the door panel off to reveal a disconnected harness (i did plug it in, it just worked itself loose over time) windows, locks, mirrors, and sunroof (i think) didn't work.
Really?! Ill check it out.
I did install a new stereo a couple months ago so I will check those connections too. Thanks everyone for your help!

-Simon
Old 12-13-2010, 07:09 AM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
that's what happened to me too. it took a couple months for the operations to stop working. when i was troubleshooting, the idea that a connection in the door panel never occurred to me because it was so long after i had done the work. $10 says that's it!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:29 PM

Well it turned out to be a fuse after all, just not any of the ones I checked the first time around. It was the pink 30 amp fuse on the upper right of the inside fuse panel on the drivers side. The fuse was just labeled "Power" on the fuse schematic. Anyway, a trip to Autozone and $4 later and all was well again. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I did take the door apart but every was plugged in. Which prompted me to check the fuses again. Thanks.

-Simon
Old 03-20-2011, 07:17 PM

I just wanted to update this thread so it might help someone else.
The fuse blew again about 3 weeks ago. I bought another one and it blew as soon as I plugged it in. So after downloading the electrical schematic and doing some snooping around and blowing another 5 fuses I was no closer to finding the short. Yesterday I went to the dealer to see if I could find the factory fuse thinking the ones from Autozone where wrong, they told me to check the doors where the bundle of the wires goes into the doors. Today, the first one I checked was the rear door and sure enough, there was actually a burn hole in the rubber hose from 2 wires shorting out and the wires there melted together. It appears that the wires where getting pinched when the tailgate was closed. (See Pic). So after wrapping them separately with electrical tape and putting another fuse it everything is fine.

Its nice to have power windows again with the nice weather where having in Denver!

This is what it looked like when I peeled the rubber hose back.

Last edited by Simon; 03-20-2011 at 08:07 PM.