Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Toyota bumper

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I probably won't make up to Vancouver on Wed, but keep me in the know about the 3rd gen rear bumpers. There is really only one option at the moment, I think Rockware now charges about 1400 bucks for their rear bumper. Its expensive, which is fine because its a nice piece of work. Downside is you have to drive to Colorado to get it fitted on, so thats not much of an option.

I'm planning on taking a welding class in the spring just for the purposes of being able to fab up a simple rear bumper, and get ready for a solid axle swap some time in the future....
Old 11-03-2003, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

That's a cool bumper, nice work. It has a nice rugged look, and I really like the lights that you have mounted inside the bumper.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:35 AM

Zedex,

Great lookin bumper...I've been in the market for a front bumper but don't like the popularity of the ARBs and TJMs, so only route to go is custom. Will that work with a 3" body lift?
Old 11-03-2003, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
There's always a huge market out for these, but nobody seems to be able to mass produce any. Even so, once it comes down to it, people look at the price of custom fabbed stuff and back out. I'm just letting you know of what I've seen in the past, and if you want, ask Steve Schaeffer or Mike (Azrain) about their experience with producing equipment. It seemed like they went through hell.

But all in all, good luck with everything, your stuff looks really sweet, and if I was into hardcore wheelin then I'd be interested as well.
Yup. Your right about all custom stuff. Its labour intensive so costs are pretty high .Welding gas is expensive. Grinding discs are insanely expensve.Etc. Etc. Etc.. Im trying to keep the costs down as low as possible so people dont have to sell the family car to get a bumper. And then the shippers want a HUGE chunk. Thats what usually kills the deal for me.
But if you were close enough to drive here you would save alot , i would mount the bumper, we stand in the driveway and just stare at it for about an hour. lol.
And believe me thats the way it is.
Last bumper i sold i delivered it to Vancouver and mounted it for him. The money is one thing but seeing the guys face with his new bumper. He couldnt stop looking at it and was so happy. That makes you feel better than anything really. But you need to live and recover your costs.
When i find out the powdercoat costs i will break the bumper down so people can buy the lights themselves at a later date if need be. (hellas)
Old 11-03-2003, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by Denk
Zedex,

Great lookin bumper...I've been in the market for a front bumper but don't like the popularity of the ARBs and TJMs, so only route to go is custom. Will that work with a 3" body lift?
3 inch lift. hmmmm. That poses a problem. You can make mounts to lift the bumper 3 inches. Thats no problem. But if you decide to have a winch mounted. The amount of leverage the winch will create at the mounts is HUGE. The winch would rip the bumper off if it werent braced pretty well.You would have to brace it again to a different location.
The strongest and best method would be for me to weld a 3 inch flange to the top inner lip of the bumper all the way around. I could use thin guage steel or mesh. That would fill the gap between the body and frame. All winching forces would be kept low to the chassis. And you ever decide to lower your rig. No prob. trim the flange.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

one of the complaints i have about my TJM is that the lights stick out the furthest, i like how yours are protected.

great job and good luck.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

i agree

with RTdawgs but id like to see the gaurds on the turn signals also, that would be sweet... im still waiting to see a price.

Old 11-03-2003, 11:50 AM

I will put guards on the signals . Keeps people from stealing your signal lights as well especially if they are LED's.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Hey RT-

I hate that about my TJM as well, my PIAA's are the first thing to get smacked. I've procrastinating about making up a simple bracket that bolts onto the stock mounting position that will set the lights back a couple of inches.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:34 PM

I havent heard back from the powdercoates but. As it stands i can sell the bumper, with Hella 500s,landing lights, signal lights, protective bars on ALL the lights including signals, powdercoated...$866 U.S Without hella 500s. $791 U.S.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How much does it weigh?
Old 11-03-2003, 01:51 PM

haha, am I sensing a 4ROC WA road trip coming on??? LOL!

Dude, that bumper is very sweet, I am acually in the market for a front bumper, but for a first gen, an 85 runner to be exact. I realize that the later gen 4runners have similar mounting areas, however, with the TJM and ARB bumpers, I must get a different model because I have a solid front axle, would there be any descrepancies with your bumper and a SFA?
Old 11-03-2003, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by mt_goat
How much does it weigh?
About 70 lbs.

Ive never done one for a 85. If i remember back to my 84 4x4 extra cab diesel. They are completely different. The front ends got quite a bit longer i think.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Drool is runnign out of my mouth as I speak. I wish I had the money right now because that is exactly what I have been looking for. Your attention to detail is amazing. I hope you keep selling these for a little while becaue maybe this summer i will have enough cash flow to spend on it without breaking the bank(you gotta remember I'm a poor college student)
Anyway good job Zed, it looks really good.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:05 PM

How about a rear bumper?

How about a rear bumper for a 3gen 4Runner??

mochoajr
Old 11-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Banned

i'm a poor college student too ...

yuck!
Old 11-03-2003, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by 4route
i'm a poor college student too ...

yuck!
Me Three
Old 11-03-2003, 06:17 PM
CTB

Originally posted by OicnaiC
Me Three
Well I guess that makes four of us poor, drooling college students. Jonathan...mind picking one up for me while you are at it?
Old 11-03-2003, 06:19 PM

hey don't forget me, I'm poor, and I'm in college too!!
Old 11-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Haha yeah i'll get you one, you just hold your breath....

dead yet?

yeah I really would buy that thing right now if I had a way ( only one however )

Quick Reply: New Toyota bumper