Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Shocks for 4Runner --- which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lanai
I had the pp springs and the bilsteins but felt it was too stiff, so I swapped the bilsteins with tokiko trekmasters. Still a little stiff but not as much as earlier.

Anyone know which is stiffer, the pp or ome (soft)?
My guess would be that the OMEs are slightly softer but I am not 100% sure.

I was planning on going with my OME soft shocks, OME soft springs and then get a set of the addco bars to prevent roll. I might switch to the PP springs (or OEM with 1" spacers) because my wife (being 5'2") is compaining about the height of the truck. I want the truck to ride as soft as possible with little body roll since I do little offroad driving.

Peter, good to see you on the board again!

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 12-11-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't comment on all shocks listed, but I do have bils on my 2000 4Runner, all other suspension is stock. I love the bilsteins and would buy them again in a second, I have had them on other trucks and always had good luck. Mine have been on the Runner for about 80k and while they may be slightly softer, hard to tell when it's gradual, they still have plenty left in them. They are stiffer than stock, but if you want better cornering then stiffer is the way to go, mine do fine over bumps and such. As for the Runner being a heavier vehicle, I would disagree, heavier than a Camry sure, but when compared to other SUV's of this size thay are actually lighter. When I think of heavy vehicles I think of Yukons and such which are over 5k, but that's just me.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:13 PM

I just put a full set of OMEs on my rig - 880/N91s & 906/N86 on a 02 sport edition - I really do like them. they are a littles stiffer than stock - you do feel alot more of the little bumps and rocks, but they soak up the bigger bumps nicely. I was torn between the "standard" and the "comfort" shocks - but I was told by ARB that the comfort shocks are for people who think that the stock ride is too stiff. I would really like to know how the comfort shocks would have felt. I put a set of 265/75/16 revos on the stock set up and it felt REALLY good --- I didn't want to screw it up. if I had it to do over, I would probably opt for the comforts to have a plusher ride.

my two cents.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by noahrexion
Well I dont think either of you will be dissapointed at all. I have went through stocks, Bils and now I have the trek masters and I like them the best.

They have great street characteristics and are about as stiff as I would like on the street; but still do quite well in cornering and slight offroading. I drive 90% street and got the tokico's because of the charecteristics and the $200 shipped price off ebay.

I have driven them in ALL conditions now, for about 8k miles and I cannot imagine gettign anything else for a daily Runner that doesn't see much offroad. They feel MUCH better in corners than stock and are noticeable stiffer as well (not as bad as Bils though).
Curious on the swap from Bilstein to Tokiko. Did the Bils die or did you just swap them out? I thought Bils had a lifetime warranty on them.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:31 PM

I used to have a stock TRD Taco that came with a softer Bilstein shock and I liked them. So I figured when I got my truck I would get some Bils as when I got it the stockies were very tired. I put on some new BIls and drove them for about 30k miles without to much of a hassle; I just thought they were a bit stiff for my mostly daily/street driven Runner. They aren't bad at all and do there job well, however I pretty much bit the bullet and sucked up the money I had spent on them and stuck with them for that long. They started to get a bit softer after about 30k and I decided to go with some Trekmasters and I am VERY please with them all around.

The Bils did not die, just got a bit tired. Im happy with the switch and don't think I will be dissapointed as Tokico makes great products.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Contributing Member

Bils can probably be a little bit stiff for most on the 4runners...they were fine for me but a lot of people that rode in the Runner asked about it.

I would highly recommend them...sounds to me that you would think the Bils provide too harsh of a ride, you can feel quite a bit of bumps in em.

I would suggest maybe OME? They have some comfort shocks that are geared for a soft ride...I'd check those out. You can go to ARB's site or to www.wheelersoffroad.com for more info.

Strap22 on there can get them for you too (Toyota of Dallas)

Fink
Old 12-12-2005, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

ok guys thanks for the feedback. While the OMEs are nice, they have a rep for sagging quickly. Plus they cost twice as much as the treckmasters.

I'll be ordering the trekmasters in the next few weeks.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
While the OMEs are nice, they have a rep for sagging quickly. Plus they cost twice as much as the treckmasters.
Are we talking shocks or springs here?
The springs might lose height, but shocks don't sag.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

your right .. it's the springs. My mistake
Old 12-12-2005, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good morning. I did not realize there was this much activity on this thread. Sorry I have not been responsive. I have a busy morning but will respond to all ASAP.
- Peter
Old 12-12-2005, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
ok guys thanks for the feedback. While the OMEs are nice, they have a rep for sagging quickly. Plus they cost twice as much as the treckmasters.

I'll be ordering the trekmasters in the next few weeks.
What do you mean sag. I have had mine on for over 3 years now and they haven't sagged on me.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

From the reading on the boards when I had initially gotten my OME set up was the springs sag quicker then other set ups.

I only had my OME set up for 6 months, so I can't comment on the sag.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Paul H.
What do you mean sag. I have had mine on for over 3 years now and they haven't sagged on me.
Some people have reported a some height was lost over time from when the truck was first lifted when using OME springs. I have not seen this with mine personally but others have mentioned it.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Now mine did settle a little after about a month from when they were first installed but since then they haven't changed a bit.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:13 AM

Peter, any update on this. I'm going to pick these up soon off of Ebay, I just would have liked some first hand feedback.
The Tokico shocks are due to me on December 14th and I have an appointment with my mechanic for the 15th to install them. Then on the 16th I will be driving about 150 miles which will give me a decent amount of SOTP time for evaluation.

Originally Posted by noahrexion
I have driven them in ALL conditions now, for about 8k miles and I cannot imagine gettign anything else for a daily Runner that doesn't see much offroad. They feel MUCH better in corners than stock and are noticeable stiffer as well (not as bad as Bils though).
I spoke with Bilstein some time ago and in answer to any speculation about how much stiffer Bilstein's are than OEM, the answer is 15%.

One thing I was told to do a long time ago by KONI prior to installing any new shocks is; take each shock and extend the piston all the way out and then push it all the way in at least 3 times. This is done while holding the shock in a vertical position.

I know for a fact on two vehicles, the dampening of Bilsteins softened after about 30-40K miles, and that is not what I wanted. I don't think performance life with gas shocks can be measured the way we used to with fluid filled shocks; when they leaked we would see that the tube was wet and that meant the shock had expired. What I have found is that gas shocks get harder as they deteriorate and the rebound echo multiplys --- if that makes sense to you. What I do not like about Bilsteins is that they do not maintain consistant ride characteristics.

As for the PP (HR) springs, the front of my 4R is slightly lower (.5-1") now than when the springs were first installed, so I guess that means they have sagged. I have Eibachs on another vehicle and the same thing happened, but to an even greater degree.

Jason mentioned the Addco anti-sway bars. I went through a lot of trouble getting Addco to make us a correct(ed) bar for the rear of the 4R's and then to get the appropriate endlinks and brackets. I still have some issues with Addco because they were a very good company before they moved to Ashville NC --- hopefully they have their act together now. They also said that they were powdercoating their red bars but I think they merely epoxy painted them because the coating has cracked off considerably.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:33 AM

Tokico TrekMaster R/T Strut and Shock Road Test Report

Here is my experience with the new Tokico TrekMaster R/T shocks on my 2002 4WD 4Runner LTD.

Since no two vehicles are the same, I need to first qualify the unique characteristics that will affect my findings.
1) HR progressive rate springs
2) Addco front and rear sway bars (front +224%, rear +319% rate increase)
3) Energy Suspension Poly endlink and bracket bushings front and rear
4) Yokohama Geolander H/T-S tires at 34psi inflation (These are a harder rubber compound for increased wear)
5) Odometer reading: 41,000 miles

After driving 200 miles on a combination of interstate highway, country road, dirt road conditions I can say that the dampening characteristics are refined and solid. This will always be a “truck” so I still feel the bumps, expansion joint seams and pockets in roads but it feels like there is a pillow of insulation between the impediment and me. The rebound is solid and without echo. Body lean is reduced significantly.

My wife thinks the improvement is fabulous because the ½ mile dirt road we live on is like a mine field in Beirut, so I guess that says something. All in all, the ride is a lot less jarring and feels much more secure --- BUT, these are new shocks and the OEM shocks were old. If you are experiencing something like riding on rebar rods instead of shocks/struts then these are really good, but I have no way of comparing these to Bilstein or Monroe.

My mechanic had a devil of a time removing the upper bolts on the rear shocks and finally had to cut them off. Also, Tokico did not give me bushings and hardware for the front struts and they tell you to reuse your original hardware; the rear shocks come with everything.

I believe that I got exactly what I expected with these shocks and I am happy with everything --- ride, cost and pretty mountain green color

Resource:
www.SHOX.com
Front 4WD PN: GU3535
Rear 4WD PN: GE3536
Price delivered: $232.00

BTW, In my post preceding this one I mentioned a comment by Jason, I meant to say Jamie (MTL_4runner).
Old 12-17-2005, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ManyMods
Jason mentioned the Addco anti-sway bars. I went through a lot of trouble getting Addco to make us a correct(ed) bar for the rear of the 4R's and then to get the appropriate endlinks and brackets. I still have some issues with Addco because they were a very good company before they moved to Ashville NC --- hopefully they have their act together now. They also said that they were powdercoating their red bars but I think they merely epoxy painted them because the coating has cracked off considerably.
I noticed that others w/ Addco's have red bars. I just got mine recently and they're a gold color. Also, the front endlinks are beefed up but you have to use the rear stockers. It looks pretty flimsy and I'm hoping they don't snap.

What I'd like to do is go ES bushings and endlinks like you. Did you install these in one pop or did you do the ES stuff after the Addcos? The reason I'm asking is I hope you have an opinion on whether the ES stuff is worthwhile.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:44 AM

Hi Edwin,
It seems as though whenever I have done suspension upgrades, ES bushings were part of the modification. I do think they are worth it, but if you don't have the budget for it, it is not that big a deal; they just make your suspension that much stiffer.

The unfortunate thing for you is that you did not get into our small GP upgrade on the rear endlinks. I had Addco make special endlinks for the rear.

If you get new bar brackets for the front, make sure you get the HD TRUCK brackets/bushings from ES. Also, I like the greaseable bracket bushings for both front and rear.

PS, you might call Addco and see if they ran any additional production on those rear endlinks or if you can get enough guys together they may still have the specs and be willing to run a few sets for you.

Good luck
Old 12-17-2005, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ManyMods
PS, you might call Addco and see if they ran any additional production on those rear endlinks or if you can get enough guys together they may still have the specs and be willing to run a few sets for you.Good luck
I thought from your previous post that the beefier rear endlinks were from ES. If Addco doesn't have them, does ES? I was under the truck yesterday and they look like (small compared to the bar) they can snap at anytime.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:38 AM

I agree with your impression of the endlinks; however, I know of no one who has had them snap. I just did not like them and the way the ball socket moved around and that is why I got Addco --- not ES, to make the beefer dogbone style endlinks.

If you PM me with your personal email address I will send you out some pics when I get a chance.