Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

new to forum, need help, dead 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to forum, need help, dead 4runner

I have a 90 4runner V6. I got her a little deep in a mudhole and sucked up some water, shot one plug halfway out of the head. Took it apart, head went to machine shop and was fixed, put in new head gaskets, all that good stuff. Now she won't start, she cranks, but won't catch. I have adjusted the timing numerous times, she is getting fuel and at least enough spark to trip a timing light. The reassembly process was stretched out over a few weeks because I just started a new job, and could only spend about an hour a night working on it. Is there some plug or ground that I could have missed that would prevent it from starting? What else could it be? It almost sounds like she is out of time, but I retimed everything. Please help!

Thanks,
Shane
Old 07-27-2004, 06:47 AM
lee
Contributing Member

you came to the right place. i dont have any answers, but here's a bump for ya.

welcome to the forum...
Old 07-27-2004, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry no Ideas

BUMP, BUMP
Old 07-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

check the distributor

Originally Posted by rbdweezy
I have a 90 4runner V6. I got her a little deep in a mudhole and sucked up some water, shot one plug halfway out of the head. Took it apart, head went to machine shop and was fixed, put in new head gaskets, all that good stuff. Now she won't start, she cranks, but won't catch. I have adjusted the timing numerous times, she is getting fuel and at least enough spark to trip a timing light. The reassembly process was stretched out over a few weeks because I just started a new job, and could only spend about an hour a night working on it. Is there some plug or ground that I could have missed that would prevent it from starting? What else could it be? It almost sounds like she is out of time, but I retimed everything. Please help!

Thanks,
Shane
just a thought, check the distributor to make sure its oriented correctly. it may have been rotated 180 degrees during the reinstall.

lee
Old 07-27-2004, 11:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it blew the spark plug halfway out of the head, i will bet that it bent one or more of your rods, if it had enough pressure to tear the plug threads out of the head, the force on the piston would be much greater because of the surface area of the piston this is probably not why its failing to start but something to think about
Old 07-28-2004, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by rbdweezy

Thanks,
Shane
If you got spark, the problem probably isn't the ground.

Have you dropped the oil pan to take a look at the bottom end, does everything look to be ok?

This may sound silly, but did you mix up the spark plug wire order? (I've done this before...)
Old 07-28-2004, 10:08 AM

The truck actually ran before I tore everything down, it was just losing compression on the plug that was hurt. The plug would still go halfway in the head, just not far enough to seal. I doubt the bottom end is screwed because it was running ok before the teardown. It still cranks cleanly, just won't catch.

shane
Old 07-28-2004, 11:40 AM

just tested the coil. the resistence value across the positve/neg is supposed to be 9-15 K ohms. It measured out at .6 ohms. Think I found my problem.