Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New to forum, Can-back questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to forum, Can-back (and Bed Rug) questions

Hey everyone, new to the forum, as I just picked up an 04 Tacoma Double Cab TRD.

I am interested in fitting the vehicle with a can-back top, and am curious about how others have enjoyed it. I am mostly interested in build/fit quality, noise, sealing, etc. I like the fact that the SS model can support 350lbs., which is perfect for a roof tent.

Any feedback or opinions would be helpfull. thanks!

Last edited by expeditionswest; 04-30-2004 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Added bed rug?
Old 04-28-2004, 08:56 AM

I can't answer your question but welcome to toyatech.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

Great web site... and welcome to YT!

Sorry. Can't help with your can-back questions, but I'm sure a few of the Taco riders will kick-in shortly...
Old 04-28-2004, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the kind words on the website. A lot of hours spent on that baby

I have owned several Toyota's in the past, and made the error of buying a Land Rover Discovery II the last time. The LR vehicles are a great concept, just horrible execution!

Here are a few of the Toyota's I have owned:

1977 FJ40: Still in the family as my best friend bought it
1985 Truck: What an awesome vehicle, but I didnt get anywhere fast with 86 HP
1986 FJ60: Cool rig, just too big (for me at least)
1989 4Runner: Another great truck, and many years of perfect service!

And now I have the Tacoma Double Cab, which I love. I think it will make a great expedition rig. I do need to work on the suspension, which needs some serious tuning. I will be getting Donahoe coil-overs soon!

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
Old 04-28-2004, 09:28 AM

Welcome.

Your list of previously owned Toyotas brings tears to my eyes...

^_^

I can't offer any Can-Back info, other than to say I've yet to hear anything bad about the company or their tops.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:46 AM

Jake!

I totally dig your avatar, and the quote in your sig.! I would love to do some ice climbing.

I am a big outdoor nut, and do Rock Climbing, Kayaking, Mtn. Biking, Hiking, Spear Fishing, etc.

Oh, and I also love a little 4wd action too! I have been all over the Southwest, Rubicon, Mexico and Alaska with my vehicles. I go on 2-3 trips a month. If any of you are interested in one of my trips let me know (I am not a commercial guide, the trips are free)
Old 04-28-2004, 10:42 AM

Jake,

I will take you up on that! I love the Ouray area. I spent 10 days there in 2000, driving all over that place. What a beautiful spot. You are lucky to live there!

Bajataco is a very good friend of mine. We just completed an adventure race together in AZ. He recommended that I check out the forum.

Take a trip down to AZ lots to explore here, maybe even a little trek into Mexico! Let me know, and you will have a place to crash, and someone to show you around
Old 04-28-2004, 11:06 AM

Yea that website is cool. I'd love to do some of that stuff.. lack of funds holding me back. Oh and I have no experience. Someday I'll have enough money to afford those types of fun outings..
Old 04-28-2004, 12:05 PM

Thanks enigma!

The good thing for you, is that you have a very capable vehicle in stock form. You could easily travel most of the expedition routes in Baja and mainland Mexico, as well as some of the cool southwest routes like the White Rim Trail and El Camino Del Diablo. So instead of an expensive mod, take a cool trip! And the lack of experience part is no big deal either. Find a good club in OK, and go on some of their easy trails to build confidence in the vehicle and you driving it.

Last edited by expeditionswest; 04-28-2004 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:36 PM

Really?

My 4Runner is new to me so I wasn't really aware of what all it would be capable of in its stock form. It would be awesome to go do that sometime. Do you know of any trails in Oklahoma that I could go stock on?
Old 04-28-2004, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome. You have a very nice and informative website. I wish I live in the southwest instead of southeast so I can go those places too .

George
Old 04-28-2004, 12:45 PM

I will check out some trails in OK and let you know.

Your vehicle is of the era when Toyota still utilized "world" platforms, that were build for very extreme daily driving conditions (like Africa and Australia). That is why they last 300k miles when the soccer moms drive them on the streets in the US.

I fell in love with Toyota after driving a UN High-lux Toyota double cab solid axle diesel in Italy for 3 months. I wish we could get that truck in the states, but my double cab is a sufficient serogate.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by expeditionswest
I will check out some trails in OK and let you know.

Your vehicle is of the era when Toyota still utilized "world" platforms, that were build for very extreme daily driving conditions (like Africa and Australia). That is why they last 300k miles when the soccer moms drive them on the streets in the US.

I fell in love with Toyota after driving a UN High-lux Toyota double cab solid axle diesel in Italy for 3 months. I wish we could get that truck in the states, but my double cab is a sufficient serogate.

Scott,

I see you found this board, I was just checking out your website. Your adventures make me jealous!

Keep me updated on when you will be coming down for your sliders and we can talk about the rear tire carrier.

Jason
Old 04-28-2004, 01:16 PM

Will do Jason, I am even more excited about the rear bumper, now that I have seen the 4th gen 4runner unit you just completed.

I will send you an email in the next few days with my schedule.

Take care!
Old 04-28-2004, 01:20 PM

Will do Jason, I am even more excited about the rear bumper, now that I have seen the 4th gen 4runner unit you just completed.

I will send you an email in the next few days with my schedule.

Take care!
I also just finished (well almost finished) a rear for a tacoma for anther customer. It's one of the better ones that I have done so far.

If you havn't already choosen a suspension setup for your truck. I can help there a little also.

Jason
Old 04-28-2004, 01:50 PM

That sounds great Jason. I would really like your input on the suspension.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Enigma
Really?

My 4Runner is new to me so I wasn't really aware of what all it would be capable of in its stock form. It would be awesome to go do that sometime. Do you know of any trails in Oklahoma that I could go stock on?
Take a look at this list of 4wd clubs in OK. You have lots to choose from OK Clubs

Tell the club president that you are interested in running a 2.0-2.5 class trail (1-5 scale), and they should hook you up.

Of course this forum will be a great resource for mods, but keep it simple at first, focusing on the really important changes, rather than the stuff that just looks cool.

For what you are likely to do in the beginning, I would suggest that you invest in a good set of tires (a 31" diameter will fit your truck great), with a slightly aggresive tread, as OK has a lot of mud.

Next you should invest in a good set of rocker panel protection. Demello Off-road sells some very nice units. Demello-offroad

And before you lift the truck or add bumpers and winches (you will be traveling with a club), etc. I would invest in a traction device for the rear axle. That will make a huge improvement in the performance of the truck off-highway. Just do the tires and rocker protection first.

After that the sky is the limit, and you can easily invest twice the value of the vehicle in modifications. None of the other mods will net you the benifit of the ones I mentioned above without a lot of other compromises (like driving on the street, fuel economy, etc.) Of course this is just my opinion
Old 04-29-2004, 08:03 AM

Take a look at this list of 4wd clubs in OK. You have lots to choose from OK Clubs

Tell the club president that you are interested in running a 2.0-2.5 class trail (1-5 scale), and they should hook you up.

Of course this forum will be a great resource for mods, but keep it simple at first, focusing on the really important changes, rather than the stuff that just looks cool.
Great, thanks for the info. I will definately have to check that out sometime and see about going on a run of some sort. and yeah these guys are making me want to spend loads of money. The wife already hates this forum.

For what you are likely to do in the beginning, I would suggest that you invest in a good set of tires (a 31" diameter will fit your truck great), with a slightly aggresive tread, as OK has a lot of mud.

Next you should invest in a good set of rocker panel protection. Demello Off-road sells some very nice units. Demello-offroad

And before you lift the truck or add bumpers and winches (you will be traveling with a club), etc. I would invest in a traction device for the rear axle. That will make a huge improvement in the performance of the truck off-highway. Just do the tires and rocker protection first.
Actually I'm pretty sure it's got some 31s on it now. They are slightly worn so a replacement wouldn't be a bad idea sometime soon. Which tire do you recommend?

About the sliders, do folks often fab their own sliders? I'm just curious because my father-in-law does a bit of welding and my wife actually runs the office at a machine shop. So maybe I can get it done cheaper between the two than ordering off the net? I would like to take the running boards off and throw on some sliders tho.. keep everything safe.

After that the sky is the limit, and you can easily invest twice the value of the vehicle in modifications. None of the other mods will net you the benifit of the ones I mentioned above without a lot of other compromises (like driving on the street, fuel economy, etc.) Of course this is just my opinion
True.. I'm noticing that man.. this is somewhat addicting. And yea I don't want to compromise the ability to drive it on the street and fuel economy as this is my "daily driver" and gas isn't cheap.

Thanks again for the info.

Oh and sorry to hi-jack your thread.

Last edited by Enigma; 04-29-2004 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the board Scott!! I wish I live in California, there are tons of nice places to run around there. I visit California at least 3 times a year, but normally I fly, gotta drive my truck over and meet with you guys sometimes
Old 04-29-2004, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Enigma
Really?

Hey Enigma, I been to Grand Lake and Disney area for some run. It should't be too fat from Tulsa. You might wanna check that out!!

Quick Reply: New to forum, Can-back questions