Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New black rims and overhead console installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
...its pretty cool, yes, but theres other more useful things that i could buy for that same money.
Agreed. Mine's in and staying in, but the fun factor wore off pretty quick. I like keeping my brain active doing C->F in my head though.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob_98sr5- Thanks for the example of the SEM color. I am going to order the SEM paint tonight.

Just in case any one is wondering, the unit shipped was about $150 from New Zeland. I was not the lucky one who paid $600 plus for the field unit from Japan. The field unit is cool but not $600 cool.

Midiwall- The instructions I recieved from the seller had the following wiring diagram for a Toyota Hilux LN185 1996-2000 model:

-Blue/yel to constant 12 Volt
-Whi/red to Switch 12v (ignition)
-Grn/Org to Speed sensor
-Blue to outside air temp sensor
-Yel/blk to outside air temp sensor
-whi/blk to ground
-white to sunroof switch light dimmer
-blu/white to sunrook switch light dimmer

I did connect the temp sensor and ran the wires through the firewall, across the A pillar and into the roof liner. The wires on the temp sensor were Blue and yel/blk. I connected these wires to the same colored wires on the white plug on the field unit. For the dimmer (green wire on field unit) I connected this to the dimmer wire on my clocks wiring harness. I did not know where to locate another dash light dimmer wire and found it easiest to splice the clocks dimmer wire.

My 4runner only had one button that controlled the tilt/slide. The field unit had two buttons. I swapped the sunroof control from my existing overhead console into the field unit. It fit perfectly. I did not have to swap the actual lights and light switch since they were identical on both units.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:40 PM

looks HOT and evil
Old 08-16-2006, 07:54 PM

So if I look for one on ebay what do I type in?
Old 08-17-2006, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted bygregbreakseverything
Im jelous of your field unit. My dreams were broken when the last one on ebay went for something like 600 bucks. Nice 4runner setup, looks friggin sweet.
Yeah that was crazy! I got mine for $165 w/ shipping.

Originally posted by Midiwall
Yeah.. the only thing that I can think of is that mine came from an Asian source, and you guys found yours in Europe, right? That may explain the rearview mirror mounting differences and the single vs. double sunroof controls.
Well, I got mine from a European source, but it came out of Hong Kong originally. (Anotherwords, it was an asian unit.) Mine also came w/ the double sunroof controls, but I was able to do like soljah did and just swap my existing 1-button sunroof control into the new Field Unit. I've had this thing for months now, but was discouraged when nothing fit like yours did Midiwall, so it's just been sitting in my closet collecting dust. I wired it up last night by just swapping everything over and now my dome lights and sunroof are working great in the new Field Unit. Next will be wiring up everything else through the headliner down the A-pillar.

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
guys,

the 96-98 4runners had dual switches to control the sunroof whereas the 99-02s had a single switch. http://www.4runners.org/articles/centerroof

soljah: the last pic in my writeup will give you an idea of how close the SEM will match the oak plastic in your 4runner

bob

That's true, but I'm still confused why Midiwall had to modify the unit itself just to get it to fit? He had to trim it and even modify the mirror to fit. Mine and Soljah's fit perfectly w/o any modding what so ever. Second, I learned that these field units were only offered through '01 4Rs. Not '02 which is what year 4R I have. So even if the field unit I have came out of '96-'98, how do you explain that it fit perfectly in my '02 headliner unlike Midiwall's? (I'm not trying to argue w/ you, just trying to find some reasoning behind ours and Midiwall's.) Looks like I could be the first to have an '02 w/ a field unit in it!

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
my opinion on these: i saw it in person in satoshi's truck while i was in japan in mid-june. i would buy it if i could get it for $130 or below, but not $600 (whoever paid that mustve REALLY wanted it )

that said, i dont think its all that. its pretty cool, yes, but theres other more useful things that i could buy for that same money.

bob
That's true...I don't believe it's worth 600 bucks either, but it's cool nontheless. Some guys are into tire and lift mods, while others are into electronics and interior mods. What something is "worth" is different for everybody. I see some of the stuff people buy and think there is no way I'd pay that much for it, and I know for a fact, friends of mine laugh at some of the stuff I buy.

Originally posted by soljah
Just in case any one is wondering, the unit shipped was about $150 from New Zeland. I was not the lucky one who paid $600 plus for the field unit from Japan. The field unit is cool but not $600 cool.

Did you buy yours from Henry? I suggested to him to find me another one of these units to play w/. It took him about 1 wk to find one (he said he got lucky), and about 3-4wks to get all the info on it, make it work and prepare it for ebay. He sent me the link for it and I watched it all week unit it broke $100. I was waiting to see who the lucky person was who bought it. Congratulations if that was you!

Originally posted by sdstud212001
So if I look for one on ebay what do I type in?
Here are some suggestions:

Toyota Hilux Surf / Hilux Surf / Toyota Surf / Surf Field Unit / JDM Field Unit / JDM Field Unit Console / JDM Surf Unit...and so on. Just play around w/ the word order. My friend called me to let me know one was going on Ebay, so unless you know someone selling one, you just have to search around Ebay every so often.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:51 AM

Rock slide- Glad to here you got the light switch installed. The hard part is going to be getting the wires down the roof to the sensors.

I did purchase the field unit from Henry. He may be posting an auction at some point in time for the non-sunroof version field unit.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Soljah
Rock slide- Glad to here you got the light switch installed. The hard part is going to be getting the wires down the roof to the sensors.

I did purchase the field unit from Henry. He may be posting an auction at some point in time for the non-sunroof version field unit.
Yeah, I'm so glad you suggested to do that. I'd never thought just switching them out would work!

Yeah Henry's a cool guy. He was selling the analog units that sit on the dash in late model 4Rs on Ebay. I saw his auctions and just asked him if he'd ever though about selling field units out of a 3rd gen. He said he hadn't and said he'd try and find one. He was lucky to find one so quick. Like I said, I was little disappointed I let this one get away, but hey, if I hadn't I never would thought about swapping stuff over like you did. Thanks again.

oh, and I'll send you a PM in a sec about what we talked about.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by soljah
The instructions I received from the seller had the following wiring diagram for a Toyota Hilux LN185 1996-2000 model:

-Blue/yel to constant 12 Volt
-Whi/red to Switch 12v (ignition)
-Grn/Org to Speed sensor
-Blue to outside air temp sensor
-Yel/blk to outside air temp sensor
-whi/blk to ground
-white to sunroof switch light dimmer
-blu/white to sunroof switch light dimmer

I did connect the temp sensor and ran the wires through the firewall, across the A pillar and into the roof liner. The wires on the temp sensor were Blue and yel/blk. I connected these wires to the same colored wires on the white plug on the field unit. For the dimmer (green wire on field unit), I connected this to the dimmer wire on my clock's wiring harness. I did not know where to locate another dash light dimmer wire and found it easiest to splice the clock's dimmer wire.

My 4runner only had one button which controlled the tilt/slide. The field unit had two buttons. I swapped the sunroof control from my existing overhead console into the field unit. It fit perfectly. I did not have to swap the actual lights and light switch since they were identical on both units.
I'll be tackling my own installation this weekend...