Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New black rims and overhead console installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New black rims and overhead console installed

Just finished installing my new rims and overhead console this weekend on my truck. The rims are black procomp 7089's 16x8 w 4.5 bs w/ 285 BFG AT KO's. No rubbing at full turn so far. These took forever to arrive due to them being backordered for months. I also installed a overhead console that I purchased from a JDM parts dealer in New Zeland. The unit was originally gray and has been painted black. I hope at some point I can find some paint that matches the factory trim.

The console install for the sunroof model involved swapping the sunroof controls from the original into the JDM version. The blue sunroof plug in my truck was different in size and pins compared to the JDM console. I am no electrician so I found it easier to just swap the sunroof control from my existing console into the new overhead console. The unit does not have or need the metal bracket like the non-sunroof version JDM console and it also does not require you to swap your mirror out or cut your headliner. The two consoles are almost identical minus one screw hole for the sunroof controls . Wiring involved splicing the newly swapped sunroof control to the JDM white wire harness and connecting the sensors and illumination. I did not have to swap the light bulb fixtures and switches due to them being identical as well. The console attaches at the same screw hole as the original on the roof. If anyone knows what the JDM white harness (white and blue/white) sunroof switch light dimmer wire would connect to please let me know. I have left the two unconnected for now. The unit seems to work without the two wires.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Looks good!

Thread hi-jack:

Can you point me towards more picture of your bumper, please? I notice in one picture you don't have the original TJM turn signal in place. I'd like to see more pics of your setup.

Thanks!

[/hijack off]

EDIT: By the way, SEM makes paint that matches the oak interior really closely. It's SEM Castella #15223. Hope that helps

Last edited by HaveBlue; 08-15-2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:21 PM

It's like looking at my runner!
great choice on the wheels
leave the console black. looks good
Old 08-15-2006, 07:23 PM

Thanks I will take some pics and post later. I swapped in the TJM kit for the turn signal/fog light and did the turn signal relocation mod.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, I really like the overhead console. Where'd you get it and how much? Is that for a 3rd gen hilux?
Old 08-15-2006, 08:05 PM

yea thats really nice!!

Originally Posted by ebelen1
Wow, I really like the overhead console. Where'd you get it and how much? Is that for a 3rd gen hilux?
Old 08-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

nice job
Old 08-15-2006, 08:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by soljah
If anyone knows what the JDM white harness (white and blue/white) sunroof switch light dimmer wire would connect to please let me know. I have left the two unconnected for now. The unit seems to work without the two wires.
pssssssttt...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/hilux-surf-overhead-console-installed-3rd-gen-83908/
(my pics are missing due to a server issue at my domain)

The colors are different, but baased on the "E" on your display, I'd bet that they're for your temp sensor.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:58 PM

Thanks everyone for all the great comments.

HaveBlue- Thank you for the SEM color code. I have been looking for that info. I just requested a color sample sheet from them on Sunday and your info is going to help speed up the completion of this project.

Eblen1- After the first 2 auctions for these overhead consoles ended, I got lucky and found another from a seller in New Zeland. I do not know if there are more available. If you are looking for one, keep your eyes open on ebay or try and locate a JDM parts dealer in another country other than Japan. It seems that it is very difficult to find one of these in a Japanese junk yards.

Midiwall- Thank you for your post on this install. I studied that thread trying to figure out how to install it. Any suggestions on what I should connect the mystery wires to? I connected the temp sensor wires to the same colored wires on the JDM white wire harness. These two mystery wires were the only two things different compared to your install/instructions. Based on the description of the wire(sunroof switch light dimmer) I can only think that it needs to somehow get spliced into the sunroof controls. I have not been able to find any information as to the sunroof switch on the JDM version being dimmable as well to help with identifying where to make these connections.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
soljah, nice field unit! I've got one too I'm trying to install.

Nice 4Runner by the way.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
pssssssttt...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83908
(my pics are missing due to a server issue at my domain)

The colors are different, but baased on the "E" on your display, I'd bet that they're for your temp sensor.
I saw your post but for some reason, I thought yours was different. Maybe it's just the color thing but after reading through yours and realizing how difficult this would be, I stopped reading.

After reading here, I had more false hope. Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:00 AM

very nice console and i LOVE that runner...
Old 08-16-2006, 06:09 AM

Im jelous of your field unit. My dreams were broken when the last one on ebay went for something like 600 bucks. Nice 4runner setup, looks friggin sweet.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn, good lookin truck.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by soljah
Any suggestions on what I should connect the mystery wires to? I connected the temp sensor wires to the same colored wires on the JDM white wire harness. These two mystery wires were the only two things different compared to your install/instructions. Based on the description of the wire (sunroof switch light dimmer) I can only think that it needs to somehow get spliced into the sunroof controls. I have not been able to find any information as to the sunroof switch on the JDM version being dimmable as well to help with identifying where to make these connections.
Ummm, I'm confused... Where did the text "sunroof switch light dimmer" come from? The only "dimmer" connection is actually to get the backlight on the LCD panel to dim along with the dash lights.

The "E" in your temp reading is from the temp sensor not being hooked up. What temp sensor wires did you hook up? Did you get a sensor with yours, and then did you run wires from it up the A-pillar, across the headliner to the unit, or?

Your unit is slightly different than mine - I got one that had separate buttons for TILT and SLIDE on the sunroof - which is just like what my truck had to begin with. But, the general actions will be the same. I figure that there's additional logic in that single-switch version to operate the sunroof in both modes.

...I found it easier to just swap the sunroof control from my existing console into the new overhead console.
So... what exactly did you swap? The single sunroof button and lights?

I saw your post but for some reason, I thought yours was different. Maybe it's just the color thing but after reading through yours and realizing how difficult this would be, I stopped reading.

After reading here, I had more false hope. Thanks again.
Ehh, it's really not that hard to get in Edwin. Mine was a breeze... even with the small bit of grinding I had to do.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's odd though Mark, that neither me nor soljah had to modify the Unit to get it to fit like you did. Wonder what Toyota was up to then?
Old 08-16-2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
That's odd though Mark, that neither me nor soljah had to modify the Unit to get it to fit like you did. Wonder what Toyota was up to then?
Yeah.. the only thing that I can think of is that mine came from an Asian source, and you guys found yours in Europe, right? That may explain the rearview mirror mounting differences and the single vs. double sunroof controls.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
guys,

the 96-98 4runners had dual switches to control the sunroof whereas the 99-02s had a single switch. http://www.4runners.org/articles/centerroof

soljah: the last pic in my writeup will give you an idea of how close the SEM will match the oak plastic in your 4runner

bob
Old 08-16-2006, 01:20 PM

DAMN I WANT ONE!!! If anyone anywhere gets a source for them, PLEASE POST IT!
Old 08-16-2006, 01:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my opinion on these: i saw it in person in satoshi's truck while i was in japan in mid-june. i would buy it if i could get it for $130 or below, but not $600 (whoever paid that mustve REALLY wanted it )

that said, i dont think its all that. its pretty cool, yes, but theres other more useful things that i could buy for that same money.

bob

Quick Reply: New black rims and overhead console installed