Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New 4Runner won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 4Runner won't start!

Hello all, I'm new here. Just bought my first 4runner yesterday. It is a 1996 with the 3.4, automatic, 170k miles. Drove fine yesterday, the price was right so I bought it.
My problem. I put new brakes on today, jumped in to do a test drive and it wouldn't start. It fired for 1 second and just barely started then stopped!
It cranks fine, the timing belt is fine, I pulled a plug and it had fuel on it.
There are no OBDII codes at all.
Anybody have any ideas? I'm lost. It has to be an electronic ignition problem, I think, but where do I start. Could the ECM have gone bad on me just then or what?
It is cold here but not that cold (around freezing), but I don't think that would matter.
Another note...I get a major static shock when I ground myself (like shutting the door) after trying to start it...not sure if that plays in but thought I'd mention it.
Thanks in advance.
Jeremy

Last edited by 400orBust; 12-06-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:29 PM

Followup...I pulled a plug wire off and attached a spark tester and cranked it over. It was the #5 plug and it does have spark! I'm really at a total loss!
I was pretty sure it has fuel because when I pulled a spark plug out earlier today it smelled like fuel and even looked a bit wet but now I'm questioning that because it seems if you have fuel and spark there would be some sort of fire! Is it safe to squirt a little fuel into the intake to see if it fires or not?
Old 12-06-2009, 04:34 PM

If the plug is wet it could be flooded. Try cranking with the gas pedal flat on the floor.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:38 PM

I did try that but no luck.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

i'm not familiar with the 3.4 but i would test the VAMF/MAF and take a look at all the fuses and relays even though there are no codes. idk buddy you got a real stumpper on your hands. i hope you figure it out, you made a good choice in buying a vehicle, 4runners can be tempermental at times but once you get them running good, they refuse to quit. Look up DeathCougar or 4x4Fink, they're good at figuring these things out.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:14 PM

Intermittent signal from the crank or cam position sensor. It's not sensing timing at the correct position, so the thing wont start.

I could be wrong, but worth checking. Crank Pos Sensor is a BIOTCH to get at.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nah2323
Intermittent signal from the crank or cam position sensor. It's not sensing timing at the correct position, so the thing wont start.

I could be wrong, but worth checking. Crank Pos Sensor is a BIOTCH to get at.
yeah they are lol.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:50 PM

Ok, thanks for the replys. I'll try some things tomorrow and let you know. Too dark and cold outside now!
Old 12-07-2009, 02:38 PM

I've checked everything I can think of. I definately have fuel, I pulled all the plugs one at a time and they all spark. I have battery voltage at the coils and I resistance tested the coils..all good. I've checked all relays and sensors I can think of except the crankshaft position sensor as I'm not sure where it is. I think it is down next to the crank pulley and you have to take the skid plate off to get to it right??
I also double checked and the timing belt is good and intact.
The only other thing I can think of is the computer. I don't that that is it though because I have fuel and spark, what could possibly be keeping this thing from starting?
Anyone have another idea?
Old 12-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 400orBust
... except the crankshaft position sensor as I'm not sure where it is. I think it is down next to the crank pulley and you have to take the skid plate off to get to it right??
yeah the 4 bolts come out and it drops right out. it would be worth checking. if you already tested the VAMF/MAF then the computer would be the only other thing i could think of.
have you done a compression test? another possibility maybe?
Old 12-07-2009, 03:09 PM

try swapping computers with a buddy and see if that fixes the problem... iam sure a ecu is alot easier than doing a crankshaft postion sensor. It wouldnt hurt to do a compression check.. its just a thought.. pull your o2 sensors your catalyic convert maybe clogged up and wont allow the engine to run.. its worth a try... trust me..
just get crazy with some either and spray into the intake... if you cant figure anything after that.. i would be calling up Toyota.. and pump the dealership for questions.. on what is going on.. just keep to the basic's and everything else should just fall into place..

Last edited by 1990yota-pickup; 12-07-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Compression check x3. You know there was a thread in here from a guy with a similar problem - truck suddenly wouldn't start when it got cold. Turns out he had an extreme engine sludge issue which killed his compression (the pictures were downright scary). I tried to search for the thread a minute ago and it didn't pop right up, but I'm sure someone else knows the one or you could find it with some looking.

I bet that's NOT what's happening with your truck, but checking compression would still be a good idea.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:57 PM

I'd check the coolant temp sensor, mine went bad on me once.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xfactor203
Compression check x3. You know there was a thread in here from a guy with a similar problem - truck suddenly wouldn't start when it got cold. Turns out he had an extreme engine sludge issue which killed his compression (the pictures were downright scary). I tried to search for the thread a minute ago and it didn't pop right up, but I'm sure someone else knows the one or you could find it with some looking.
I cant remember what thread that was either....but thats what came to mind.... that and another where something broke and 1 of the 4 cams wasnt spinning....I'm not all that familiar w the 3.4's tho.... good luck.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Team420
I cant remember what thread that was either....but thats what came to mind.... that and another where something broke and 1 of the 4 cams wasnt spinning....I'm not all that familiar w the 3.4's tho.... good luck.
This one....
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/e...tlessy-193859/
Old 12-07-2009, 06:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ugggh... I'm cringing all over again....that really was nasty!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:56 AM

Thanks for all the replys guys. So here is where I am at today....I just finished compression checking....no compression at all on cyl. 1, 3 & 5 (passenger side) other bank looks ok. I guess my next step is to get into the timing belt area and see if the timing is on. I'm guessing a cam shaft must've broke??? I'm not sure what else it could be as the timing belt is intact. I'll try to update today as I go along. I guess it is possible that I could have the same problem as that other guy with the gunked up engine as the day after I bought it it got cold here so maybe mine is the same way...I know the previous owners (losers...about how I feel about them right now) didn't keep up on regular maintenance. Unfortunately I spent alot more than $300 for my 4runner. Stay tuned...Jeremy

Last edited by 400orBust; 12-08-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:22 AM

Timing is definately out. Passenger side must be out of time by about 45 degrees! I'm thinking the timing belt must slipped. There is alot of reddish junk down below the timing belt that looks like it is messing up the belt and maybe that is what made it slip. Seems like I read somewhere on one of these forums that someone's water pump was leaking and the crusty junk messed up the timing belt and made it slip...I'm thinking that is what happened to me. So hopefully I can put on a new pump and new belt and call it good. The passenger side valve cover is leaking I suppose I should put a new gasket on there since I'm this far in (don't really want to...just want to get it running again).
Old 12-08-2009, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by 400orBust
Timing is definately out. Passenger side must be out of time by about 45 degrees! I'm thinking the timing belt must slipped. There is alot of reddish junk down below the timing belt that looks like it is messing up the belt and maybe that is what made it slip. Seems like I read somewhere on one of these forums that someone's water pump was leaking and the crusty junk messed up the timing belt and made it slip...I'm thinking that is what happened to me. So hopefully I can put on a new pump and new belt and call it good. The passenger side valve cover is leaking I suppose I should put a new gasket on there since I'm this far in (don't really want to...just want to get it running again).
That is your leaking water pump for sure, had the same thing on mine.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you nailed it down--also check the crank pully bolt--they might have changed the timing belt and didnt torque it down good enough (i know it looks old--just saying). AND IF YOU DO REPLACE the timing belt (213 Ft Lbs of torque on the crank bolt not 187). I also used Loctite.

If you do see the gunk after pulling the valve covers--the other guy pulled his heads--but I would figure running ATF/oil would work also. Just to get it to that point where you can use some decent oil......

Quick Reply: New 4Runner won't start!