Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New at This

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New at This

I've got a question regarding wheel trim for my new '02 sunfire red 4Runner. I think the chrome looks best but I am concerned about how well it will hold up over the years. Should I opt for the black, factory fender flares? Also, regarding the height of the truck, my parents and kids have a hard time getting up and in. Would you recommend the chrome, factory running boards or some type of side step (nerf bars, tube steps, etc.)? As you can see I'm a bit indecisive about this stuff. Thanks to all for your input.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

A guy named Ron S used to have a sunfire red 4Runner. If I remember correctly, he bought the black fender flares and had them painted to match the rest of the truck. It looked really nice.
I don't have any pictures. Can anyone else help me out here?
Old 10-16-2002, 06:39 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome to the board Matt.

HaveBlue, I looked on Gadget's site for pics of the his sunfire 4Runner, but can't find any.

I think a set of aftermarket Bushwacker flares left in the black they come in would look sharp on your rig Matt.

There are several outfits that make nice aftermarket nerfs too that would look great if you decide to remove the rb's.

This should get you started.

Bushwacker

Perf's own line of flares.

I like the look of Perf's better than the Bush Street Flares, they are wider.
I don't think they make the Bush "Extend a Fender" model like mine for your year.

Old 10-16-2002, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Matt,

Welcome aboard! Where 'bouts in MA are you? I used to go to school out there (Babson MBA) and was just there for a wedding two weekends ago. Fun town.

As far as which running boards to go with, the factory running boards are pretty good if you don't intend to off road much. They get bent pretty easily b/c of the height. On the other hand, the step tubes give you a little more clearance but they allow more dirt to accumulate between the bottom edge of the 4runner and the step tubes themselves. Nissan Pathfinder owners universally complain about this b/c their pants cuffs get dirty when they exit their inferior vehicles.

In regards to the fender flares, IMHO it really depends what look you like. But I believe w/ the Limited style fender flares, you will have to do some drilling into the body near the doors. Someone correct me if I am wrong, please. In addition, those things are NOT cheap. The SR5 fender flares are extremely simple to remove and install. I've done it many 'o times.

You might want to also consider Xenon fender flares. IMHO, they are the best looking ones out there and are made of a nice, durable urethane (sp?) material.

Whatever you decide re fender flares, make sure you have a rubber "gasket" between the fender flares and the body of the 4runner. The Limiteds have this rubber gasket while the SR5 black fender flares do not.

If you don't have this rubber gasket in there, the up and down rubbing will cause deep scratches and pits in your paint. I took off my black SR5-style fender flares and this exactly happened to my paint.

Based on Jalaber's advice (check out his website---good tips there), I bought the rubber gasket and installed them. Check out his write up at http://www.top4runners.com/ja/. Click on "Additions 2" and you'll see it towards the bottom of the page.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 10-16-2002 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:24 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
That's a good idea on the trim Bob if Matt goes with the SR5 flares.

My Bushwackers came with it.
I have enough play in my flares I can grab them too and pull them out a bit to clean any gunk that gets stuck in there, and the trim seems too keep the metal underneath nice.

On that trim article, I know I have seen that before
Old 10-16-2002, 10:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Matt:

I was looking around the ODW forum and found these two threads that might interest you:

Expensive!
http://www.outdoorwire.com/ubb/ultim...;f=13;t=013836

Bushwackers for Sale:
http://www.outdoorwire.com/ubb/ultim...;f=15;t=002246

Bob
Old 10-16-2002, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Matt, glad to see you made it over. Told you these guys would give you more tips than just I could. Good Luck.