Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need diagram for wiring in driver's door

Old 05-30-2010, 08:18 PM
LK1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need diagram for wiring in driver's door

1998 4Runner Limited.

I have been experiencing an intermittent failure of my LF speaker. For the most part it has been working when the door was closed and not when it is open.

I determined that if I wiggled the rubber sleeve in the door jamb I could make the speaker work intermittently.

I suspect either my ground or speaker wire is shot and need to be replaced.

I intend to take the door panel and kick panel off and just run new wire to replace any broken wires.

Ideas? Suggestions?

A diagram listing the colors for the wires in the door harness would be awesome.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2010, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/
look here for links to FSM
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/
here it is called General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related)
Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Not going to find much in the FSM for wire diagrams for the doors them selves but if you check under Radio, find the wiring for output from radio and it should show you overall diagram along with wire colors. If I can remember to do it I'll check mine (I have a 98). Not hard at all, just need to check at the speakers when you disconnect them then follow them through the door jam. Once you get into the cab, cut and splice in the new wires, route back through the jam and sleeve and to the speakers.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

Here's a wiring diagram for a 2002 from a digital FSM I got a little while ago. I'm not sure if this will be of help to you or not, but maybe the colors in the diagram correspond to wire colors.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Speaker Wiring.pdf (23.9 KB, 245 views)

Last edited by 98SR54RUNNER; 06-01-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:08 PM
LK1

Thanks guys. I figure I will just unhook the wires from the speaker and work backward from there.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/fsm/wiring.html
Old 06-02-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The above two links/attachments for the speakers is the same for our trucks so the wire colors should be as described. I wouldn't think anyone has replaced them unless there were speaker upgrades done by someone else. Bottom line here is you should be able to identify the wires in the cab that will be routed through the door jams. If your problem is intermittent as you described, you most likely have one of the following:
1) intermittent open in the either of the two wires from the speaker through the jam. possible pinched wire, broken or creased.
2) wire crimps for speaker connectors is loose. May need to be tightened with a small pair of pliers.
3) bad solder joint in the speaker connectors that come from the speaker cones to the connector board on the speaker itself.

I would recommend that while you have the door pulled apart to check the speakers also Pull the radio and remove the harness off the radio. Use a multimeter and do a continuity check with a multimeter from one end of the harness to the coresponding wire at the speaker. If you have a helper available, while you are checking the wire continuity, have them flex the wire bundle that goes through the door jam. Check both left and right sides as well as the speaker ground wires (4 wires for the front speakers).

Hopefully the issue is the wires going through the door jam. Will be a simple fix once identified, just cut and splice new wire for the affected wire and route through the door jam sleeve to your speaker. Good luck

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 06-02-2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-03-2010, 08:31 PM
LK1

Follow up. Thanks again for all your help.

I pulled the door panel and the kick panel out, identified the wires coming from the speaker (pink and purple) and followed them back through the door to the connector up in the kick panel.

There are two connectors in the kick panel that supply the windows/locks and speakers. I had to unplug them both in order to pull them out into the jamb. I unwrapped the tape securing the rubber sleeve to run the replacement wires through it. Clipped and crimped the new wires at each end(I ran both + and - because I would hate to do it again for 1 wire) Taped everything back up, secured the new wires to the existing wiring and voila! sound. Doubled tested all the controls and buttoned it back up.

Gave myself a scare this morning. After I finished last night I cleaned the switches and door panel. Get in today, I go to put all the windows down and hit the passenger side button and nothing happens. Oh ! Start running through what I could have done wrong and about 50 feet later look down and see I had pressed the window lockout while cleaning it.