Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

need advise...8 P codes misfire issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation need advise...8 P codes misfire issue

My 97 4Runner 3.4 started chugging so I read my codes and I am currently reading 8 codes. I had a flashing mil light but it went off.

P0300 - MISFIRE RANDOM CYLINDER
P0302 - MISFIRE CYLINDER 2
P0304 - MISFIRE CYLINDER 4
P0306 - MISFIRE CYLINDER 6

P1300 - IGNITER CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION (NO. 1)
P0100 - MASS AIR FLOW CIRCUIT FAULT
P0110 - INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE (IAT) CIRCUIT FAULT

P0500 - VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR MALFUNCTION

ok so here is the deal
*It was running good and past emissions inspection last month.
**It rained 5" overnight and filled my abs computer with water and shorted it out (wife had keys and all windows were down abs comp dangles upside down behind rear seat)
***over heats sometime but that day I pulled the condenser and washed out the sand from clogging the fins of the radiator (stopped over heating issue, topped off radiator)
****started chugging when fuel was low so I filled my fuel cell with rusty gerry can (I filter this particular can) chugging continued.
******ran a can of sea foam with gas light on (think it made a difference but not sure)

What I think
-Fuel filter clogged
-vac leak
-clogged fuel rail (just realized all cylinders mifires are on the same side of motor)
-blown head gasket

Where do you think I should start?
What are the specs for injector ohms?
What should the compression be?

If it everstops raining I could get compression hopefully tomarrow.....
The P0500 code is because I pulled a wire out from my dash and unplugged my taco tcase speed sensor.

Last edited by Hyperlite; 06-11-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Find the FSM from the link in my sig.....it will have the specs you need.

What shape are the plugs and spark plug wires in? All the ground wires attached and clean under the hood?

Did these codes all pop after the rain soaked everything?
Old 06-11-2012, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon
Find the FSM from the link in my sig.....it will have the specs you need.

What shape are the plugs and spark plug wires in? All the ground wires attached and clean under the hood?

Did these codes all pop after the rain soaked everything?
newish plugs I pulled the plug from cylinder 1 and it was white, indicating it was running lean in that cylinder 1 but it never threw that cylinder code. The plugs should need replacing I got the runner in 2000 and I never replaced the plugs. I used a stethoscope and all injecters sound the same.

All these codes come after the rain but it has had a misfire before bank 1 sensor 1, but I moved my battery from the bed to the engine compartment and that code went away.

I had to clear my codes for inspections, those codes were shift selenoid (broken crossmember) had previously bank 1 sensor 1 code also...

dang I wish I lived in the next county and I would already put a 4cyl cummings in the 4runner crappy emmisions and EPA.....
Old 06-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Did the main ECM computer get wet too? Check all the fuses. Thinking a electrical problem versus a fuel problem since it happened after the rain.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon
Did the main ECM computer get wet too? Check all the fuses. Thinking a electrical problem versus a fuel problem since it happened after the rain.
ECM is sealed in plastic. Im thinking more of a clog in the fuel system. The only computers I did not seal were the ABS and the alarm.... ie put in thick plastic and seal w/ silicon. Afterall this motor has been underwater,under mud, filled with mud and hydrolocked all while bouncing off the rev limiter, but this was all years and years ago. It could be from my pre desert storm gerry can and the gunk my filter/funnel didn't take out, clogging my fuel system. It could be an electrical issue cause I have an engine cage and there is no body or inner fenders from the fire wall forward just sheet metal.... I will check the ecm for condensation an hopefully I will have a clear day soon.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Any update?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:43 PM

It seems to be a timing issue. I began to pull the injectors to clean them and I removed the timing cover/upper rad hose to get better access to the fuel rail and I noticed my 6 month old timing belt was torn and the drivers side cam was off by 2-3 teeth. So out comes my magnet and I began fishing inside the lower cover. I pulled a half of a demolished race and 3 small bearings. So I put the magnet away and off to the parts store for a $250 timing kit and brake parts cleaner. When I broke down the timing belt I noticed a seized upper pully and the tensioner had no bearings only 2 peices of round metal only being held in by the tension of the belt. I replaced everything and it runs perfectly.

Last edited by Hyperlite; 06-14-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

Glad you found the issue and are back running. The pulley failure just happened to be co-incidential with the rain it would seem.

I've gotten in the habit of changing both pulleys at each TB/water pump change. Sure beats going back in there later.

Thanks for posting the resolution.

Last edited by rworegon; 06-15-2012 at 05:47 AM.