Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Name my drivetrain problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name my drivetrain problems

Base info: 2000 3.4L 5spd 4x4. 140,000 miles, changed fluids 10,000 miles ago, looked good.

I think I am having multiple things go bad on me, but I fear asking about them at the shops around here as I think they'll fix it all even if it's not needed and charge me more.

Here's my symptoms:

Under heavy acceleration I can feel my truck shudder. Time for a new clutch right?

When I've been crawling or pulling a heavy trailer I smell hot gear oil through the shifter case. Is this the clutch too?

Leaving 2nd gear from above 3500k RPM for 3rd gear causes gear grinding. This didn?t start happening until I burnt my clutch a little pulling on some steep hills. I haven?t seen any leaks from the master or slave.

I can't downshift from 2nd to 1st unless I am barely moving without mashing gears..

I cannot always shift into reverse after being parked without rolling a few inches forward or back. I always park with my truck in 1st.

This is my first manual that I?ve driven long enough to need overhauling. I would love for all my problems to be solved by a new clutch and flywheel resurfacing, but wondering if I might need a new master and slave cylinders, or just need them rebuilt or what. Also as this is my DD and I rarely drive over 65mph, I was wondering if I should go with a heavier flywheel for the pulling of trailers I do at mostly slower speeds.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:34 AM
Maj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Symptoms of needing a new clutch are slipping or chattering (stuttering takeoffs in 1st gear). Clutches will emit an unpleasant odor when they slip which might smell like gear oil to some. Slipping is most evident in the higher gears. A warped clutch disk might cause problematic shifting. Are you losing any tranny oil?

If you got the cash, new master and slave cylinders might not be a bad idea. A new clutch will sometimes cause them to fail from the increased pressure of the new springs. New or rebuilt is always a controversial topic. If the prices are close, then it is a no brainer to get the new stuff. Or you could spring for a new master and get a rebuilt slave since the slave is fairly easy to replace should it fail. IMHO, if you need more omph, regear instead using a heavier flywheel.