Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My New Audio System Polk Audio db6501 Components and maybe new sub (ongoing project)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i love my polk subs.

my friends tell me they can hear me on the other side of the city(they might be exaggerating) i bought an enclosed setup for 300 that recently dropped to 250 but now i dont see it on crutchfield any more, now they have http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...7DB1222&tp=112 which is very similar but more expensive and better i assume. thanks to the back window my 4runner doesnt vibrate like all the other cars on the road. i power them with a refurbished kenwood 1800 watt amp that i got for 150 instead of 300 new and it is holding up very nicely.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
very nice job ym13 -I have the 6500s in front myself and they sound excellent compared to stock

I am not offended by anyone's comments, I am getting a Basslink in day or so from ebay, and I never think it will be as outstanding as a separate amp and woofer setup, that is just not the route I want to go. To each his own....
Old 02-11-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question on the tambourine doors?

What do you think the source of the rattle is? Is it the black plastic thing or the body panels?

Do you think it could be minimized with dyna-mat?

http://dynamat.com/products_car_audio_door_kit.html

Did the interior piece rattle at all when you reinstalled it?

My DB6500's are on the way and by DB525's are in house, I only want to hassle with the install once, so I'm looking for all the help I can get.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2008, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by YM13
Man that worries me...I was hoping for a quick plug-and-play or else I probably would have gotten different speakers. My whole thing was to keep it as high-quality as possible without having to do any or little custom work. The guy at crutchfield told me the MOMO series wouldn't fit (they are high quality) and I was planning to get those but he said the db6501s would fit...hopefully I won't too much trouble with it.
The guys at crutchfield are very knowledgeable...unfortunately they dont know everything...and heres why i say this. I work at circuit city and I bought momo components and polk db 651 coaxials. my 00 4runner comes with a 6.5 inch component in the front and 4" speakers in the rear. i replaced the front with momo components, which are very large speakers but they come with perfect spacers for 4runners. and i replaced my stock 4" speakers with the polk db651coaxials. soon to have the momo coaxial 6.5" speakers in the back when i get my tax check back as well as a kicker 650.4 amp for the momos. and ps i installed it all my self and it was not hard at all...i promise u that u can do it
Old 02-18-2008, 01:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by skjos
What do you think the source of the rattle is? Is it the black plastic thing or the body panels?
YM13,
Looking at that picture, it appears you re-threaded the factory adapter for the Polk adapter/ring which left an open gap around the speaker. That offset mount could be contributing to the vibration and/or degrading SQ.

skjos,
It would be a good time to add any kind of sound deading material while you have the door panels off.

I have the same speakers (db6500) being installed but I made custom adapters that keep a flush and sealed fit.

Here is the tweeter behind the stock tweeter grill:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...r/IMG_0606.jpg
Were you able to mount it to the factory tweeter bracket? or is it resting in the grill?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by skjos
Question on the tambourine doors?

Do you think it could be minimized with dyna-mat?

http://dynamat.com/products_car_audio_door_kit.html

Did the interior piece rattle at all when you reinstalled it?

My DB6500's are on the way and by DB525's are in house, I only want to hassle with the install once, so I'm looking for all the help I can get.

Thanks
sorry i've been away from the comp. these few days....

I think that everything that can possibly be vibrating is vibrating...the push down locking mechanism is vibrating in its shell, the body panels def vibrate but differently for the different vibrations...basically i lowered the bass a little and most have disappeared. I have a sub so its not a problem but if you don't then i would be mad because it would vibrate the whole time.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by rocket
YM13,
Looking at that picture, it appears you re-threaded the factory adapter for the Polk adapter/ring which left an open gap around the speaker. That offset mount could be contributing to the vibration and/or degrading SQ.

skjos,
It would be a good time to add any kind of sound deading material while you have the door panels off.

I have the same speakers (db6500) being installed but I made custom adapters that keep a flush and sealed fit.

Were you able to mount it to the factory tweeter bracket? or is it resting in the grill?
The tweeters i kind of resting behind the grill with a dab of glue on the mount to keep it up...

As for the mid drivers I could not get around not having that hole there and i wanted them mounted that weekend...i'll probably work on fixing that in the near future. Do you think SQ is being affected and that could really be a big reason for the vibration? It just didn't seam like that big of a deal at the time...
Old 02-18-2008, 07:28 AM

Also, a note about the subwoofer...I have looked into the JL audio 12w6v2 and I really like it. On ebay its around $300. My question is can i get a comparable sub in SQ and SPL for cheaper?

Last edited by YM13; 02-18-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

Also, a note about the subwoofer...I have looked into the JL audio 12w6v2 and I really like it. On ebay its around $300. My question is can i get a comparable sub in SQ and SPL for cheaper?
Most certantly yes.

12" Adire Brahmas. They are built as a SQL sub and are about as good as they come. Though Plus they are cheaper price at only ~$260 each shipped (i know a guy that has some new ones if anyone is interested. in that deal above)

If that is a little to high then the next best would be ID IDQ 12.v3 subs. These are the some of the best SQ subs made today. I was going to get these until i found the Brahmas.

Both of those will blow the JL away in SQ and the first will also blow the JL in SQL.

JL is an ok brand but way overpriced for what you get. the 12W6v2 is just an ok sub, the 12w7 is a much better sub but costs a LOT more. just not worth the $$$ at all.

The Brahmas also dont need as big of a box, can get just as loud on lower power (much more options with amps and wiring). And will sound better. And lets not forget that they are CHEAPER.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:59 PM

I'm thinking about doing some custom kick-panel enclosures as well because the vibration is driving me nuts when I want to turn the music way up....especially with techno....i'm having a really hard time finding any how-to articles or anything any links or help would be great... thanks

Last edited by YM13; 02-18-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

I'm thinking about doing some custom kick-panel enclosures as well because the vibration is driving me nuts when I want to turn the music way up....especially with techno....i'm having a really hard time finding any how-to articles or anything any links or help would be great... thanks
You asked for some reading and reading you will get: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...hlight=4runner

Very long thread but worth the read. The best install i have seen for our trucks.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:12 AM

wow your a life saver thats the article i was specifically looking for but couldn't find it..
Old 02-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

wow your a life saver thats the article i was specifically looking for but couldn't find it..
NP, i happen to be a member over there as well and knew about that thread.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:22 PM

Cool, then maybe you can help me with some questions...I've been reading straight for hours about it but I see detailed pictures and installs but i'm completely new to custom work like this and I was wondering if you could answer some of these questions...or point me in the right direction.

How do you make a nice wood baffle like that with the edges rounded and a smaller space inside where the speaker fits in.

Also I'm not catching what I need to buy...I need absolute basics of fiberglassing such as what do you mix in with it, where to buy, what to add for support, what to add on top before sanding...I've been reading about it but I see people putting and using different things without explaining what its used for...

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Cool, then maybe you can help me with some questions...I've been reading straight for hours about it but I see detailed pictures and installs but i'm completely new to custom work like this and I was wondering if you could answer some of these questions...or point me in the right direction.

How do you make a nice wood baffle like that with the edges rounded and a smaller space inside where the speaker fits in.

Also I'm not catching what I need to buy...I need absolute basics of fiberglassing such as what do you mix in with it, where to buy, what to add for support, what to add on top before sanding...I've been reading about it but I see people putting and using different things without explaining what its used for...

Thanks in advance...
There are tons of ways to make baffels. The ones in that thread are simple MDF board cut out with a jigsaw. Then a router was used to round the ourside and makethat grove on the inside. Basic router skills are all you need for that.

As for the fiberglassing, this is one thing that i have only marginal experiance with myself. Never had a reason to really mess with it.

As a whole you can get the stuff you need to do it at Home Depot. usually in the paint section. They will have all sorts of stuff there and you might be able to find someone that knows about it and can help you out.

Try searching google for more info on fiberglassing. It is far to long for me to try to explain here. The basics are to mix the resin right, otherwise it will overheat. There are tons of differnt ways to do fiberglass and tons of differnt homemade ways to do such and such for cheaper.

Pam works good as a mod release if you are going to do any of this. Chese cloth works good for making matting. though there are also "real" proudcts out there that do the same thing.

Try searching, you should be able ot figure most of it out that way.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:48 PM

I plan on adding spectrum sludge from second skin for vibration...i don't think you can do much better than this for sound deadening!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Egl5STW720[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound...hp?category=50
Old 02-19-2008, 03:49 PM

Cool, thank you again for the help...I'm buyin some kick-panels from another member so that I don't screw mine up and I'll see what i come up with...
Old 02-19-2008, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mason Dixon
I plan on adding spectrum sludge from second skin for vibration...i don't think you can do much better than this for sound deadening!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Egl5STW720[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound...hp?category=50
Yah that stuff looks awsome i was thinking about doing some sort of sound deadening but the problem with my setup is that buttons, locks, and small screws are vibrating that cannot be stoped and so is the paneling. It would be way to much trouple and money to do that. Instead i'm just going to do the kick panels and I'll probably add that stuff you just showed to the insides of them.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:03 PM

Ok, I ended up buying two Alpine Type-Rs... This is my first real subwoofer setup so I wanted as much bang for the buck as I could get and these worked out the best for me. I got a pretty nice amp hoping that i'll be able to upgrade my subs later on (its the old MRP-M1005). The subs don't sound like doo-doo but I wouldn't call them SQ either. I think the box is a little too small for them so I might invert them later. For a first system I think its straight...I was kinda tired of the whole SQ thing and I just wanted something different for right now but I'm sure I'll get tired of them pretty soon and go for something else. Just wanted to share.....

Basically thats it...thanks for lookin
Old 03-21-2008, 09:09 PM

Oh and remounted the speakers on the doors so they are not vibrating anymore...and if you caught my other posts about the Polks being too harsh...they are perfect now that I broke in the mid drivers.....I just rushed it a little. I think for the price I could not be happier right now...

Thanks TexasAce for helping me so much on everything....

Quick Reply: My New Audio System Polk Audio db6501 Components and maybe new sub (ongoing project)