Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My New Audio System Polk Audio db6501 Components and maybe new sub (ongoing project)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YM13
Hahah, yah i don't think i'd make you do that but they said that it should fit with a bracket that comes in the box....damn them if it doesn't i will be so mad...
Don't count on it, i have some cheap speakers in mine right now and they are a lot smaller then those. It took some work to get those in, with your i can only imaigne what it will take. Lucky for me i didn't have to worry about depth only the holes lining up, that was a semi easy fix.

If i had to worry about depth (which i will for my new ones) it will take some more work.

Though there are pre-made spacers out there that should make it easier if you need them.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:07 PM

Man that worries me...I was hoping for a quick plug-and-play or else I probably would have gotten different speakers. My whole thing was to keep it as high-quality as possible without having to do any or little custom work. The guy at crutchfield told me the MOMO series wouldn't fit (they are high quality) and I was planning to get those but he said the db6501s would fit...hopefully I won't too much trouble with it.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Man that worries me...I was hoping for a quick plug-and-play or else I probably would have gotten different speakers. My whole thing was to keep it as high-quality as possible without having to do any or little custom work. The guy at crutchfield told me the MOMO series wouldn't fit (they are high quality) and I was planning to get those but he said the db6501s would fit...hopefully I won't too much trouble with it.
The cheap speakers i used are about as close to stock size as you can get and they are not that great, nice but not good.

Anything of any kind of quality is going to have a real hard time fitting and need some kind of custom work if you want it done right.

For my next Comps i will be getting some orion HCCA comps with Carbon fiber cones for the real and possibly the same for the fronts, if not then an aluminim cone version.

They will be run with an A/D/S/ P805.2 amp bridged to 4 channels @ 150w each (and this is a way underrated 150w).

It will take some custom work but i am sure the results will be worth it.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread is awesome and may help out a bit:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f96/...nstall-116312/
Old 02-06-2008, 10:28 AM

thank you....
Old 02-06-2008, 07:25 PM

Amplifier came in today and I installed it already (without the speakers so that its ready) I put it under the drivers seat as the passenger seat has not room plus it has a heater unit there anyways. I'll post some pictures tommorow of how it looks since it is dark right now.

Speakers come in tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be a wrestling match with them... soo excited!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just an idea....you might try just amping your stock speakers...i had mine hooked up w/ the amp im using to run my xenons, and they got loud, and sounded pretty good imo. just make sure you cut them off and dont use any bass boosting stuff...if your deck has lots of adjustability (my excelon did), things can work pretty good...
Old 02-07-2008, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hiloracerboy84
just an idea....you might try just amping your stock speakers...i had mine hooked up w/ the amp im using to run my xenons, and they got loud, and sounded pretty good imo. just make sure you cut them off and dont use any bass boosting stuff...if your deck has lots of adjustability (my excelon did), things can work pretty good...
Seeing as he already has the speakers it really makes no sense to not use them. The stocks are not the worst ever but the cheap replacements i got are 5X better then stock and they are junk in the big picture.

Besides, the install is really not that hard. Take a few hours but the actual skill level is not much. just takes time to get them in there right. And possibily a spacer, which he can pick up at any good audio store.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:39 PM

i was just throwing that out there as an option, as he stated that he didnt like the idea of having to mod. he ordered from crutchfield, so they accept returns for 30 days, and if he was ok with the sound of the stocks, he could save the money on the polks, plus time of cutting out a baffle, and all that fuss. indeed, it isnt hard at all, just time consuming. let us know how it turns out
Old 02-09-2008, 09:52 PM

Ok, so I finally got everything installed. I'll be honest, it took a LOOONG time to do. Total, it probably took me about 9 hours to do everything but I split it up in hooking the amp up one day (2 hours) doing the left door speaker the next (4 hours because I had never taken the door apart and i had to custom fab a bracket) and then the right door which only took like and hour and a half since i knew what i was doing already.

The sound quality is nice...I wouldn't say its a life or death improvement over stock but it sure does sound a lot nicer. The speakers are much louder and less harsh than the stock tweeters that just prevented me from turning it up loud, and i havn't been able to distort them yet (unless you turn the bass up all the way which is stupid anyways). The speakers are too power for the doors however if you do not plan on using a sub and want these to hit the lows hard. My doors began to sound like tambourines ( i have a video). I'm sure as they get broken in, they will sound nicer and nicer. I'm pretty happy with my install costing me around $250...for everything including shipping of the amp and speakers. So enough talking here are some pictures.

Here is what they everything looks like straight out of the box:

Here is the amplifier under the seat...

Stock speaker in the door...

New one mounted:

Here is the tweeter behind the stock tweeter grill:

Crossover under the passenger seat:

As you can see everything looks basically completely stock:

(and yes i just forgot to put the hand back on the door)

and i'll get that video up soon....

Old 02-09-2008, 10:14 PM

Here is a video of my doors becoming tambourines...you can't really hear much of the vibration except for the really bad ones cause the music is loud, but they are there... also, this was with the bass up and I now have everything tuned perfect so that nothing vibrates but it still sounds sick...

and yes the sub is off...all of that bass is just from those door speakers...I wasn't expecting that much you can actually feel a little hit your chest...

Last edited by YM13; 02-09-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

Glad to see you got them in fine! They look good!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:07 AM

Thanks...now I'm trying to figure out what subwoofer I should purchase...I'm looking for a nice SQ sub but also one that can be turned up pretty loud when I want it to be. Does anyone thing the Alpine type-r is decent because they are like $100 dollars off of ebay? I mean I don't want to spend more than $200 on just the sub alone. So the one I had listed above (polk audio reference series) it retails for $350 but its $200 on ebay...
Old 02-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks...now I'm trying to figure out what subwoofer I should purchase...I'm looking for a nice SQ sub but also one that can be turned up pretty loud when I want it to be. Does anyone thing the Alpine type-r is decent because they are like $100 dollars off of ebay? I mean I don't want to spend more than $200 on just the sub alone. So the one I had listed above (polk audio reference series) it retails for $350 but its $200 on ebay...
Forget the alpine IMO. They are just ok subs and not SQ subs.

Personally i am getting 2 12" Adire Brahmas. They are built as a SQL sub and are about as good as they come. Though it is just a tad over your price at $260 each and they are not made anymore so they are a little hard to come by but i know a guy that has some new ones if anyone is interested.

If that is a little to high then the next best would be ID IDQ 12.v3 subs. These are the some of the best SQ subs made today. I was going to get these until i found the Brahmas.

Either one of those will make you very happy. Plus both of those don't need a ton of power to work well. So that gives you a lot of options for amps.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Forget the alpine IMO. They are just ok subs and not SQ subs.

Personally i am getting 2 12" Adire Brahmas. They are built as a SQL sub and are about as good as they come. Though it is just a tad over your price at $260 each and they are not made anymore so they are a little hard to come by but i know a guy that has some new ones if anyone is interested.

If that is a little to high then the next best would be ID IDQ 12.v3 subs. These are the some of the best SQ subs made today. I was going to get these until i found the Brahmas.

Either one of those will make you very happy. Plus both of those don't need a ton of power to work well. So that gives you a lot of options for amps.
Cool thanx for the advice...anyone else have any?
Old 02-10-2008, 01:40 PM

i was happy with my rockford fosgate sub i used to use, although they arnt super high quality SQ, i think they are better SQ than alpine, buti havnt heard them side by side to compare.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by notanymore
i was happy with my rockford fosgate sub i used to use, although they arnt super high quality SQ, i think they are better SQ than alpine, buti havnt heard them side by side to compare.
The old rockford and old Alpine subs, yes the RF was better is just about every way.

With the new RF that is lower quality and the new alpine which is better they are about even. Just depends on the install and what kind of sound you like.

Both of them are low end subs in the big picture.

Easy way to tell cheap brands of speakers/subs. If it is sold at best buy then it is cheap. Also goes for amps.

And before someone goes off i can back it up, best buy (at least any around here) doesn't sell a single good brand for speakers, subs or Amps. Now for other stuff and even if you are on a tight budget then they are good enough but not good.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:07 PM

Well I like how the Basslink sounds and best buy sold it but if they only sold high quality then it wouldn't make sense business wise. Most people buy cheaper subs so they have to fit that profile (in the end they are there to make money) but I think they have higher end subs just not the type you would consider (or most audiophiles) to be very good.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

Well I like how the Basslink sounds and best buy sold it but if they only sold high quality then it wouldn't make sense business wise. Most people buy cheaper subs so they have to fit that profile (in the end they are there to make money) but I think they have higher end subs just not the type you would consider (or most audiophiles) to be very good.
Oh, lets not get into this again, there have been many a thread on this subject. lol

In the end best buy doesn't carry any good brands. There supposedly "top-of-the-line" model is rockford. Just go in to a best buy and ask for the best they got, they will tell rockford. 10 years ago that was a desent brand. But now days they are just 1 step up from sony.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:36 PM

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by FavreRunner; 03-24-2008 at 01:34 PM.

Quick Reply: My New Audio System Polk Audio db6501 Components and maybe new sub (ongoing project)