Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My lift has begun!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My lift has begun!! Check back to see progress with pics!

I just ordered a 1" body lift kit and 1" diff drop kit from Roger Brown at www.4crawler.com.

I've also ordered the Mastercraft 4-layer 18" limiting straps: http://www.mastercraftseats.com/products.html

I've also already recieved the Panhard Drop Bracket from Steve Schaefer, which can be found at: http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/store.html#Panhard

My tires will be here in 2-3 weeks, so I've got get everything together. I know I'm going with the OMEN86 Firm shocks in the rear, but I'm not clear on springs for front and rear yet. I would order them, but I want to wait until I get everything together so I can save some money on shipping from Mike at: http://www.xtremeoff-road.com/home.htm

I'm also planning a purchase of Roger Brown's Rock Sliders, because after reading all the threads and the rock slider roundup on Yotatech, he's the only one I found that uses 3/16" tubing, along with what I feel is a superior design. They can be found at: http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4...kSliderZ.shtml

I'm also planning on taking the plastic front valence off the front bumper, and replacing it with a custom small tube bumper that will just protect the bottom of the radiator and tranny cooler, while providing a great place to lights. It will be very small, so I don't reduce the approach angle any, and will connect to the end of the lower frame rails that normally butt into the backside of the plastic valence.

In addition, I'm planning a custom, low profile, minimal weight, 100% functional only (disregarding looks), protective, departure angle anhancing rear bumper with a possible tire mount for the spare tire mounted in the center, not to the side to maintain proper weight distribution from side to side.

I'm hoping this thread helps some folks on their quest for a better performing 4runner while off-roading. All my updates with pictures will be posted here with as much details as possible.

Chris

Last edited by ravencr; 08-19-2003 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man you are goin' hardcore here aren't ya!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 07:19 AM

The only thing I'm pissed that I don't think I can afford right now is the SAWS upfront. I would love to have them, but I'm worried about going bankrupt! Just kidding! But they sure are a lot more money. Instead of the lift being around $750 using OME/Downey stuff, it would be closer to $1150. We'll see! I like to do everything at once and do it right, but my money is getting tighter and tighter, which is all Yotatech's fault by the way!!

Chris
Old 08-08-2003, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Chris,

Just a couple of points:

1) As far as the bumpers that you mentioned- have you found people to manufacture them, or are you planning on getting them made custom (=$$$)? For the front, you've got ARB, TJM that make full bull bars, Badland Bumpers makes a prerunner bumper for the front as well. In the back, I don't know of any commercially available bumpers that can be bought for a 3rd gen 4runner. There are a couple of custom built ones riding around (again, custom = $$$).

2) When considering the cost of SAWS, remember that if you put any type of extra weight on the front (ie. heavier bumper, winch, supercharger, whatever), you're going to have to replace your front shocks faster. Even as it stands, with OME shocks and coils in the front, you'll still need to add 1" spacers or trim packers to get a full 3 inches of lift in the front, and thats before any sagging occurs. If you figure in the cost of buying new shocks in a couple of years, the SAWS don't look all that expensive, and the SAWS are completely rebuildable, so you'll never need to buy another set in the front. My attitude is, buy what you want the first time around, even if you have to wait a little. You'll regret not getting the SAWS...
Old 08-08-2003, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the info man! I'm really wanting the SAWS, and I'll check into the prices of the TJM and ARB bumpers. Thanks man!

Chris
Old 08-09-2003, 08:18 PM

Well, after many questions and discussions with Gadget, MTL_runner, Steve Schaefer, and many others, here's what I've decided to run, and will be buying tomorrow through Mike at Xtreme Off-Road:

1) OME890 Rear Medium Springs
2) OMEN86 Firm Rear Shocks
3) SAWS up front
4) ??Revtek 1/4" Top mounted outside the spring pack spacer, but I'm going to wait on this to make sure it works good together, which is hopefully going to tested by Steve first.
5) Lars Discos
6) Mastercraft 4-layer 18" limiting straps
7) Roger Brown 1" Body Lift
8) Roger Brown Diff Drop Spacer
9) Panhard Drop Bracket

Here's where I'm ordering everything from:

www.xtremeoff-road.com
www.4crawler.com
www.larsdennert.com/4runner
http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/store.html#Panhard
www.mastercraftseats.com/products.html

The money factor is killing me, especially since I've decided thanks to the two best SAWS sales reps in the country: Steve and Gadget to get the SAWS instead of the OME setup.

I'm really looking forward to getting this all on, and go for the first off-road trip better equipped.

I really have to thanks for everyone's help in helping me decide what the best setup will be in my situation. I've done a lot of reading and question asking of a bunch of people, and the degree to which everyone has helped me is tremendous, and doesn't go without notice. I hope to be able to help each of you in the future on something I may know, which is very little at this point.

Chris
Old 08-09-2003, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Question Chris-

Why the 1 inch body lift?
Old 08-10-2003, 06:02 AM

I went with the 1" body lift just to make sure I don't rub, and this is the only thing I'm doing for looks purposes too, somewhat. I don't like a truck that looks like it doesn't have quite enough room for the tires. I like a truck that looks like it can easily clear the tires, but not to the extent like let's a Dodge 2500 does. I've just heard varying opinions of people rubbing and not rubing with just the suspension lift, so I figured why not go ahead and do it too, so I don't have to worry about it.

Chris
Old 08-14-2003, 06:39 PM

After working long hours reading and deciding on the best suspension setup for my application, the next day we had a family emergency that ruined my plans. Oh well! But, due to having my 285 Revo's already on order, I still had to decide what cheaper route I could go with temporarily to handle the larger tires.

So, primarily per Steve Schaefer's recommendation, I've chosen to go with the following suspension lift:

1) Cornfed 1.5" Front Spacers
2) Revtek 1/4" Top Extender Drop Plate
3) Cornfed 2.5" Rear Spacers - David is making them so they will work with and without the rubber conical bumpstop just in case I ever add a heavier rear bumper and still running these spacers.
4) Panhard Drop Bracket
5) E-Brake Kit - I still don't know where to get these on it's own??
6) Roger Brown 1" Body Lift
7) Lars Discos
8) Roger Brown Diff Drop Kit

This will yield about 3" up front with 3.5-4" in the rear including the body lift.

I can't wait to get it all in, and get it installed. I got a call from Sears saying the tires arrive today, so all I'm waiting on now is the lift stuff.

Chris
Old 08-15-2003, 12:09 AM

what was the final price on the 1st setup ? and the 2nd setup ?
Old 08-15-2003, 03:53 AM

Here's the second setup:

1) Front 1.5" Preload spacers $135.00
2) Rear 2.5" Spacers $140.00
- minus $30 discount $245.00
3) Revtek 1/4" Spacer $ 36.00
4) RB Diff Drop Spacer $ 25.00
5) Panhard Drop Bracket $ 75.00
6) Lars Discos $ 80.00
7) RB 1" Body Lift $108.00
8) Mastercraft 4-layer 18" LS $ 77.00 ( Don't reall need these until I get longer shocks, but I had already ordered them.

Total: $646.00 w/o shipping

Chris

I'll post the original plan soon!

Last edited by ravencr; 08-15-2003 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:54 AM

hmm cool 650 aint to bad . Im thinking of purchasing a 2nd gen runner and just want to get a fill for what a good lift will cost for a ifs vehical . thanx
Old 08-15-2003, 09:58 AM

Here's the original plan I wish I could have done:

1) Revtek 1/4" Drop Spacer $36.00
2) RB Diff Drop Spacer $25.00
3) Panhard Drop Bracket $75.00
4) Lars Discos $80.00
5) RB 1" Body Lift $108.00
6) Mastercraft 18" Limiting Straps $77.00
7) Downey Rear Coils $169.95
8) OMEN86 Rear Firm Shocks $131.08
9) SAWS $675.00

Total $1377.03

The difference between the spacer setup and full setup is: $731.03

Thanks,

Chris
Old 08-15-2003, 10:00 AM

so why do you need limiting straps ? what would happen if you did not use them ?
Old 08-15-2003, 10:03 AM

The downey coils come with 16.5" Rancho limiting straps, which are perfect for the stock shocks. But, when you go to the OME shocks they are 1.5" longer which is why you need the 18" limiting straps. Plus, the reason I went with Mastercraft is that they are a lot stronger than the Rancho ones anyway.

The reason I don't have a need for them yet, is because I'm not running the longer OME shocks.

Chris
Old 08-15-2003, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Limiting straps (correct me if I'm wrong) will do a couple of things.
1) Will prevent the shocks from extending so far that your springs will fall out.

2) In case of shock failure, keeps axle from getting too far out of wack.

With that said, I and a few others have not put limiting straps on their vehicles, but its something on my list that I'll get around to eventually. I haven't extended my brake lines or e-brake bracket yet either, and again, have not had any problems at full flex .
Old 08-15-2003, 11:29 AM

well here I am tring to learn more . what are SAWS ? thanx
Old 08-15-2003, 12:37 PM

Sway-a-way racerunner coil over shocks, which are the best setup at this point for our vehicles on the front end.

Chris
Old 08-15-2003, 12:37 PM

aww thank you .
Old 08-15-2003, 07:09 PM

I don't have a hi-lift jack, and I was wondering what the next best thing would be to help me do the body lift?

Chris

Quick Reply: My lift has begun!!