Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My front brake mini saga

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My front brake mini saga

On friday i had to get new brake pads, i barely passed my state inspection a couple weeks prior, so it was on my mind and since i had the cash i thought i'm going for it. Since i work away from home, and live out of a hotel for 30 days at a time, it was not possible to do it myself this time. No prob, shop in town, all good. Pads on, he shows me the old ones and i see that the drivers side pads are much more worn down than the pass. side. Guy suggests new calipers i ask if it can wait, he says yeah.

Saturday evening left work, i work on a natural gas drilling rig, and right now they are about 7 miles back in a state forest, basically the road leading to the rig is snow and ice covered, 4wd a must!! Anyway i had to panic stop 2 times because i'd loose going head to head with an 18 wheeler. I get to the highway, and i get up to about 50mph and thats when this wobble starts. I'm praying to make it the 10miles to town. Make it to town, stop at the same shop, they look at my brakes and say the drivers side caliper had "locked up", sooooo now i'm forced to get 2 new calipers.

So far the problem seems fixed, no wobble at high speeds. Now i need opinions? Can a caliper "lockup"? Did i get duped? When i have a chance to get under there, what should i look for/at? I've tryed to search this, but its a bit specific.

Thanks guys

Side note: i've felt an unbalanced tire before, this was 100times worse than that.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes a caliper can lock up, and this sounds like a classic case with the pads being worn on one side.

You should be good for now, the only thing I would check when you have a chance is look at both the calipers and make sure both where replaced if you paid for both to be replaced.

Also maybe have your drums in the back looked at to make sure they are both in proper working order, and while your crawling around under your truck maybe look at your CV axle boots and make sure they don't have any tears. Also look for any fluid leaks so on and so forth.

Stay safe