Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My first 4Runner MOD!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may just skip ordering this radio from them.
They have only answered one e-mail, and it seems like they got it from PayPal regarding the hold on the account. They still have not replied to my direct e-mail concerning this issue I had. In the e-mail body, they have no knowledge about my e-mail if you read it. I am ready to order a radio, but I guess they don't want the Bidnezz. I guess they don't need a sale.
There is no number to contact them on the website either.
Here is the e-mail that they sent at 11:30 est on Sunday and I replied soon after. I held up to "Let me know soon" so why are they not getting back to me now? I wonder what the excuses will be.

Hello.

You, or PayPal, has placed a temporary hold on these funds ($1,575). Are you not interested in ordering this unit anymore, or is this an issue with PayPal? Please let me know soon.

Troy Krzyston
Sales & Support
OEMValue.com

EDIT:
You guys think I should hold out for one more day, or jump on eBay or somewhere and look around. It may be the Eclipse I order though. I only want the OEM cause it says Toyota and has that cool maintenance scheduler

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 03-14-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

UPDATE. I bought it.

I just got off the phone with both PayPal and OEMValue. PayPal was a waste of my time and money by not having an 800 number for customer service and keeping me on hold for a total of 43 minutes with 19 minutes of actual talking.
They were of no help at all. They just gave me an e-mail address to contact and they will investigate the situation. It will take at least 5 business days to complete.
I then called and spoke to Troy over at OEMValue and he was a nice guy. He said he can't reply to e-mail rapidly since they are always flooded with e-mail and is a reason why they don't have a phone number listed. He mentioned overseas fraud being another reason. He was very nice over the phone and said that if the funds from the bank account did happen to go through he would promptly refund them. He mentioned that there are a lot of problems with PayPal on their end and that is why he has that link to the e-mail address in case one were to encounter problems using PayPal.
He is shipping the radio out today. So I guess I have me a little project for Saturday.
In the end, I guess I can say I am satisfied, and wish there had been a phone number to call in the first place so I could avoid PayPal. I just hope that they don't send the funds through for some reason now, and I will be happy with this all. After this PayPal issue is clarified, It'll be time to cancel the account. I have heard that that is like pulling teeth from a crocodile.

www.OEMValue.com =
Paypal.com =

(same post from off topic, but I know some don't go there. Oh well, it all worked out so far.)
Old 03-14-2005, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by RBLACAUSA
what about the mapping itself? Can you put in a map disc with topos like the National Geographic discs?
im pretty sure it has to be a navigation DVD and not just topo maps and it may even be specific to only certain types of DVD's for different brands of NAV
Old 03-15-2005, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
4RF,
Please post some pics of the unit when it arrives. I am very curious how the install goes and if you figure out a cleaner approach to the stereo surround gap issue.

I am very close to deciding on this...

Andreas
Old 03-16-2005, 03:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aowRS
4RF,
Please post some pics of the unit when it arrives. I am very curious how the install goes and if you figure out a cleaner approach to the stereo surround gap issue.

Andreas

Will do.

I already have an idea of how I am going to cut the dash, but I need a RotoZip/Dremmel type tool. I may buy, I may rent.
I MAY<--- or may not get to it this weekend depending on how long I can take the cold.

EDIT: aowRS. If you are really going to order it and don't want to use PayPal, I suggest you either start e-mailing them now or PM me when you are ready, for the phone number.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 03-16-2005 at 05:12 AM.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
Will do.

I already have an idea of how I am going to cut the dash, but I need a RotoZip/Dremmel type tool. I may buy, I may rent.
I MAY<--- or may not get to it this weekend depending on how long I can take the cold.

EDIT: aowRS. If you are really going to order it and don't want to use PayPal, I suggest you either start e-mailing them now or PM me when you are ready, for the phone number.
It's going to fit on top the same for everyone as there is NO cutting on the top or bottom.. Just have to enlarge the sides enough to allow the screen to open. You're not fitting the NAV around the opening, you're bolting the NAV in, and fitting the opening around it. Some of these posts make it seem as if there is a gap visible. The cutout is black, the NAV is black, there are no fitment issues.

Last edited by rearviewmirror; 03-16-2005 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by aowRS
4RF,

Andreas
Cleaner? how much cleaner can you cut 3/8 inch gaps on both sides.. good luck bro.. buy the unit and YOU show us how well it can be done.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

It's heeeerrrrrrrrrreeeeee!!!
Old 03-18-2005, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

Old 03-18-2005, 09:02 AM

Cool.. if you start now, you'll be done in about 3 hours. The cutting is the most time consuming part.. and it sux because there is no exact science to it... you gotta go with what fits.

I used 3M taps for the speed and reverse wire. Splicing a wire is scary, the taps worked awesomely. Then to connect them to the small wires on the back of the NAV I used the foolproof insert two wires and press a button connectors.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

He said I need to order some part. What is it?
Can I get it at the local Radio Shack?
I didn't look at the directions yet. :grin:
Old 03-18-2005, 09:28 AM

These for connecting the wires on the back of the NAV. 3M scotchloks. Radio Shack sells an equivalent.

These for connecting the wires on the back of the guages...

Old 03-18-2005, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Can I shoot pics, or what!?!?
Old 03-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

What does the NAV antenna look like? Is it in the little bunch of wires?
Old 03-18-2005, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
What does the NAV antenna look like? Is it in the little bunch of wires?
It's the little black box. Be careful with it. I mounted mine under the dash like the instructions say, and have had no coverage problems with it. Troy recommended against it, but I didn't want to run that wire up around the A pillars.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
It's the little black box. Be careful with it. I mounted mine under the dash like the instructions say, and have had no coverage problems with it. Troy recommended against it, but I didn't want to run that wire up around the A pillars.

Little black box on the metal plate? Damn thats small if it is.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Think I can take the antenna off the plate and mount it on the back of my rear view?
I don't have any instructions to look in.
I don't need them, but someone else who orders may.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:58 PM

One annoying thing about the NAV is it put the power antenna up even if you have it on CD or Changer mode. Which sucks because if you go through low trees or branches there is no way to get the antenna to go down like you could with the stock radio. I'd like to put a power switch so I could raise and lower the antenna manually like my LandCruiser had.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

Tomorrow it will be installed.

A little party here so it's kinda hard right now.

Friends are loving YT.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Cleaner? how much cleaner can you cut 3/8 inch gaps on both sides.. good luck bro.. buy the unit and YOU show us how well it can be done.

Excuse me, but what the hell does this mean? Who are you? Did I in anyway insinuate that I am superior to you? How do you read my question as some sort of a smart-ass question:

You do not know me, apparently. I like doing things cleanly, and correctly. I only asked 4RF to post his thoughts on the actual trimming. I am more than capable of doing this easy mod. And whether you think it or not, all of the posted pics regarding this mod show some sort of an unavoidable gap at the top where the corner radius of the original opening meets the trimmed sides.

Why don't you calm down and stop acting superior to someone you have never met.

Andreas

Quick Reply: My first 4Runner MOD!!!!