Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My 4runner sucks in the snow....

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contrary to everything here, my 4Runner sucks in the snow. With the 285/76 Destination MT's it's scary even in 4WD. With 235/85 Nokian Hakkas it's still loosey goosey in 2WD and my confidence is low in 4x4. I've started other posts on the matter, and have read others who agreed with me. I'm wondering if the lift components(including adjustable trac bar) and lack of rear sway bar has something to do with it, but I'm getting a Subaru for winter if I can't figure something out. I've seriously had the 4Runner on 2 wheels, cause the arse end likes to scoot. I've driven in MN crap roads for 12 years, so I know how to drive. Obviously with the skinny Hakkas I've got good tires. MY 4Runner is just plain bad. My 85 Chevy 1/2 on cheap Cooper AT 32's was 5x better in snow, as is every FWD car I've had. Sorry to rain on the parade....
Old 12-06-2008, 07:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think just about any car/truck sucks on ICE, i just take it really slow and drive defensively to avoid less cautious drivers. 2WD in snow i can break the back pretty easy, but 4WD i've never had any issues with the 4runner not performing well. i just leave it in 4WD until they clear the roads for the most part, then 2WD when things are cleared and drive slower in the winter, that has worked well for me for the past 5 years with the 4runner.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:15 PM

MT
MT tires aren't typically all that good in the snow. Not enough siping.

I'm wondering if the lift components(including adjustable trac bar) and lack of rear sway bar
If you are getting much sway in turns, it's not helping the traction.

I'm doing good this winter on my Firestone Destination AT's. I just added 100 lbs of water softener salt in the back and it's helped a bit more in 2WD. Once I get into 4WD, it's totally fine, regardless of weight in the back.

I'd almost think that 235 is getting too skinny, even for snow tires. At some point, you still want a wide enough contact patch to allow for getting some traction where you can. The benefit of greater weight per unit of contact area may be getting overshadowed by ice or slippery snow. Just a guess. Also, don't overinflate the tires.

MadCityRich
Old 12-06-2008, 08:26 PM

I should add that my tires are generics from Les Schwab. OK at everything and good at nothing. Thankfully with the 4runner and locking axle, one could get away with slicks....

I am going with the new Michelin tires which should do as good or better than the tires on there right now. Of course, no plans right now..maybe next year.

For high speed stability, I have always preferred the Honda accord. The 4runner will always be a top heavy, short wheelbase vehicle. Physics rule at speed and in snow.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:38 PM

I am so glad I kept mine. Between the huge ice storms and getting snowed in, in Colorado a couple of years ago I couldn't ask for more. When we got inches of ice and no one had power we were able to drive around. We got snow in, in LaHunta Colorado and we were about the only vehical that could get out of the parking lot and down to the walmart.

Of course the wifes Focus did better after I realized it had all reason radials on the back and summer sport (who the puts those on a Focus) on the front and swapped em. That thing was almost undrivable in the rain and would get stuck in a light dusting of snow.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:28 PM

tires and weight

I feel inspired to share my opinion and a question. Tires are a huge factor in snow driving. I run some studless snow tires only up front on my prelude in the winter and it makes for some of the craziest and most fun dynamics of any vehicle i have owned. Not that I recomend the setup but it really shows me what the tires have to do with traction. And since this is a joke thread or whatever i dont feel bad about asking, what is the tire you all are having good luck with in the 31 to 33 inch range on a fairly light short wheel base four wheel drive SUV in the snow and ice? i am swayin towards anything craigslist with studs but my deep snow experiance starts and ends with bfg all terrians and a chevy short box and i would like to get through some deeper snow. ................... very inspired huh?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:46 PM

I ran BFG MTs on my old 4runner during last winter, and i drove to my local ski area every weekend without a problem. the 4runner was actually the best thing ive drove in the snow, the backend of my truck goes everywhere without sandbags in the bed. Ive got some studs for this season though
Old 12-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Contributing Member

I had good luck with Yokohama Geolander M/T's 2 winters ago - they really dug into the snow and were fairly soft tires - which I believe helped.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Contributing Member

I run BFG AT's on the truck with no issues in the winter. I also love the looks I get from people that can't believe that I drive the BMW or Volvo in the winter (especially when they find out that they are rear wheel drive!)

My response to them is, "Don't you think that Bavaria (or Sweeden) have ever seen snow?" A full set of Blizzaks on both of them makes ALL the difference.

This thread does bring to mind one of my biggest pet peeves about living in the high country, though. That would be the travesty that the rent-mobile agencies can't be bothered to put real snow tires on the cars and SUVs that they rent in this region. I would think that it would be a liability issue for them, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:17 PM

My 4Runner virtually SINKS in the snow.....where my friends Tacoma just hydroplanes over deep snow :sigh: Hopefully with a lift + tires i'll do a bit better....I like off-roading in the snow....just my current setup limits what I want to do. Come on cooper stt's!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:59 PM

I just leave mine in H4 once snow flies. when it gets deeper, H4L, but thats usually only off road. I love my limiteds on pavement capabilities with the on road AWD
Old 12-08-2008, 09:13 PM

It snowed again tonight. It is that small snow that turns to ice. Very nasty stuff. The really neat thing about 3 wheel drive (4HI with locker) is that there is narry a hill that can't be traversed while other wait at the bottom.

In all seriousness, hi traction tires are a serious gain. Neutral tires will make a neutral feeling 4runner. The snow this year appears to be a bit more than last...which makes for some fun driving.

I pity the folk who will have a crappy day in the morning.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:15 PM

i must agree with the minority here and say that the 4runner SUCKS in snow....i lived in Canada all my life so i know what winter is. I agree that tires do make a HUGE difference, but the tires that are on right now are michilin cross terrains that aren't are about 50% tread left....i've driven many other vehicles with worse tires and they outperformed my 4runner.

I would've bought new winter tires or BFG A/Ts but i decided to buy myself a skidoo instead
Old 12-08-2008, 09:21 PM

I think PSI has a lot to do with success. I would wager that with crappy tires (like mine) would do well with low PSI in low traction environments. The problem is, low PSI is going to generate heat at high speed. Airing up and down is a real pain in a city environment.

The best thing to do is drive slow and be easy on the throttle with a heavy, top-heavy vehicle with piss-poor tires.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

I'm on the Canadian border, so I also know what winter is! My runner is awesome in snow/ice. I have had my michelin LTX radials going on three years now, and am confident to go most anywhere. If its really slick outside, 2wd sucks bigtime. Like a iceskate on crack. But thats when i go to 4wd hi and don't go over 55 mph!
Old 12-09-2008, 06:37 AM

I once departed from rampart range in 4hi and forgot to turn it off for the 25 mile drive home. I didn't really notice until making a really tight turn on dry ground. Then I saw the little green light on the dash. Woops.

My front tires had more noticeable wear than usual.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by derK
i must agree with the minority here and say that the 4runner SUCKS in snow....i lived in Canada all my life so i know what winter is. I agree that tires do make a HUGE difference, but the tires that are on right now are michilin cross terrains that aren't are about 50% tread left....i've driven many other vehicles with worse tires and they outperformed my 4runner.

I would've bought new winter tires or BFG A/Ts but i decided to buy myself a skidoo instead
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ss+Terrain+SUV

The cross terrains are NOT designed for anything more than 'light snow' And with 50% tread, are even worse.

For everyone else, until you buy either a 'winter rated' tire or a snow tire, you havent owned the proper tires and of course will have a poopy opinion of any vehicle you drive in the snow/ice.

Last edited by seaofnames; 12-09-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by derK

I'm just at a loss of words here.......
Old 12-09-2008, 03:06 PM
NHS

Little update for me. My 45k Firestones Destination AT's have held up pretty good today. We got a good dusting witch stuck too the roads today. I was in 2wd and had no problems. Just need a good 4-6 too see what happens. Again my tires have about 5/32's left on them with 45k.

I love my Runner in the snow. I like geting the azz end sideways!!! LOL
Old 12-09-2008, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by cackalak han
I'm just at a loss of words here.......
I was kind of thinking the same thing...I'm just glad I dont drive on the same roads as him.

Quick Reply: My 4runner sucks in the snow....