Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

my 4 runner got wrecked

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 4 runner got wrecked

I went on vacation last week and headed down to indiana. A friend of mine said he was going to borrow my 4 runner for a little bit while I was gone. I was aprehensive at first about letting him borrow it but had borrowed it in the past and things were ok so I said fine just be careful with it.
I get a voicemail from him on my cell a few days later "Uh dude I am sorry I was trying to climb a steep grade (offroad) with your 4 runner and it slipped down and I clipped a 38" diameter large tree it dragged down the whole side of it and it broke all the windows in it on the drivers side. " I was in shock at that point I thought he was joking but he wasn't.
I litterlly lost sleep wondering what damage he did to it.
I just got back this morning early and checked it out this afternoon.
The damage so far: 2 doors a tail light assy, rear cargo window and the rear panel is crinkled all down the back half of it. Also my TJM bumper is quite bent he thinks it can be straightened out.
My friend is attempting to make good on fixing it. He went down to Concord, NH to get some doors for it and he got a cargo window and a tail light.
So far he is attempting to do the work himself there are still large dents in it and I think it may have bent the pillar between the two doors.

As far as I know he only has liability insurance and he doesn't think his insurance covers the damages that's why he is trying to pay out of pocket to repair my vehicle.

It sucks.
The doors are two different colors back door won't close right and we can't seem to align it still has a crap load of dents to fix.
He wants to paint the doors and damaged parts flat grey until he can save up enough to give me a paint job on it. He thinks he shouldn't have to repair all of it since it already had a dent in the rear quarter panel but it is alot worse than just that now.

What the hell should I do?
I dont want to be a total ass about it but I am out a vehicle and feel I am getting screwed here.
I don't have full coverage on my vehicle. I don't think my insurance will cover it they will probably tell me tough luck guy.

Last edited by 934rnr; 07-21-2004 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you are in a tough spot and yes accidents happen but it is his responsebility as an adult to return it the same way he got it ... this happens to all of us at some point in time in life . ... good luck
Old 07-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Banned

Open that can of wupp ass on him... I got friends I would let borrow my rigs, but they ussually decline knowing how I feel about "my rigs". And no way would anyone but me trail my junk. Yeah, it sucks but hey at least he's making an attempt. If it doesn't work out and become like it was... borrow his car
Old 07-21-2004, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

did you tell him that he could wheel it?
Old 07-21-2004, 10:06 PM

man that makes me sick just reading what happened, that really sucks.. I hope you guys can get it all back together and fixed up nice. good luck man, and don't let get outa making it anything but better then it was before
Old 07-21-2004, 10:53 PM
Contributing Member

Remember, he is your friend. Work it out with him, I'm sure he feels like crap about it. I certainly would. A truck isn't something to lose a friendship over....at least to me...well kinda.
As long as it gets back to the way it was, I say no biggie. Maybe you two could split the difference on the rear panel to get it perfect?
Either way...this is exactly why nobody wheels my stuff. Nobody.

Best of luck!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 11:03 PM

Be cool with him no matter how pissed you might get over it. Just be clear on what kind of payments he will be making and be even more clear you want your rig repaired. I dont know your friends character so I wont assume he could be rude about it. So I guess just being cool with him about it is all you can do. Dont pay for it, you didnt do it.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:02 AM
Contributing Member

That sucks man! I am sorry to hear about it. Atleast he is making the effort to repair it.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Really sorry to hear that. A couple of things come to mind though.
Why was he taking your 4Runner off road - did he think he could get away with it, or did you give him permission?

Is he experienced in bodywork? If not, you may end up with one hell of a cobbled together repair job. Do you really want just someone to do sheetmetal repair on your vehicle?

Does he work, or have parents that could front him the money to reimburse you for your loss?

Did he have a tape measure with him on the trail in order to get that fairly precise measurement of the tree's diameter?

I would take the truck to a well-known professional bodyshop - Now. And get a written estimate of the damages he caused. Friends or not, if things start to get to warm, your 'friend' may just show a different side to himself and become your worst nightmare. Then you are stuck with a half-assed repair job and nothing in writing. Friendships are worth alot - but don't put it past this guy to simply vanish if he's faced with too much responsibility.
If the situation ever matures to the point that you need to take him to court, you had better be prepared. And without some form of documentation showing the extent of the damages - you will lose.

Andreas
Old 07-22-2004, 04:27 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I am sorry to hear of your delima.

I have a policy, and I have never strayed from it.
I have never loaned a vehicle to someone or let anyone drive it.

The only time my rig was driven by someone else was my youngest son when he was around 15, and I was in the passenger seat when we were on a logging road.

I hope you get this resolved with him.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:10 AM

I didn't know he was going to take it wheeling. He said he would change my front diff oil and fix a couple things for it while I was gone. That's part of the reason I let him borrow it. He did say I could borrow his car until he got my rig fixed though so I guess I won't be out transportation for work.
I will get some pics of the carnage so far on it.

Last edited by 934rnr; 07-22-2004 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:18 AM
lee
Contributing Member

wow. took it offroad without permission. thats not much of a friend.

i let my roommate drive my car when i was in the passenger seat once. ill do that for a few friends, let them drive when im in the car. but i wont let someone borrow it and go off on their own.

i got my runner in october, and in i think december a friend of mine came into town, and he was looking for jobs in boston. so he asked if he could borrow my car to get to an interview that was like 50 miles away or something. i said, look its not about trust or anything, its about the fact that i pay a lot for this truck, i JUST got it, and IF something happened i would be VERY VERY pissed.

he wasnt happy with that or anything, but thats how it had to be.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member

That is exactly why I never let anyone drive my truck, not even with me in it. If it's gonna get tore up, I wanna be the one doing it. Sorry about the truck man, hope ya'll can work something out and get it fixed right.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:54 AM

Geez. Same thing happened to me. Check Out http://4runner.d2g.com

Maybe its time to "CHOP IT"

Except I never got a DIME Outta my Ex's Brother, Nor did he even try and help with any of the repairs. So at least your buddy is making good as best he can.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:15 AM

Since your friend is making an attempt to make things right, I would try to keep things cool between you two. I feel even though you didn't crash the rig yourself, you are partly to blame, because you lent him the truck and accidents do happen, no matter where you are. I think you should take it to a body shop, get an estimate and he should pay 70% and you pay 30% because you lent him the truck. That'll be a lesson to you in a way, and also your truck will be in better condition than before. I never lend anyone my truck that can't afford to pay for any damage that might happen, or buy me a new one. That leaves few people on my list that can borrow my truck.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry dude, I learned a lesson once too about loaning cars to friends and even family. No one will take as good a care of your truck as you, so I don't loan anymore. Maybe your insurance co. will cover the damage?
Old 07-22-2004, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
Geez. Same thing happened to me. Check Out http://4runner.d2g.com

Maybe its time to "CHOP IT"

Except I never got a DIME Outta my Ex's Brother, Nor did he even try and help with any of the repairs. So at least your buddy is making good as best he can.
I haven't heard from the insurance company yet but I think I may chop it like that I thought about doing that a couple months ago.
My question is what do you do in the winter time? Do you have a bikini top or toneau for it or does it stay in the garage in the winter?

Last edited by 934rnr; 07-22-2004 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by havic
Since your friend is making an attempt to make things right, I would try to keep things cool between you two. I feel even though you didn't crash the rig yourself, you are partly to blame, because you lent him the truck and accidents do happen, no matter where you are. I think you should take it to a body shop, get an estimate and he should pay 70% and you pay 30% because you lent him the truck. That'll be a lesson to you in a way, and also your truck will be in better condition than before. I never lend anyone my truck that can't afford to pay for any damage that might happen, or buy me a new one. That leaves few people on my list that can borrow my truck.
Dude Havic,

I would agree with your 70/30 split, but he went 4 wheeling without persmission!!!!!!!!!!! That is much more dangerous to the rig than your average milk run or daily drive. I would give a few people persmission for on road use, but off-road no way, that is my priviledge to kill my paint, allignment and whatever else. What kind of a friend is that????????? Some friend. I do not have such irresponsible friends (now family yes, but friends no). Why should he pay 30%, but I will admit at least he is helping, the only other recourse is a lawsuit. But this type of thing shows what people are truly made of.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:43 AM

Reading this today kinda scares me cause i just let my girlfriend take my truck and you know how women drive!!!
Old 07-22-2004, 10:53 AM

FunRunner01, he didn't say that his friend couldn't take it off-roading either, he just lent his truck out. His friend didn't ask, so he didn't tell. So he had to be prepared for any type of scenario to happen. Also, we don't know what type of friendship they had that made his friend feel comfortable enough to take it off-road. That is a questionable boundary in any friendship, but maybe not theirs. I feel sorry for what happened to his truck, but it's one of those things you have to learn. He could've said no, and this wouldn't have happened, so part of the blame is on him. Maybe 75/25, but he should take part of the cost.

Last edited by havic; 07-22-2004 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: my 4 runner got wrecked