Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Motor is coming out - what maintenance makes sense?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor is coming out - what maintenance makes sense?

Pulling the motor out of our wrecked '99 4runner and dropping it in a '98 we picked up with seized motor. Swapping motor, manual trans, t-case, eLocker and interior from the '99 in to the '98.

Our '99 ran like a top with zero issues before the accident. Since the motor is coming out and it is time for a timing belt, going to do the whole kit from aircabinman using genuine parts....belts, t-stat, water pump, pulleys, belts, etc.

My questions is - since it will be out and on an engine stand, what other preventative maintenance makes sense? It is 174kmi on it and has zero leaks as of now.

Will be putting it back together with a new clutch and radiator since we'll have it apart.

Interested in what else might make sense to replace while we have it out.

TIA for any input!
Old 08-09-2017, 11:25 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It depends on your plans .

All the hoses and belts maybe all the vacuum lines .

Hard to guess without seeing what things look like
Old 08-10-2017, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Really just looking to make something solid that will last another 100k. Since the '99 was wrecked and we have the nice low-er mile motor that is coming out, mostly trying to get a jump on any maintenance items that will be more easily done with the motor on a stand. I ordered a load of parts - timing belt kit with water pump, t-stat, belts and gaskets, a valve cover gasket kit with intake gasket, PCV valve, grommet, spark plug gaskets, plug wires, a new radiator, rear main seal, front crankshaft seal, camshaft seal, marlin crawler clutch kit and flywheel.

Mostly just trying to do this right the first time. Want a reliable daily driver that will be trail-able and fun off road.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:20 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I would suggest checking the rear main, but looks like that is on your list. A diesel mechanic told me that on high mileage engines its a good idea to replace the main bearings. This brings your oil pressure back up to original specs and should insure many more miles from the lump. I have nothing to compare this to, but I plan to do this on my engine before the swap.