Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

More E-Locker Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More E-Locker Questions

It was recently brought to my attention that some pre-‘98 Tacoma’s came with an E-Locker from the factory. I have a 1996 V6 Standard Cab that I would like to install an E-Locker into. I know there has already been a lot of discussion about this swap into 96+ 4Runners and ‘98+ Tacoma but I have never found an article that talks about swapping one into a 1996 Tacoma. I assume the swap is basically the same procedure however I am concerned about unforeseen bumps along with way. I have come up with a few questions that I have about the swap.

After reading and searching for the last 3 hours I have come to the conclusion that in order to avoid any sort of modifications to my currently installed original axle housing I will have to swap the whole axle. Is this true?

The axle would be coming from an already located 1999 TRD Tacoma with the same 4.10 gear ratio as my current differential. The TRD Tacoma has ABS but my truck does not. With the rear brakes still function correctly? Will this create any other installation troubles along with way?

I really want to use the factory “RR Lock” button on the dash. Will I need the switch AND the ECU to do this or just the switch?

I ask the last question because I am not even sure if I have a 4wheel drive ECU since it is a manual trans truck and I have manual locking front hubs. Do I have the 4 wheel drive ECU I keep seeing in pictures that is located down by driver side kick panel? If so, will it need to be replaced with one from the 1999 Tacoma?

If I do have a 4 wheel drive ECU will all of this be simple plug and play?

Are there any other components that I should try to get to ease the swap or make it possible?

Lastly, what is a fair price for an E-Locker equipped complete rear axle with 100,000 mi on it like the one I have described?

I apologize for the long winded questions but I really want to know what I am getting myself into before I take on a project like this. I really look forward to and appreciate any answers that can be provided.

Last edited by black_taco; 10-07-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by black_taco
I will have to swap the whole axle. Is this true?

Will the rear brakes still function correctly? Will this create any other installation troubles along with way?

I really want to use the factory “RR Lock” button on the dash. Will I need the switch AND the ECU to do this or just the switch?

I ask the last question because I am not even sure if I have a 4wheel drive ECU since it is a manual trans truck and I have manual locking front hubs. Do I have the 4 wheel drive ECU I keep seeing in pictures that is located down by driver side kick panel? If so, will it need to be replaced with one from the 1999 Tacoma?

If I do have a 4 wheel drive ECU will all of this be simple plug and play?

Are there any other components that I should try to get to ease the swap or make it possible
Yes you need the whole new rear axle.

No the brakes don't matter, im running abs rear axle in my non abs truck.

Technically no, when I had my elocker i made my own wiring harness and used the stock RR button and had the dash light working.

It's not going to be plug and play, since you dont have abs you dont have the other misc wiring for the elocker. There are three wiring harnesses abs, non abs, abs w elocker. Some abs came with just abs and some came with abs/elocker.

If you really want an elocker I'd just grab inchworms wiring harness for it.

I personally hate elockers, and would try to steer you clear of them.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=crolison;51567925]

Technically no, when I had my elocker i made my own wiring harness and used the stock RR button and had the dash light working.

It's not going to be plug and play, since you dont have abs you dont have the other misc wiring for the elocker. There are three wiring harnesses abs, non abs, abs w elocker. Some abs came with just abs and some came with abs/elocker.QUOTE][/

Can you expand on these two answers please. Thanks!

Sorry for my crappy quoteing skills and double post.

Last edited by black_taco; 10-09-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:32 PM

[QUOTE=crolison;51567925]No the brakes don't matter, im running abs rear axle in my non abs truck.

It's not going to be plug and play, since you dont have abs you dont have the other misc wiring for the elocker. There are three wiring harnesses abs, non abs, abs w elocker. Some abs came with just abs and some came with abs/elocker.QUOTE]
Old 10-07-2010, 08:49 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by crolison

It's not going to be plug and play, since you dont have abs you dont have the other misc wiring for the elocker. There are three wiring harnesses abs, non abs, abs w elocker. Some abs came with just abs and some came with abs/elocker.
Originally Posted by black_taco
Can you expand on these two answers please. Thanks!

Sorry for my crappy quoteing skills and double post.
In your above posts edit them and put [/ behind the final "QUOTE"

You should have a 4X4 ECU. No matter if you have J shift or push button Transfercase. I believe you'll need the locker computer and switch.

The above answer is a tangent of chris's second answer.
You probably don't have the wiring so you probably won't be able to just plug stuff in.

I agree with Chris, buy inchworms harness and be done with it.

Also. You have what is called an "8.4" axle. Technically the ring gear is only 10mm larger then the Elocker 8" but its almost impossible to put an 8" elocker differential into an "8.4" non TRD axle.

Since you found a complete setup though, you should be fine.

I'd pay anywhere from 3-500 depending on how it looks.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:05 AM

Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like something I may end up doing down the road just not right. Mainly because they want almost twice the suggested fair price assuming Scuba was quoting the entire axle, drum to drum.