Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Melting the Cat in a 3rd gen 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Melting the Cat in a 3rd gen 4runner

I have a 2001 4runner and one day I was driving on the highway. I heard a loud noise come out of the engine and an immediate loss of power. I couldn't even go pass 40 mph. Since I was only a couple of miles from my dealership I took it in. They told me I blew out one of my cylinders and they would have to replace the entire engine block. It took them a month to do it and it still wasn't running right. So I brought it back again and they found out that I melted the cat. I didn't even know you could melt a cat and that’s what started all my problems. With all the back pressure the supercharger would over boost and the cylinders would be overcharged causing them to blow. The good thing is I didn’t have to pay a penny for anything because of warranty. The problem I am having is that the acceleration is worse than the day I didn't even have a supercharger. The car will rev up quickly but not get me anywhere and it is also making a rattling sound. I took it back to the dealership and they have no idea and won’t help me. I have looked over the entire car and I can’t come up with anything. I need some help. Can anyone give me any ideas to what might be wrong or what I should do? This happend right after i had TRD headers put in. Does anyone think that that is why the cat melted or does anyone have a clue why a cat would melt? Any advice could help me out greatly.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:17 PM
Away

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, why won't the dealer help you? Didn't they install all the TRD items? If they did, then they're responsible for the problems...

Anyway, a melted Cat could be caused by too rich of a fuel mixture, which would first clog and then overheat the Cat. Or way too lean of a mixture which causes extraordinarily high EGT's which would also fry the Cat.

I'd lean on the dealer or call Toyota Customer Care and talk to them about your experience.

Just so you know, it's been heavily documented that the engine runs pretty lean with the TRD Supercharger without installing additional fuel enhancements and engine computer modifications. TRD refuses to give creidbility to these claims however...

Here's a page about that. Here's another page about it.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Dr. Z

PS: Welcome to the forums!