Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Manual Hub Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Hub Problems...

I got some used Aisin hubs the other day and have been having some problems with them. The one on the driver side works fine but when driving with it in the "free" position it makes a weird noise. Almost sounds like a bearing or something is spinning in there. I took it apart to find that the little ball is missing, but still makes the weird noise.

The other one is a little more messed up. When I install it it doesn't quite make it all the way to the "lock" position. It just gets stuck right before it. However, when in the "free" position the axle and everything still spins. Any ideas as to whats going on here?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-29-2004, 04:51 PM

I have the same problem with one of my hubs not going all the way to lock. And I am getting some kind of funny noise from that side of my truck. I think I may try and rebuild that side to see if that takes care of it. Did you get yours fixed yet?
Old 08-29-2004, 04:59 PM

No I haven't had time to fix mine yet. I've been at school.

What I've done is ran them both locked and the noise goes away. I've taken them both apart and rebuilt them. The one making the noise is missing the tiny ball. Anybody know if that'll cause the noise?
Old 08-29-2004, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you sure that you got both springs installed correctly, its kind of hard to explain, someone has a exploded view of a hub, so they may post
Old 08-30-2004, 03:47 PM

Well, I think I do. To get it back together I had to take apart the other side to get the one side back together. Took me awhile to take them apart and put them back together.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
On the one with the bearing...I'm not sure if it'll fix the prob, but I'd find something to replace it with. It may be that the dial isn't secured by the bearing when you turn it to free.
On the other..I'm not quite sure. I'd check the springs like jkirk mentioned and also just start from the bottom, work your way up. Start with the dial in with the snap ring and see if it turns all the way. Check that notch on the inside of the ring where the dial meets it and see if that got screwed up. Sorry...tons of thoughts
hope this helps....
Old 08-30-2004, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by AW1090
On the one with the bearing...I'm not sure if it'll fix the prob, but I'd find something to replace it with. It may be that the dial isn't secured by the bearing when you turn it to free.
On the other..I'm not quite sure. I'd check the springs like jkirk mentioned and also just start from the bottom, work your way up. Start with the dial in with the snap ring and see if it turns all the way. Check that notch on the inside of the ring where the dial meets it and see if that got screwed up. Sorry...tons of thoughts
hope this helps....
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to replace the bearing as soon as possible.

Thanks again!
Old 09-01-2004, 10:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No prob!! let me know if that was it or not....if not we'll try something else
Old 09-02-2004, 06:48 AM

i have warn hubs, not aisin's but here goes

my front left tire was making some horrible grinding type noises, but not all the time. kinda of a grind/spin noise every 30mins or something. couldn't figure out wtf was going on. locked the hub and the noise went away. this was on a 300mile drive from school to home btw. a week went by and i forgot about it.

eventually i pulled off the hub thinking that was the problem, regreased it, made sure nothign was busted. it wasn't. all looked good. put it back together and was still getting the noise occasionally. i eventually tore down the entire hub and found out my wheel bearings where shot. replaced the bearings and races. no more noise

but since you weren't getting any noise before, that might not be your problem. but if it's been a while since you repacked your bearings, it might be a good time anyways.