Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

maintenance advice for my 97 4runner?

Old 04-02-2010, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maintenance advice for my 97 4runner?

i just bought my very 1st toyota. a 97 4runner limited 4x4 with 213.xxx miles. its currently at 215k miles. when i bought it the PO has changed the oil and tires but that was about it. and so far since i've owned it, the timing belt and water pump has been changed new, valve cover gaskets been changed new since it was leaking, intake mani gaskets were changed as well, transmission fluid, front and rear diff fluids were changed new, spark plugs with ngk iridium, the k&n filter that came with the car was washed and cleaned and lubed, coolant was flushed of course, i've also cleaned the throttle body, maf, and iac. now my question is what else can i change new? this 4runner has been running really good since i've done all that but i would really like to know what else i can do since i believe the PO (which was a lady) has never done anything to it since she owned it at 149k miles.

so yeah kinda new to a toyota and i really dont know what else i can change out. would like to know your inputs as im pretty sure you guys are pro at maintenance. thank you for the inputs i really appreciate it.

i know its time for an oil change pretty soon. would like to know if i can go synthetic since i have no more leaks? what would you recommend and what brand?

i've been getting this tick from the engine since the new belt and water pump was put in. any suggestions? seafoam??? =D

lmk thanks guys!
Old 04-02-2010, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
install a new radiator, or add an external tranny cooler. now, not later
Old 04-02-2010, 04:40 AM

Radiator? I don't have any leaks or it don't look old and abused.....coolant looks fine. I'll look into that tho. External Tranny cooler....what does that look like and what is the benefit of having that? I don't do any off-roading. Just a daily driver. Thank you for the input.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:44 AM

There's a few schools of thought on this but, since it has 215,000 on Dino oil I would just keep using the dino. Maybe get some Castrol GTX High Mileage 10W30 and call it a day.

If you are hell bent on using synthetic oil. I would go with Amsoil it is hands down the best synthetic motor oil money can buy. Don't use Mobil 1 it's crap.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by ahtub
Radiator? I don't have any leaks or it don't look old and abused.....coolant looks fine. I'll look into that tho. External Tranny cooler....what does that look like and what is the benefit of having that? I don't do any off-roading. Just a daily driver. Thank you for the input.
lets just say that a fair percentage of 3rd gen atf coolers failed with no
warning. pay 180 bucks now get a new radiator, or pay 700 or 1700 later
if it fails.

will it fail ? you would have to cut the radiator open to find out.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yea those radiators are prone to mixing the ATF and the Coolant which can destroy your transmission. This happens internally and you will never see it coming.

Search the forum for tranny failure and see for yourself the effects on not changing the radiator...
Old 04-02-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by pruney81
There's a few schools of thought on this but, since it has 215,000 on Dino oil I would just keep using the dino. Maybe get some Castrol GTX High Mileage 10W30 and call it a day.

If you are hell bent on using synthetic oil. I would go with Amsoil it is hands down the best synthetic motor oil money can buy. Don't use Mobil 1 it's crap.
Mobile 1 is crap? Lets not go there.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NGK plug wires, o2 sensors, cam and crank sensors, TPS, and a temp sensor are about all I can think of other than what you have already done.
o2 sensors and tps will likely help with fuel mileage and peace of mind!! urdusa.com has some of the best prices.
Cam and crank sensor will just be a avoidance of possible issues as well as the temp sensor.

Last edited by eddieleephd; 04-03-2010 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
lets just say that a fair percentage of 3rd gen atf coolers failed with no
warning. pay 180 bucks now get a new radiator, or pay 700 or 1700 later
if it fails.

will it fail ? you would have to cut the radiator open to find out.
What happens is an area inside the OEM radiator lets go and mixes the antifreeze with tranny fluid. Ruins your Tranny. What most people do is get an external tranny cooler, mount it infront of the radiator and run new lines from the tranny to the new cooler, totally bypassing the one in the OEM radiator. It's cheap, easy and will\could save you tons of money and headache in the long run. Their are many threads on here about it. Search for "Milkshake" or "Tranny Cooler".

Hope that gives you some insite on why you should do it. I changed all fluids when I got mine. Oil, ATF, Diffs, ect... Did I need to do it, Hell I don't know but it sure didn't hurt and I now I know when and what's in it.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-02-2010, 10:40 PM

search 'strawberry milkshake' for the very real possibility you may have that trouble. Hence the suggestion regarding external tranny cooler. You may or may not need a new radiator but the suggestion is while doing the other work you may as well...

Power steering reservoir fluid springs to mind (hint it is actually Auto tranny fluid), Brake fluid flush, name a liquid and it should likely be changed and synthetic is a bit more but perhaps worth it. Depends who you ask as noted by the oil discussion above.

5w-30 is the recommended viscosity I do believe and I don't recommend 10W-30 synthetic or dino oil for that matter. It's again a matter of opinion but why argue with Toyota's recommendations...

At your mileage- front end suspensions have failed. Alignment even if you think you don't need it might be wise... have them look over your ball joints and tie rod inners and outers and steering rack and bushings and so on.

Page back just a few months on this very forum and you will see other areas of concern. Rear axle seals are a common failure. Our trucks are great but if you have had a previous neglectful owner it can catch up to you in a hurry. Rear diff breather not a bad idea to be sure you are venting properly back there... maybe even change out the front diff breather...

T4R.org is Runner specific and if you don't get enough ways to spend your money over here just look over there a bit for more ideas...
Old 04-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

I can't remember if you said it already but the fuel filter would be a good idea - my mileage improved quite a bit after I replaced the one on my '99 years ago.

You've got a good list of things already, pretty impressed actually - most people on here go straight for the lifts and sound systems.

I'm surprised the cat isn't bad on it with that many miles on it - did the PO put an aftermarket exhaust on it or replace any of that?
Same with the O2 sensor, mine blew at around 130k on my '99.

Fink
Old 04-04-2010, 03:52 AM

thanks for the replies so far guys. i forgot to mention, when i bought the 4runner, i opened up the radiator cap and it did look like chocolate milkshake that spew out. that was why i took it in to get it power flushed and new tranny fluid changed out. now the coolant looks like it should and the guy that replaced the fluids didn't say nothing to me about all that you guys said so thank you once again. im really looking into changing out the radiator and doing the tranny cooler thing.

but anybody know where i can get some DIY info on changing the fuel filter ? sorry, like i said, everything is new to me and i've search but only found forums that people say they've just replaced their fuel filter.....i guess its that easy???
Old 04-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ahtub

but anybody know where i can get some DIY info on changing the fuel filter ? sorry, like i said, everything is new to me and i've search but only found forums that people say they've just replaced their fuel filter.....i guess its that easy???
It's that easy. Soak the nuts once or twice just in case. Use a tubing wrench to be extra careful. Have a rag nearby. Maybe some glasses to wear (gas really hurts when it gets in your eyes!) I did mine last year, and while others have fought the nuts holding the fuel line, mine were quite easy (maybe it was changed once or twice already).
Old 04-04-2010, 06:15 PM

so im reading this about tranny cooler and such. just want an opinion. i have 97 4runner with about 155k miles. bought it used with about 115k on it. i live in arizona where its hella hot for about half the year. i don't think the radiator in mine has ever been replaced. so should i buy a new radiator and this external tranny cooler. or just a new radiator? what radiators are all you using(aftermarket ones?). i really don't want to run into this milkshake problem. i just looked at my coolant and it looks good as of now. opinions???
Old 04-04-2010, 07:49 PM

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Subscribing. I'm at 124k in a '98 and don't have a new radiator or a transmission cooler. Might need to look into this. No milkshakes in my yard!
Old 04-04-2010, 07:53 PM

ok, so interesting thing about the milkshake, not sure if i have that on my new 97 (with 160k) but something goofy is going on. if i add a tranny cooler do i need to replace the radiator? oh, mine is also standard but i would assume that the setup is the same for standard and auto trannys.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by hdoggie24
so im reading this about tranny cooler and such. just want an opinion. i have 97 4runner with about 155k miles. bought it used with about 115k on it. i live in arizona where its hella hot for about half the year. i don't think the radiator in mine has ever been replaced. so should i buy a new radiator and this external tranny cooler. or just a new radiator? what radiators are all you using(aftermarket ones?). i really don't want to run into this milkshake problem. i just looked at my coolant and it looks good as of now. opinions???

you can just get a Koyo direct replacement and have a tranny cooler inside the radiator like stock. this system will need to be changed every 10 years or so. if this system fails, you fix what broke and throw lots of extra money at cleaning the transmission extensively (and that may not be a cure-all) this system when it fails can cause $1700 damage worst-case

an external cooler would let either the radiator fail or the tranny cooler fail without milkshake the tranny and you'd only need to fix what broke. this system when fails will stop your vehicle before $1700 damage can occur

cheapest and easiest...it is your call. I got an OEM radiator and dropped it in, knowing if I have this hog 10 more years, I will do it again.

all I can say is 10 years is a long time for the OEM radiator. I am the only original owner of a 99 LTD 4runner, and always had excellent
dealer maintenance. and my radiator tranny cooler let go. 800 bucks later everything seems 100% and it shifts better than ever, but:
no guarantee my tranny didn't have it's life drastically reduced from the milkshake incident (though I may have escaped doom)
[...but I might have avoided 1700 in tranny repairs, or not. if she slips, that will be $1700 on top of what I just shelled out]

IF I had only ordered a Koyo direct replacement rad in January before anything failed, [when I was thinking hard about it], I could have replaced it myself and saved 680 bucks !!!!!

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 04-05-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Redwood
ok, so interesting thing about the milkshake, not sure if i have that on my new 97 (with 160k) but something goofy is going on. if i add a tranny cooler do i need to replace the radiator? oh, mine is also standard but i would assume that the setup is the same for standard and auto trannys.
you do not have a tranny cooler it is gear oil not tranny fluid.....

ahtub beings you are in AZ. I would recommend an after market tranny cooler!!
The temps there can create a lot of high temps and you would be better off with an external!!! not sure if you need a new radiator I have a manual so...
Old 04-05-2010, 11:01 AM

subscribed! When I have the money I'll have to do some of the listed things above.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by survivorman97
Mobile 1 is crap? Lets not go there.
This. Mobil 1 is great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: maintenance advice for my 97 4runner?