Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

MAF Sensor, Clean or Replace???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAF Sensor, Clean or Replace???

At 60K miles, dealers says this is giving me the CEL. He said cleaning not recommended but I`ve read a few threads here that people are doing it. They called me and said it`s in so should I pay the $160. for the part or clean it?
Old 12-27-2004, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can always try cleaning it, what do you have to lose, why pay 160, when you can try to clean it for a few bucks
Old 12-27-2004, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Go get some electrical contact cleaner. Clean it up, replace/change/clean air filter, reset code and drive. If it happens again, then clena it again. There is no sense in spending the money if you can fix it yourself. I have cleaned mine several times and had no problems.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditto on the "clean it"... But,

Originally Posted by Jboy
At 60K miles, dealers says this is giving me the CEL.
What's the code? If you don't have a reader, a parts shop should be able to read it for you.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
Ditto on the "clean it"... But,

What's the code? If you don't have a reader, a parts shop should be able to read it for you.
I know....I didn`t get the code. He showed me the reader and it said running lean. I forgot to ask for the code. I`m going to clean it tomorrow when it`s not raining outside. Thanks for the advise
Old 12-27-2004, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

I know....I didn`t get the code. He showed me the reader and it said running lean. I forgot to ask for the code. I`m going to clean it tomorrow when it`s not raining outside. Thanks for the advise
They should give you the code no problem.
I would try to clean it as well (it is very easy to do) and replace if the CEL stays.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

Clean it. Throw away your K&N filter that is charged with oil. Replace with a Toyota stock filter. No more problem.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by gwhayduke
Clean it. Throw away your K&N filter that is charged with oil. Replace with a Toyota stock filter. No more problem.
Ok, today I cleaned it. Canceled the new MAF sensor order. Hopefully this will do it. I can`t throw the K&N away as I have the Filter Charger system not the replacement filter. Thanks for the advise everyone.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

By the way, here's one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Buy a stock airbox from someone who has just put a filtercharger on. The oiled K&N deposits oil on everything in the intake and it lets more dust in to boot. Research it here and on the web. The evidence ain't in K&N's favor.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:50 PM

So what is up with the million mile warranty??
Old 12-28-2004, 11:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ooooooohhh, ya thats it--- yur right. The filtercharger thingamajig actually causes a loss in horsepower and increase in noise. Not surprisingly an increase in electrical part failure too... I ditched mine long ago when experimenting with the SC, ur better off just cutting the front out of the airbox and putting a stock filter in there. A small side effect is that your truck will have more power then.

T
Old 12-28-2004, 11:59 PM

I remember replacing that big-`ole airbox and thought to myself I shouldn`t dump it, but I did. This is long before I got involved here. That day I thought the FIPK is the ˟˟˟˟, I mean I had it in my 92 Toy pup and compared to the Downey headers it was the biggest HP improvement I did. So I surely assumed it would make a big difference in the runner. Well, after getting this dirty MAF prob and the many hate threads about K&N, what is one to do w/o the stock airbox. Tell me where can I find a cheap airbox on-line???
Old 12-29-2004, 01:25 AM
Contributing Member

Tell me where can I find a cheap airbox on-line???
No worries man, at least you know how to cure the problem.
Do you guys have any local boneyards on the islands?
.....airbox and MAF can come from a Taco or 4runner 1999-2002
Old 12-29-2004, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
No worries man, at least you know how to cure the problem.
Do you guys have any local boneyards on the islands?
.....airbox and MAF can come from a Taco or 4runner 1999-2002
Yes we do, will search
Old 12-29-2004, 12:54 PM

Hey, Jboy I might need a new MAF to. If you come across one for the 97 let me know. When I get a chance to check the junk yard here on Oahu for mine and yours. Its funny everytime I go they have nothing for the 4runners
Old 12-31-2004, 06:09 PM

Just about everyone here hates the K&N. But i've gotta say, I 've had mine in for about 70,000 miles and haven't had a problem. I think it lies with overcleaning it and using too much oil.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Just about everyone here hates the K&N. But i've gotta say, I 've had mine in for about 70,000 miles and haven't had a problem. I think it lies with overcleaning it and using too much oil.
I live in the desert, which means lots of dust. A mining company ran a test using K&N filters and had their oil analyzed over a period of time and compared the results to a stock paper filter. The K&N vehicle had more silica (sandy dust) than the paper element vehicle. Since I keep my vehicles practically forever, I tossed my K&N that I had on the '95. Hold yours up to the sky on a clear sky day. You'll see pinholes through the guaze. Where you see pinholes of light, dust is going to sneak through.

When I got my '99 4Runner the original owner had installed a K&N filter (with the K&N, "do not throwaway" sticker on the airbox) that the dealer had removed and had replaced with a stock filter element. The 4Runner got 17.4 mpg on the first tank. I changed the plugs, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the TB and mileage jumped to 20 intown.

K&N is in the business to sell filters. In my 46 years, I've been promised everything from whiter teeth to "this is gonna hurt me more than it's gonna hurt you." K&N does it with smoke and mirrors like most of the companies in the world. Take it from a former advertising man. It's all a bunch of hooey. They tell you what you want to hear.

However, with the power of the web now, we can compare notes, post reviews and avoid getting taken. Do a little research. It's well worth your time (and money).
Old 07-03-2011, 09:11 PM

I don't believe these claims of gas mileage. I've never seen a 4runner get more than 18 on the highway, and I've had 3 of them. My dads single cab shortbed taco with the 2.7 doesn't even get that much, so I'm gonna have to call BS.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Even though this thread is 7 years old, I'll chime in and agree with you. I have owned 2 4runners and my two best friends have Tacoma's and we all get 16 to 18 on average.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:34 AM
Contributing Member

Amazing how these old threads crop up from time to time. I still have the '99 and it still gets 20 mpg in town and 22 on the highway with summer gas. Awesome vehicle. Tell your buddies they should have gotten a manual transmission.

Edit: 165,000 miles now, and no oil burning.

Last edited by gwhayduke; 07-12-2011 at 03:36 AM.

Quick Reply: MAF Sensor, Clean or Replace???