Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lug Nuts for Alloy Wheels

Old 05-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Nic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lug Nuts for Alloy Wheels

I've been playing with the idea of purchasing some used alloy wheels to replace my steel wheels. Places like eBay has them for sale all the time.

Anyway, from reading threads here, it is my understanding that the lug nuts for my steel wheels are different than the ones used on the alloys.

So, not only will I have to buy the alloys, but I will have to purchase different lug nuts as well. It seems that I have read somewhere that the dealer charges $5.00 per lug nut. Is this true? If so, that is $120.00 just for lug nuts.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Nic
I've been playing with the idea of purchasing some used alloy wheels to replace my steel wheels. Places like eBay has them for sale all the time.

Anyway, from reading threads here, it is my understanding that the lug nuts for my steel wheels are different than the ones used on the alloys.

So, not only will I have to buy the alloys, but I will have to purchase different lug nuts as well. It seems that I have read somewhere that the dealer charges $5.00 per lug nut. Is this true? If so, that is $120.00 just for lug nuts.
You're right! The lugs are different. Alloy lugs are "acorned", meaning they are somewhat tapered at the end. Most tire shops sell them for $1 each!

What rims are you looking at? I have 4 OEM 16's (with lugs and caps) for $165 in the for sale section.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Nic

Thanks for the clarification. Actually, I am looking for 15 inch wheels. Otherwise, I would definitely be interested.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:33 AM

yes very true, and very said, as I was one of the few stupid enough to pay the 150 for lugnuts......

I'm sure you can find lugnuts at local junkyards. I just have no patience.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Toyo_Runner96
yes very true, and very said, as I was one of the few stupid enough to pay the 150 for lugnuts......

I'm sure you can find lugnuts at local junkyards. I just have no patience.

you paid $150 for lugnuts

give me some money rich boy
Old 05-02-2004, 01:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i thought most lug nuts were tapered? as in having a conical seat?
Old 05-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Alloy wheels

Originally Posted by Nic

I got a set that came off a Tacoma, alloys powder coated to a gun metal color with a set of off road tires. I think I even got the lugnuts too. PM me if you are intereseted.

Best of all, I'm in Tuscaloosa, just a two hour drive or so away.

Old 05-02-2004, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
i thought most lug nuts were tapered? as in having a conical seat?
Basically, there are two types of lug nuts. The conical type are usually for steel wheels, they contact the wheel on a corresponding chamfered surface of the wheel holes. While most alloy wheels use a lug nut that has a flat washer built in that contacts on the flat surface of the wheel hole. If you try to use a conical lug nut on an alloy wheel, it will usually deform the alloy wheel hole and ruin it. Instead of going with the OEM lug nuts from Toyota, you can usually find replacements at most auto-parts stores and dept stores like WalMart. Just have to know the bolt size and pitch to get the right ones. A complete set should cost under $50.00 including a set of anti-theft lug nuts.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

Whoops, as you can see I get my thoughts mixed up and said the acorned lugs were for alloy's. They are NOT, as you can see above. Funny I messed that up since I just ended buying 24 new acorned lugs for my steelies.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Nic

OK, so I can get a set a Wal-Mart for a reasonable price. That's not too bad then.

Thanks for the offer Brian, but I was looking for a set like this:

Old 05-03-2004, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nic
OK, so I can get a set a Wal-Mart for a reasonable price. That's not too bad then.

Thanks for the offer Brian, but I was looking for a set like this:

Nic, It is hard to tell from the pic, but if those are the wheels you are intending to install, you will have to check the type of wheel holes on them. The alloy type of lug nuts I was referring to in my earlier post were like the ones I have on my '03. The wheel hole that the lug bolt goes in is a straight cut hole with 90 degree shoulders and no hardened lug nut insert. This is why the lug nuts use a flat washer and a shoulder to hold the wheel. I have seen some alloy wheels that have a chamfered hardened insert in the wheel holes that do use a conical type of lug nut instead of the washer type. It almost looks like the wheel in the pic is of this type.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Nic

Hmm, OK. I see what you are saying. You explained that very well.

I am totally clueless as to what type lug it would be. From the picture, it does look like it could possibly use the regular type lug nut. I do know that this wheel should fit my truck though.

One thing that has worried me about buying a set is the possibility of regular lug nuts having been used on alloys. Could that have been the case here? I'm assuming regular lug nuts would tear up alloys pretty bad?
Old 05-03-2004, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nic
Hmm, OK. I see what you are saying. You explained that very well.

I am totally clueless as to what type lug it would be. From the picture, it does look like it could possibly use the regular type lug nut. I do know that this wheel should fit my truck though.

One thing that has worried me about buying a set is the possibility of regular lug nuts having been used on alloys. Could that have been the case here? I'm assuming regular lug nuts would tear up alloys pretty bad?
It all depends on how the wheels were designed. The ones, like mine, that use the shoulder/washer combo don't have the hardened seats. If you try to use a conical type lug nut on them, the metal which is around the hole will deform very easily and ruin the wheel. If the wheel has the hardened inserts, then it is designed to work with conicals, and should not be damaged.

Make sense to you?
Old 05-03-2004, 04:15 PM
Nic

Yup. Perfectly.

I was referring to using conical lug nuts on alloys without the hardened seats.

I will just make sure that has not happened to the set I buy.

Thanks for all the info.