Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Looks like i got my first scratch on my 03 4runner

Old 03-28-2003, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like i got my first scratch on my 03 4runner

looks like some a**hole bumped into my back bumper and left two nice round screw shaped marks on the silver part of my bumper. I am totally shocked this happened since ive left my toe hitch in since i got the truck hoping they would hit that not my truck. The sob must have been the perfect hieght to do it. Im alittle pissed you cant keep anything these days cause there are to many morons out there just waiting to mess it up. Im waiting for a rear bumper bar from jaos or tal haddas. It will cover right were the marks are but give me a break. People suck. Chris
Old 03-28-2003, 06:43 AM

That sucks man.

Hey does anybody know how to get little bumps and dings out of the chrom bumper? Cuz when I bought mine, that didn't bother me back then because I wasn't really into cars, but now I think it looks really bad. And I have two dings on the side of my door too. Any suggestions?
Old 03-28-2003, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
That sucks man.

Hey does anybody know how to get little bumps and dings out of the chrom bumper? Cuz when I bought mine, that didn't bother me back then because I wasn't really into cars, but now I think it looks really bad. And I have two dings on the side of my door too. Any suggestions?
I have the same "problem" with my rear bumper. There are dents and a couple dings. The dents can be pounded out, but you have to be REALLY careful, and have the right tools (rubber mallet, curved pounder). You will also need to take the bumper off, but that's not really hard.

The rear bumper can be replaced pretty cheap, so I am not going to worry about it too much. I saw one on ebay for $35+$40 shipping.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:52 AM

and the side door?
Old 03-28-2003, 07:05 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry to hear that Impulse.

For a few years here my "X" upstairs neighbor I had them trained to park way away from me, as I told her I don't appreciate dings or scratches that are man/female made on my rig.

Last June new neighbors moved in with a minivan that would take about 10 trips a day out of the parking lot here ferrying their kids, other neighbors to & fro.

Before I got my sliderz powder coated, I noticed some nicks in it that matched up with their front door of the van.
I let them know I was not to happy about it, and now they give me a wider berth.

It was not the husband driving the van, it was the wife.
When he drove it, he'd park far enough away.
She'd park real close to me when she had tons of room on the other side of her as no one parks there.

I resorted to using a pipe insulatin tube, and it can be
seen here on the passenger side slider.

It is a shame when you have to resort to something like this, but some people have no respect for others property.
They think just because it's a vehicle it's OK to do this.
I wonder how they would feel if I took my axe to their china hutch or their TV set?
You think they would get upset
Old 03-28-2003, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

moron drivers

something similar happened to my wife's pathfinder... some ***hole tagged her bumper while she was at work (the car bumper that is ) no chrome bumper either - its one of those 5 mph plastic bumpers. the corner looked like lennox lewis had a sparing match with it. i pushed it out as much as i could, but the paint is pretty dinged up and its a little outta wack on the side. why can't people drive???
Old 03-28-2003, 07:14 AM

i have no idea why people cant drive. I park as far as possible away from people in parking lots. But around here most parking is metering parking(parellel parking) so the assholes think when they hit you bumper thats when its time to stop and go the other way to get in the spot. I had one dumb women do it right in front of me on my old explorer, oh I wasnt very happy and she heard it. HEHE Chris
Old 03-28-2003, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

I'm in a used truck so the dents it came with don't count. As far as new dents I would like to be the one to put them in thanks, and all the scratches should have a war story like a scare on your face.
so I came out of the gym and noticed some fata** hauling her 4 fat kids around. open her minivan door, slamming it into my truck, pack her herd up and start pushing them towards what was in my mind just where the shouldn't be going, burger king ( extra fries for the little one I hope ). I ran over in a hurry. as in. "what the f%$# you fat B*#&@ hit my truck and walk away?" as it turns out her door hit my stupid nurff bars, really messing up her door and mearly marking up the nerf's (I want armor not nerfs) after seeing her door she was actually mad at me for having the nerfs stick out so far... just seeing her mad was enough for me, so I smiled big, got in the truck and pulled away.

Just thought ya'll would like to hear a story that "we" won

have one for the Boys (go USA)
VR
repo
Old 03-28-2003, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Corey-

That is hilarious that you put pipe insulation on your sliderz! LOL.

I will walk a mile before I park in a tight spot. It drives my wife nuts, but she is catching on. People just dont care, they have no respect for other people's property.

Sort of like this...

Old 03-28-2003, 08:49 AM

an old detaillers trick is to use dry ice to pull small dings from doors and hoods, trucks, roofs etc... as long as the ding is not on an edge or particularly thick metal it should "pull" the dent without marring the paint. I learned from a friend with a total custom paintjob on his Nissan. To the nature of a $10,000.00 custom paintjob. He has received a few small dings and everytime has made a trip to the butcher for some dry ice. He holds it with tongs close to the ding and it just "pops" out. He told me it had something to do with protons/neutrons/atoms in the metal and the dry ice changes them or draws them closer together or further apart or soething which causes the metal flex, which in turn pops the ding. I have seen it work but didn't pay enough attention in science class to really know how it works. I have seen it done and done it twice myself. It worked once but the other dent was on the tailgate and my friend says it's too thick there to work.

Give it a try.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:54 AM

hmm...that sounds interesting....

Has anybody seen, or have the product where you put it on the body and it's sorta like a suction cup, and you twist it and the dent pops back out. Anybody know anything about it?
Old 03-28-2003, 09:02 AM

dry ice sounds cool, ive never heard of that before.

Yeah people suck you have to deal with all the inconsiderate people who just fling there doors open and just dont care.

What about those people who lean against your car or site on your car with there jeans. Rivets to wonders on paint. My mom rear trunk is in horrible shape because of stupid people sitting on her car. And the passanger side door looks very similar to the picture above.

I went shopping with my parents about six months ago. My dad as usual parks far away from everything like me. We come back and there is a nice size dent and scratch on the car from the moron who parked next to us. The person wasnt even smart enough to move the car after he was done smashing my dads door with his. We could see his paint on our car and exactly where the two doors met. Ill just say when the guy got back from shopping he couldnt have been very happy, cause he didnt have a side view mirror anymore.

Chris
Old 03-28-2003, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

ROFWL
Old 03-28-2003, 09:27 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
after seeing her door she was actually mad at me for having the nerfs stick out so far... just seeing her mad was enough for me, so I smiled big, got in the truck and pulled away.

Don't ya just love it?
They think it's your fault, when she was at fault.
Just like another thread I read a few weeks back where some person ran her front end into a Toyotas custom rear bumper.
Ruined here vehicle, yet there was hardly a scratch on the Toyotas bumper.

And get this, the owner of the Toyota was not even in it.
His rig was parked, she hit it, wanted to get him to pay for having such a beefy bumper on it

Corey-
That is hilarious that you put pipe insulation on your sliderz! LOL.

I will walk a mile before I park in a tight spot. It drives my wife nuts, but she is catching on. People just don't care, they have no respect for other people's property.

Yeah, I paid to get them powder coated, and by golly the way I feel any scratches I get on them are coming from me on off roading trips, not sitting still with my rig minding it's own business there taking a nap.

I also park far away from other vehicles.
I get the same spot each time at the two grocery stores I use.
I don't mind the extra walking either, as it's good for you.

Oh, when the other neighbors use to live upstairs, one time another vehicle pulled into buy some drugs from her.
They parked real close and I was watching out of my kitchen window.

Sure enough, the passenger opened up the door door and hit my Smittybilt nerfs I had before I got the sliderz.
I had a feeling they were going to hit it, so I was waiting with my alarm remote in my hand
As soon as I saw their door hit me, I activated the alarm and ran outside saying a few choice "F" words at them.

After that she must have told her customers to park elsewhere, as no one ever parked there again.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:16 AM

no insurance

one time i was backing out of a parking lot.... and i didnt see the guy in a BMW behind me so i ended of hitting the edge of his car. I was pissed at my self for doing it, so i moved my car back got out and the guy was got out and looked at the spot i had clearly scratched and said "uhhh actully i think i put that in there, so yeah i have to go now." proceeded to get in his car and speed off out of the parking lot....

maybe it was stolen or he didnt have insurance or something. It owned hard.

but yeah.... i had some fool hit me one time, i was pissed becuase he didnt think it was his fault.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:45 AM

No doubt this kind of thing is frustrating. I remember in college I had just gotten my Mustang painted. Parking was always tight at the college and I remember coming in one day and a guy had parked his car so that it took up part of a second space. But there was enough room where I could park in the space if I got over onto the grass. So that's what I did and I was sure to leave enough room so that I could get out without touching his car.

Well, when I came back that afternoon his car was gone and there was a huge scratch along the driver side door. I was pissed and thought this guy had some nerve. Not only did he take up more than one space but he damaged my car even when I left plenty of room between us.

About two weeks later I saw his car parked out on the street as I was on the way to class. It looked like a golden opprtunity to me and I reached in my pocket for a key and merily walked down the side of his car leaving my own mark. As I walked up the street around the corner a guy stops me and asks me if I received some damage on my car about two weeks prior (It was him!). I said yeah. He said that some asshole on a bicycle tried to ride his bike between our two cars and had crashed and that he just got his car back out of the shop. I thanked him for the info and walked away feeling like a total heel.

The moral of the story...getting your car damaged by someone else is really frustrating but be careful before you retaliate. Sometimes things aren't what they seem.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by rickwil61
No doubt this kind of thing is frustrating. I remember in college I had just gotten my Mustang painted. Parking was always tight at the college and I remember coming in one day and a guy had parked his car so that it took up part of a second space. But there was enough room where I could park in the space if I got over onto the grass. So that's what I did and I was sure to leave enough room so that I could get out without touching his car.

Well, when I came back that afternoon his car was gone and there was a huge scratch along the driver side door. I was pissed and thought this guy had some nerve. Not only did he take up more than one space but he damaged my car even when I left plenty of room between us.

About two weeks later I saw his car parked out on the street as I was on the way to class. It looked like a golden opprtunity to me and I reached in my pocket for a key and merily walked down the side of his car leaving my own mark. As I walked up the street around the corner a guy stops me and asks me if I received some damage on my car about two weeks prior (It was him!). I said yeah. He said that some asshole on a bicycle tried to ride his bike between our two cars and had crashed and that he just got his car back out of the shop. I thanked him for the info and walked away feeling like a total heel.

The moral of the story...getting your car damaged by someone else is really frustrating but be careful before you retaliate. Sometimes things aren't what they seem.

aaaaahhahhahahahha that's a funny story!
Old 03-28-2003, 12:09 PM

Whateever happened to "don't sweat the samll stuff"? Everybody seems so concerned about little dings and scratches. That part of life, its almost impossible to avoid if you go shopping or live anywhere near people. Must ordinary folks don't understand the truck thing and just see a car as another piece of furniture (which it really is) so they don't care if it gets bashed. I prefer to have my vehicles mechanically sound and slightly ugly looking. Less chance anyone wants to mess with it or steal it then!
Old 03-28-2003, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Kookadala
Whateever happened to "don't sweat the samll stuff"? Everybody seems so concerned about little dings and scratches. That part of life, its almost impossible to avoid if you go shopping or live anywhere near people. Must ordinary folks don't understand the truck thing and just see a car as another piece of furniture (which it really is) so they don't care if it gets bashed. I prefer to have my vehicles mechanically sound and slightly ugly looking. Less chance anyone wants to mess with it or steal it then!
Its not so much that I mind dents and small stuff. Its the fact that people have no respect. Seriously, just be careful with your doors. That's all I ask. Rock chips, dents, and scratches are going to happen. But why should they happen as a direct result of careless people? These door-dingers are the same people that snort, burp, fart and cough really loud in public, you know, the ones that "just dont care." I like to call them slobs. Now if you door ding me, and its a genuine accident, then so be it. Stuff happens. I can let that go. But a flailing door by a rude inconsiderate jerk will make me mad.

I spend a lot of time and money on how my truck looks, so I take blatent careless actions personally.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Scratches give your truck character, man.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looks like i got my first scratch on my 03 4runner