Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Look at this Alignment printout and see if it makes sense

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iwont be able to get pictures till thanksgiving when i get back home. I'll measure the distances in the rear wheel spacing tomorrow when its bright enough for me to see what i'm doing
Old 11-17-2009, 01:51 PM

what sears did you goto? i kno a guy at the cape one who knows alot about toyotas. does a real good job. u could just get it redone under warrenty
Old 11-17-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well there are at least 110 NASCAR teams between Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Trucks. All of which have multiple engineers who spend 5-7 days a week working and coming up with new chassis, spring, shocks, chassis, and anything else to do with a car. So i'm willing to bet that there is far more research conducted in NASCAR then any other car manufacture could compete with.

Why do you think car manufactures go to NASCAR for information and engineering? Including Toyota now. Yep that's right, even Toyota
Old 11-17-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by akaphilly
what sears did you goto? i kno a guy at the cape one who knows alot about toyotas. does a real good job. u could just get it redone under warrenty
Its a Sears auto up north of Boston in Salem, NH. The cape is about 2-3 hours ride for me. I'm struggling up here looking for someone who knows toyota trucks. most places are just import car shops.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
Sorry, your statement about far right vs most left lane doesn't make sense!

Why would a properly aligned steering pull in the left lane and not in the right lane???? Can you please explain the physics, mechanics, logic, or alignment setting.

YES, "crowns" on roadways is part of the construction criteria. Can you please explain how the "crown of the road" effects the alignment specifications and settings, or adjustments? I have NEVER seen any front end alignment specifications that have an adjustment or setting for the "crown of the road"!!! But, I'm not an alignment expert.

gNARLS.
Well.... I'll be man enough to admit when I'm wrong. I was angered by your statments so to prove you wrong I called my buddy (whicn you weren't). He said instead of explaining it to me he would give me the website that wad very helpful http://www.aa1car.com/library/tr295.htm. If you read in the section of Caster you will see this... "Steering pull that is caused by road crown can sometimes be compensated by adding positive caster to the left front wheel." When I asked my buddy about road crown he said it really shouldn't matter so much unless you are driving on the inside lane of a NASCAR bank. In real road conditions it's not a prevalent issue unless the road is indeed banked hard enough. He also told me that a lot of "alignment shops" will use the excuse of road crown in order not to have to do the same job again with out pay (comebacks). He went on to say if an alignment is done properly and on a GOOD road then the vehicle should not stray to either side requarless of what lane you are in. Gnarly: I stand corrected.

Last edited by Ironmike4x4; 11-18-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you watch them do the work?? which jig did they use? some times they just do not realize the proper jig and are lazy and just do not want to do a full alignment.
If they just used the dual sensor jig them they would not be able to align it right either way the proper jig is a three sensor jig and The only way the caster on these trucks is able to be done is with shims so the caster being off is telling me they did not use the proper jig and they didn't align the front to rear camber first. I would go make them do the front right and if they said that they aligned it for the crown of the road then tell them to align it for a skating rink because the crown of the road doesn't bother you!!!
and akaphilly is in the right place take it to a different Sears and have them do the work under warranty!!

Just watch and make sure they use the right jig and that they adjust front and back camber before they do the toe in and out!!

Last edited by eddieleephd; 11-23-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
eddie.... Here's "reality" check....

Interesting assertion. Do you have any white papers? Information? Inside contacts with the Toyota engineers? Reading material? Tech Bulletin? Trucker's Magazine article? Recent Toyota Recalls? Maybe some fine print in the FSM?

Or ANY evidence to support your "reality"???

gNARLS.
Honestly I am not going to go back and do all the research that I did when I was looking for my lift and making choices for what to buy. However if you look at any ome or camburg lift they say R and L specifically.
Before I did my lift I would look at the rear bumper and see that it was tilted down on the left due to the years of this added weight being on that side and not the other.
Now it is level on level ground. Go ahead and search the info that OME has on their site for the lift and you can even do all the research that I did a year ago searches like "less space on driver side than passenger side from wheel to wheel well" and a few more or see how many of these threads you can find.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-leaf-springs/

The suspension on these trucks is notably weak you can search it any where and see what you find.