Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lexus Push-Button Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus Push-Button Start

I was watching a Lexus GS commercial and saw that it had push-button start. Anyone want to attempt a push-button start mod? Sounds useless but friggin sweet.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

It must be one of those new fingerprint readers, cause just a push button start would kinda be easy to steal, lol, would be awesome to install if you could get one from a lexus
Old 03-24-2005, 05:40 PM
E1

Could be a proximity chip on a key fob. Unless your within a certian distance from the vehicle it wont start. Just a guess? Check out there web site I'm sure they have something on it.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:43 PM
Banned

You stick the key into the ignition, and you have the option of twisting the key or pressing the button. Just like the S2K...

there are kits available for about ~$50
Old 03-24-2005, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd prefer the toggle switch ignition and braided cable/padlock like the military H1 hummer's have.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:03 PM

Now does that $50 buy you a simple plastic switch that connects to a 12v source and the starter relay? Meaning even if the engine is running accidentally hitting the button turns the starter again?
Old 03-24-2005, 06:11 PM

the lexus push start will only work if you have the proximity chip within range. similar to what they have on the ls430, except you push a button instead of turning a knob. if the chip isnt nearby, you can push the button all you want and nothing will happen. except maybe the cops coming by if you arent the owner.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:18 PM

My friend's new Prius does that too. You get close to the car and it unlocks. I'm pretty sure you can drive it without the key too. She just keeps the key in her purse all the time.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by E1
Could be a proximity chip on a key fob. Unless your within a certian distance from the vehicle it wont start. Just a guess? Check out there web site I'm sure they have something on it.
That's what it is. I have it on my '05 Prius. It's ingenious and, like power windows, quickly becomes something you can't live without. I think a retrofit would be cost prohibitive. There is no key, although they include a cute little metal key (remember those?) about the size of a thick toothpick for emergency backup.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

i think its really cool...

a friend of mine had a starter swith on his old fordf150... it was cool, but useless.

.... they are now commonly used on ski and wakeboard boats for reasons of turning on and off the engine for unloading and such with riders...

Last edited by 96LtdYota; 03-24-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:01 PM

hmmm.... epitome of useless... but also at the same time the epitome of bad friggin arse...
Old 03-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Banned

i forget what car it is, but its a new high end one and the key never needs to be inserted into anything, it has dash push-button start and just pulling on the door handle will let it unlock if it senses you have the key, no door lock cylinder or anything..... all this new gadetry is cute and all, but what happens if your battery dies? electronic locks dont work without power, and a lot of the new ones dont even have standard key cuts or door lock cylinders @ all
Old 03-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimabena74
all this new gadetry is cute and all, but what happens if your battery dies? electronic locks dont work without power, and a lot of the new ones dont even have standard key cuts or door lock cylinders @ all
oh contrare... what good does a key do when your car has no power....
BAM... Busted!!!!

Last edited by 96LtdYota; 03-24-2005 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

i forget what car it is, but its a new high end one and the key never needs to be inserted into anything, it has dash push-button start and just pulling on the door handle will let it unlock if it senses you have the key, no door lock cylinder or anything..... all this new gadetry is cute and all, but what happens if your battery dies? electronic locks dont work without power, and a lot of the new ones dont even have standard key cuts or door lock cylinders @ all
I think that is Mercedes.

I sort of have a push button switch. I have my truck set up so you have to push the clutch start cancel switch to start it. I suppose if you wanted to you could turn the key to start and push the button.... sorta the same effect
Old 03-24-2005, 07:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 96LtdYota
oh contrare... what good does a key do when your car has no power....
BAM... Busted!!!!

a key to get into the car with no power is better, because once inside the car you can pop the hood to get a jump.... or push start ti if its a stick, if you are elcetronically locked out, you cant do either.....
Old 03-24-2005, 07:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gangus2006
You stick the key into the ignition, and you have the option of twisting the key or pressing the button. Just like the S2K...

there are kits available for about ~$50
man, i can't believe how unbelievably lazy people have gotten. this is even worse than pushbutton 4wd.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

a key to get into the car with no power is better, because once inside the car you can pop the hood to get a jump.... or push start ti if its a stick, if you are elcetronically locked out, you cant do either.....
I'm pretty sure you could still get in the car even if the battery was dead. You still have a key right, just use it like you would on a normal car. I doubt that the car companys didnt think about that situation when designing the car, but you never know. You could be dead in the water if your batt is dead
Old 03-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yamaha+Toyota=Fun
I'm pretty sure you could still get in the car even if the battery was dead. You still have a key right, just use it like you would on a normal car. I doubt that the car companys didnt think about that situation when designing the car, but you never know. You could be dead in the water if your batt is dead
the one vehicle i was in before that i spoke of earleir did not have an actual key on the little fob, no real key or anywhere on the car to put a key... so basically no way in unless there was some secret place somewhere, but there wasnt an actual key on the fob, all electronic....
Old 03-24-2005, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

My cousin had an old Tercel that was dying and at one point had a button installed under the steering wheel. For some reason they only way he could start the car was by putting the key to "on" and pushing the button.

This new stuff though... I'm sure there's something that protects the car in case someone pushes the button twice, right?
Old 03-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
This new stuff though... I'm sure there's something that protects the car in case someone pushes the button twice, right?
its a lexus, of course its gonna have something to protect it. I mean, if the lexus LS 430 can have a/c vents that automatically sway back and forth to better circulate the air, then im pretty darn sure that they will have something to protect the pushbutton starter thingy

Quick Reply: Lexus Push-Button Start