Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Latest Mods Pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latest Mods Pics

Well, I've been working when I can on adding my own junk to the Runner.
Here are some pics, more on the website in the signature.

Hope you like

James
Old 11-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Looking Great!!! I like the square tube sliders and the bumper!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
holy handgrenades! i like the bumper and you did a great job on the sliders too! it's looking really nice. i need to get a welder now, adding to christmas list
Old 11-12-2007, 10:22 AM

nice job could you give me feedback on the toytec lift?
Old 11-12-2007, 10:26 AM

wow, truck looks good! as soon as you get to gainesville with that thing we need to take it out and use it! i love the bumper!!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:38 AM

dude, one of the best bumpers i've saw on a 3rd gen! very nicely done, and the sliders look great too! how much did all that cost ya, if ya don't mind me asking?
Old 11-12-2007, 10:48 AM

mate nice job of the bumper
Old 11-12-2007, 11:52 AM

Is that a gas or no gas MIG? Flux corded?
Old 11-12-2007, 11:53 AM

Thanks Guys!!

I don't have a REAL metal shop (jsut my garage) so both projects, especially the bumper, were pretty labor-intensive with hand-tools and such.

For the ToyTec question, I haven't installed it yet. It will go on this week (according to UPS website it is now in Kansas somewhere). I will let you know what I think of it after it is on... and probably take a few pics along the way

As for the cost? I can tell you from all the experience I have with metal fabbing, and from talking with friends who have their own shops, the cost of these items really isnt in the metal.. its the damn labor! Total for the metal on the sliders: $30.00. Total for the metal on the bumper: $70.00 (and thats because I had to have the holes for the turn signals cut.. I don't have a plasma cutter at home).

RunnerUp,
The moving van comes NOV 28'th. Should be in Gville by 1'st or 2'nd of DEC. Can't wait to meet ya and the dudes you wheel with. Don't know if you got my PM, but thanks again for the last invite!

Take care all,

James
Old 11-12-2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by TerraRunner
Is that a gas or no gas MIG? Flux corded?
Sorry I missed this one. You were posting while I was writing.
I have Gas capability, but I just mainly use Flux-Cored .035 wire for MIG.

Thanks,

James
Old 11-12-2007, 11:59 AM

Them are some good loking welds me friend. Good job *thumbs up*!
Old 11-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Maj

Wow, nice work. Lotsa angled cuts for all those plates in the bumper. Everything came out very straight - good job! The underside of your rig sure is clean - mine doesn't look that good even after pressure washing...
Old 11-12-2007, 04:36 PM

I like it. The bumper looks good, you should powder coat it and fix that huge gap though!
Old 11-12-2007, 05:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Thats one badass 4runner. lets get a shot of the whole thing. Sliders bumper and roof rack.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:00 PM

how much does that front bumper weight in at ??? Looks great!
Old 11-12-2007, 07:07 PM

Nice bumper! How about some pics of the mounting brackets and supports on that bumper.

Like the square sliders too!
Old 11-12-2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Maj
Wow, nice work. Lotsa angled cuts for all those plates in the bumper. Everything came out very straight - good job! The underside of your rig sure is clean - mine doesn't look that good even after pressure washing...
Thank you Maj! I had to spend a little more time with the angle-grinder and flap-discs than I wanted, but it came out alright. As for the underside, well, I am one of those anal-freaks who lays under his vehicles with rags and cleaners about once every 6 months or so... I cant help myself

OSU4Runner
"I like it. The bumper looks good, you should powder coat it and fix that huge gap though!"

I know, I know... the gap thing (sigh). It's one of those things that I didnt really notice until too much was fabbed up Someday, I'll take it all off and adjust the mounts accordingly, but for now, I'm livin with it. Thanks for the compliments though.

ROOFGOOF
"how much does that front bumper weight in at ??? Looks great!"

Thanks ROOF! I'm not exactly sure to tell you the truth. I used 5/16 and 1/4 plate for mounting and supports, then used 3/16 and some 1/8 for the "skin" with 3/16 angle pieces underneath for strength. Overall, I'd say it was approximately 75 lbs or so. I could heft it up to my waist and carry it around fairly easily. Sorry I cant be more precise.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by r854rnr
Nice bumper! How about some pics of the mounting brackets and supports on that bumper.

Like the square sliders too!
Again, Thank you.
I don't have any good pics of the mounts because that day was a VERY bad day in the garage for 'ol James. I wasnt in the mood for pic taking. Had to cut some metal off that I had welded because it made the bumper mount a little crooked (you could tell from the front).

I can try to explain it for ya though. I used the existing two plates on the front of the frame rails. (wait, don't scold me yet)
I welded all the way around the rails on the back side of the plates (why did Toyota not do this?) Then I added 5/16 pieces of angles to tie-in the plate with the frame rails on all four sides. I also added two 1/4 straps to the top and bottom. The bottom one runs back and ties into where the tow-hooks mount so that the tow-hook bolts go through it also. (I hope I'm explaining this coherently!) At any rate, I wasn't about to mount a winch ONLY to what Toyota provided us.

Hope this will work for ya!

James
Old 11-12-2007, 07:51 PM

Now I'm all thinking about the damn GAP!
Can you guys give me some ideas for filling it or covering it from behind so it isn't so noticeable?

Any input is appreciated!

James
Old 11-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man ya stole my idea for the fairlead cover my bumper should be done soon but the cover is already done hehehe.

As for the gap why not some rubber like the rubber used to cover the body gaps on the rear and front fenders.

Your bumper is pretty cool though and I like you can say without a doubt building it is very labor intensive and cutting wheels are expensive.

I did have a ESAB plasma cutter to help but cutting 1/4 is not that easy with one so it was back to the MATABO cutting wheel hope to have it finished the weekend but I do my building after work at 11 pm so it going a bit slow but looking pretty good if I have to say so myself.

Today I did the end caps and let me tell ya bending 1/4 is a hell of a workout even with heat.

Forgot my camera so did not get any pics but will tomorrow and post them so you all can see where Iam at with it and add your input on what's missing or needs to be changed.

When its done I plan on LINE Xing it for the tuffness and not worry about paint chipping or scuffing.

Quick Reply: Latest Mods Pics