Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Key won't come out, what's this part??

Old 07-23-2008, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key won't come out, what's this part??

Well my key was stuck in my ignition, I could turn the vehicle on and off but I couldn't get it far enough to unlock and release the key. After removing the lower panel and key bezel I unscrewed this box
Name:  IMGP2016.jpg
Views: 9601
Size:  100.4 KB
I then saw that it had a pin that could easily be pushed into the small box so I looked at the ignition cylinder and saw this black dot
Name:  IMGP2017.jpg
Views: 10176
Size:  127.5 KB
I then pushed that in and was able to turn the key to the unlock position and release it. I reinstalled the part (2 screws retain it and it has a plug that attaches on the side of the ignition cylinder and what looks like part of the factory alarm wire crimped on it). Guess what happened when I reinstalled it and put the key in... yep, it got stuck again. I went through the procedure of taking the screws out, pushing the black plunger style dot in and I again was able to release the key.

Does anybody have any clue as to what that part is and if it is the actual culprit of the key being stuck in the ignition cylinder? I'm nearly 100% sure it is the problem but I extremely agitated right now from having to leave it at the grocery and then work on it in the hot, dark night here in NC. Any extra input is greatly appreciate before I hit up the stealership.

Thanks in advance
Jason
Old 07-23-2008, 05:05 PM

This happened to me in my truck and i just wiggled the key a lot, started and stopped the motor, turned the wheel every which way, and kept trying till it finally came loose. So without looking at the lock mechanism I tried a brand new key that I had sitting around and it worked perfectly and I haven't had an issue since.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:10 PM

That worked to get my wife's key out which was an old original one. I then put my brand new one in and it was fine, until tonight! I wiggled, turned, tried everything and then resorted to the above to finally get it out. I'm thinking that box has something to do with my issue. Also, I can't use the remote anymore for some reason. When I would turn the ignition on and off several times the alarm button would come on and beep. I think that's part of the reprogramming of the remote or something. Anyway, I'm hoping to figure this out so I can drive it and park it safely without having to leave the key in it.
Jason

Originally Posted by John LTD
This happened to me in my truck and i just wiggled the key a lot, started and stopped the motor, turned the wheel every which way, and kept trying till it finally came loose. So without looking at the lock mechanism I tried a brand new key that I had sitting around and it worked perfectly and I haven't had an issue since.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:50 PM

The same problem happenned to me few months back and all I did was detach the little sorenoid (I think this is what it is called) and move it aside while keeping the wire connection intact.

That solve the problem and only downside is the the engine can be switched off the without the tranny shifter moving to "P" position.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:23 AM

its the Key Interlock Solenoid which is controlled by the Shift lock ECU located just above the shifter.

Name:  shift-lock.jpg
Views: 13709
Size:  48.9 KB

Last edited by iceman601; 07-24-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:31 AM

Thanks, I was thinking that was the issue. I'll have to find a JY with a part to test fit now.
Jason

[QUOTE=iceman601;50882235]its the Key Interlock Solenoid which is controlled by the Shift lock ECU located just above the shifter.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:03 AM

Well I'm confused with this. I let the 4Runner sit for a day and then came back to it this morning. I left the solenoid off to the side and the bottom trim panel off for easy access if needed. I was able to use the key fob remote and the key didn't get stuck, WTF?? I'm just going to leave it off to the side for a while and see what happens. Toyota of Dallas, Gerone Scott to be specific, was a great help. He sent me some diagrams of the plugs on the solenoids for the floor shift autos and how to check resistance. I'm not versed in that so I can't begin to read it but he was a super nice guy to deal with.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:18 AM

96 4runner limited key stuck and fixed

Originally Posted by klwood
The same problem happenned to me few months back and all I did was detach the little sorenoid (I think this is what it is called) and move it aside while keeping the wire connection intact.

That solve the problem and only downside is the the engine can be switched off the without the tranny shifter moving to "P" position.
**Did the same (detached solenoid, moved to the side) leaving everything else untouched and it worked.... might not be best thing to do but solved my problem. I checked everything from shifter to key cylinder. ***