Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Keep throwing axle bearing....help!?!?! PICS

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep throwing axle bearing....help!?!?! PICS

Hi fellow yotanuts... here's the short of it....

Bought a 2000 4runner 4x4 cheap b/c the driver side rear wheel bearing was making noise and going out. (don't ya love a post that starts like that!)

I immediatly replaced it, new bearing, new seals, oil etc. It made it one year and the seal started leaking, replaced it. Now less than a year later the bearing has lots of play, and the seal is leaking.

I noticed that the axle tube looks like it might have got hot, could this thing have got too hot when driven by the P.O. and warped the tube therefore making itthow bearings etc? Over heated the axle shaft and ruined it? Any other thoughts? See pic for heat discoloration.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Keep throwing axle bearing....help!?!?! PICS-img_9859-medium-.jpg   Keep throwing axle bearing....help!?!?! PICS-img_9858-medium-.jpg  
Old 08-29-2009, 04:36 PM

Check the runout.You may be the proud owner of a bent axle shaft.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check the alignment, your housing may be bent.

rear alignment should be zero camber, zero toe
Old 08-30-2009, 05:02 AM

Here's some more info I've learned about my situation.
The bearing is loose in the Axle Bearing Carrier, ie carrier is worn out. You can see the bearing sliding in the bearing carrier, (sorry no pix).

Ever wonder why you hear of so many '00-'01 4runners having leaking axle seals??????

I have learned from Toyota that there were issues with 2000 and some 01 4runners. They basicly made the axle's poorly! They warrantied this in the first 3/36k miles, after that your stuck with having to buy new axle shafts, bearings, seals and bearing carriers....about $1k in parts. This is what they call the upgraded rear axle. It basicly is a slightly larger axle shaft where the seal and bearing live.

(((WHY NO RECALL????)))

This is my 4th Toyota, they have all been awesome, this 4runner is P.O.S! I regret the day I bought it!

So for me, I'll be replacing the bearing carrier, bearing and seals, and rolling until something starts leaking again, then replace that seal... etc....etc....

Oh yeah, in the mean time I'll also be trying to figure out why I have so much slack in the rear diff, replace the ac servo motor, repair the stuck sun roof...blah blah..blah....

Ok. so I have to end on a positive note......The engine runs great at 178k miles!
Old 08-30-2009, 05:34 AM

Seems cheaper and easier to buy a complete used axle and just swap it in.

It definitely sounds like a bent axle tube to me that the bearing eventually took out the inner race. Replace the whole damn thing with a good housing and be done with it. Throwing money at the housing you have will cost a lot more and won't fix the problem.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:52 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyC
Seems cheaper and easier to buy a complete used axle and just swap it in.

It definitely sounds like a bent axle tube to me that the bearing eventually took out the inner race. Replace the whole damn thing with a good housing and be done with it. Throwing money at the housing you have will cost a lot more and won't fix the problem.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:14 AM

I know, I know... but I havn't been able to find an 02 4runner axle used (w abs etc). 00-01 are the same as what I've got unless I can verify they were upgraded, thats PIA. I'll keep looking but I need to get the 4runner back on the road as soon as possible and for pretty much as cheap as possible. I'm thinking I'm gonna drive it another year or so and trade it. This particular car must have been made on monday...

Another thing too, this car hasn't been wrecked or wheeled at all, I don't know how the axle could have got bent. Again, I've veryified from Toyota that these 4runner had issues from the factory, with the same symptoms that mine is having. I saw in the service records that this car had the passenger side bearing & seals replaced at around 123k miles. I had the drivers side bearing and seal done 2 years ago at 40k, the seal again last year 160k and now doing the case, seals, and bearing at 175k.

Anyone got an 02 runner axle with abs for sale?

Last edited by J-Ball; 08-30-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:19 PM

I have found it easier to find these axles easier to find these axles than mine!!
non abs the tricky part is the gear ratio!! $500 or so for the whole thing around here with no lockers I am in san diego at the moment by the way and may be headed to houston in a week or so!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:52 AM

bump-located this thread via search "rear axle bearings" on this sub forum.

This seems like a common problem. My 99 needs passenger side rear bearing and I'd like to hear more discussion on diagnosing the axle as well.

Specifically are there new improved axle part numbers we can share with all the members here? Why would just 00-01 Runners have a bad axle if the same design/part number was used from 96-on?

'Runout' is measurable I gather and is there something from J-Ball's photos that is blatantly obvious to you guys who know what you are talking about?

thank you.

Last edited by Ron Helmuth; 04-03-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
bump-located this thread via search "rear axle bearings" on this sub forum.

Specifically are there new improved axle part numbers we can share with all the members here? Why would just 00-01 Runners have a bad axle if the same design/part number was used from 96-on?

thank you.
Noob here. 1st post. Found this searching axle bearings.

There's definately some different parts out there.

My 01 Tacoma was in an accident where a car pulled out in front of me and the left rear wheel took the brunt of the impact. The axle housing was replaced but they seem to have missed the runout on the axle face. 8 yrs and 57000 miles later the tweaked axle shaft took out the bearing.

I ordered new shaft and bearing "kit" and you guessed it, different parts. I specifically stated 01 Taco, 4x4, e locker, no ABS. The shaft is a smaller diameter at the outer seal area by 6mm. 48 vs 54mm. also the mating surface is different between the bearing and axle having a more squared off shoulder instead of the rounded one of the stock axle. As luck would have it the bearing "kit" is compatible with the axle but the outer seal will not fit the stock bearing carrier. Now I either need a whole new pile of parts or a different carrier.

And if you didnt already know the Non ABS used an ABS axle without the pick up sensor. The trigger ring is still there but there is a cap over the sensor port on the axle housing.

It's been a month researching parts and still getting the wrong stuff. I'm about ready to buy a new truck. Anyone want a super clean 1 owner D Cab Taco w/TRD supercharger/hdrs/exh/topper/Ivan Stewart wheels/67K mi?

Seriously, i may have the full set up for cheap if somebody needs these parts. I cant use them.
Old 12-16-2023, 12:45 PM

reboot throwing axle bearing thread

this thread seems to deal with the year range and type of problem i'm wondering about. i had the axle simply walk out of the housing vs the bearing actually melting down. can't figure if it is the press of the bearing races or the c-ring that is really supposed to hold it in.

I don't believe there was any damage to the axle housing, although i'm a later owner of 2003 tacoma with 225,000 miles so I can't be sure.

I got a new used shaft. i'm not sure what to measure runout against. but I can see that, now that new bearing is in place and i'm putting it back together the backing plate is a little out of true with the flange on the end of the axle housing. until i get it bolted down I don't think I can really test the run out. It might be that this small gap (seen in the picture below) is within tolerances and I should just tighten the bolts to mate the housing and backing plate or whether that would put a little more angular tension on the bearing than it is intended to see . wondering if this kind of inconsistency is within the general margin of error and I shouldn't worry about it, although once bolted together i'll ck. the runout. what range would be anticipated. thanks

Old 12-18-2023, 06:37 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
The outer race of the bearing will slip in the axle cup/backing plate, they are not a super tight fit, snugging it evenly will close the gap usually, or remove and bump axle and bearing cup to adjust bearing depth in axle cup/backing plate and try again, The best way to check run out is to roll the removed axle shaft on a flat surface and look for a wobble. if the axle came out of the axle tube to far it can bend the axle housing and then the axle cup with bearing won't fit in the bent tube, only seen this once, axle came out completely at 100km, required new axle housing, ect.. 2000-2004 have a different axle and bearing than 96-99
Old 12-19-2023, 03:56 AM

@Malcolm99 thanks for reply. I can definitely make up the fit by evenly tightening bolts. does it help the bearing race to seek best placement to maybe tap outside end of axle with 3 lb. sledge during tightening? i I would imagine in violent failure that bending of axle and housing is possible although I was lucky not to actually loose the axle and wheel and the whole thing was ironic slow motion. i'm kind of thinking if the axle levered on the housing it might have bent up as much as back. I guess I can do rudimentary measured alignment check with tire on as small deviation at axle would be accentuated at the diameter of the tire. the axle itself checks for little run out as in place at the moment. but i'm going to pull it out so i'll try flat surface test as additional check.

I also read in a good thread on tacoma world that the seal design has changed a little over time and you need to check that the seal is riding more or less on the center of the spacer or you need to go back to the press and move the spacer a little. this design sure does not seem like the most practical to service. I really appreciate your response and that of others. I do have a couple threads going as I didn't get much initial response and was looking for similar threads. trying to reply and leave useful information on each one for those who come after.

brian