Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Just totalled my baby :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm surprised the SRS did'nt blow up in your puss...
def. looks like it has bit the biscuit... hope the gov't ins. takes care of you... and they throw the book at the other driver... how bad did he get it?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SAS is what im thinking too fender grill and headlight and aftermarket bumper would make that a righteous trail rig . ..sorry about the whole thing though what a bummer !!
Old 03-03-2012, 10:12 AM

Most importantly, how are you feeling? Are you in any type of physical pain? I had an experience like this but i learned yota's can be fixed or bought. Your well being cannot, and is priority #1 at the moment. Hang in there, everything will turn out ok.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:43 AM

Man that sux! I hope first and foremost that your ok. As for your yota, it looks like some modifications are in order. If it's declared totaled you cna usually get some cash from insurance to replace it and then you can buy that one back super cheap with a salvage title and build it into a trail rig like someone suggested. SAS and whatever else you can throw in there to take it from daily driver to trail destroyer!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:06 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
ugh. worst. thread. ever. i hope to never join the ranks.

as others have said, your body is most important. some symptoms don't show up for a week or more after the accident, so pay close attention to your body and 'little pains here and there'!

good luck with the following procedure, and let us know what comes of the truck! we want to see some pics when it's lifted and SAS'd!
Old 03-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Sorry to read this. Hope you are fine.

Andreas
Old 03-06-2012, 05:17 AM

Thank for the replys guys....an idiot in a mini van just pulled out in front of me..he's 100% at fault and I have a witness. But i'm so mad/sad.....I put so much work into that truck and I won't get anything back. It was pretty crazy though my truck actually drove over the hood like monster truck style...went up on two wheels and came crashing down...if I had an aftermarket bumper i'd still be driving my truck...I can't even replace it...there's nothing thats even similar to what I had...I really don't know what to do...might just upgrade the Rocky Mountain and bike...i'm too picky to settle for anything other then Toyota and there out of my price range.....totally lost
Old 03-06-2012, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by 82shorty
I think it looks worse then it is. As said above it would be the best time to sas it. most of front suspension and body has to come off now anyway. cut it all out weld in a hanger drill 2 holes hang some springs and an axle probably make a bit selling what good parts are left. might be cheaper then expected and your gonna have to buy parts any way either for the ifs or sas parts. gotta think positive or we would all throw our toyotas away after a bit of damage happened. hope to read your sas forum soon!!!!
I wish I was mechanically inclined to do man..I really wish I was....but I dont have tools...a garage or know-how....should of stayed in mechanics...cause at times like this...i am at a loss...
Old 03-06-2012, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay204
Thank for the replys guys....an idiot in a mini van just pulled out in front of me..he's 100% at fault and I have a witness. But i'm so mad/sad.....I put so much work into that truck and I won't get anything back. It was pretty crazy though my truck actually drove over the hood like monster truck style...went up on two wheels and came crashing down...if I had an aftermarket bumper i'd still be driving my truck...I can't even replace it...there's nothing thats even similar to what I had...I really don't know what to do...might just upgrade the Rocky Mountain and bike...i'm too picky to settle for anything other then Toyota and there out of my price range.....totally lost
Jay,
As long as the other driver's insurance makes you whole, start searching for a replacement 3rd Gen now. Sure, it may not be the same color, options, etc., but you'll know how to recreate the one you had.

I've owned my 4Runner since new, and have a ton of work, maintenance, and love into it at this point. Sure, it has a few dents and such, but I know it inside out. My wife has asked me what I'd do if the truck was suddenly totaled. In all honesty, I'd scour the Southwest for a low-mileage, one-owner 3rd Gen and start over. I never warmed up to the 4th Gen model, and despise what Toyota did with the 5th Gen. It actually turns me off.

We have nicer cars in the garage than the 4Runner, but I will drive this stupid thing until something catastrophic happens to it. If the engine throws a rod tomorrow, I'll replace the engine...

Good luck.

Andreas
Old 03-06-2012, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by aowRS
Jay,
As long as the other driver's insurance makes you whole, start searching for a replacement 3rd Gen now. Sure, it may not be the same color, options, etc., but you'll know how to recreate the one you had.

I've owned my 4Runner since new, and have a ton of work, maintenance, and love into it at this point. Sure, it has a few dents and such, but I know it inside out. My wife has asked me what I'd do if the truck was suddenly totaled. In all honesty, I'd scour the Southwest for a low-mileage, one-owner 3rd Gen and start over. I never warmed up to the 4th Gen model, and despise what Toyota did with the 5th Gen. It actually turns me off.

We have nicer cars in the garage than the 4Runner, but I will drive this stupid thing until something catastrophic happens to it. If the engine throws a rod tomorrow, I'll replace the engine...

Good luck.

Andreas

I actually work for the Insurance Corporation that insures vehicles where I live...and they don't have the best Reputation....and they seem to use extreme Scrutiny when dealing with employee claims. I dont even know where to search for another 4Runner..other then kijiji and the autotrader.ca I have found 1 that i'm interested in...but the person doesnt want to accept a deposit while I wait for my insurance to go through....the 4Runner was estimated as an Obvious Total Loss....I even let her know I work for the insurance company and I am trying to get it settled fast...but even that didnt yield a response....
Old 03-06-2012, 11:20 AM

Got the estimate done....10G $$ damage...they even did a detailed estimate...but Toyota parts are so expensive...its been written off
Old 03-06-2012, 12:13 PM

hang in there buddy.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:56 PM

That sucks, I hate having to deal with MPI, and I don't even work for them.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wanna hear about canadian insurance... I was t boned about 2 months ago... since then i have called 3 times, every time was told i would get a call back that day...

so the accident isnt too major cause the guy went under my truck when he hit me .. Im driving it when i need to but i also have another car (samurai softtop) .. then said they need to wait for the police report to see for sure it wasnt my fault,which was about 3 weeks ago they told me that..

when i took it to "there shop" after it happened they sprang the whole you have to pay a deductable on me which they first told me they would waive since it wasnt my fault cause the guy was charged with 2 offence... then the rental shows up and its a small ass kia in the middle of winter and i have 2 4x4 trucks insured..

So now im a little mad,so I say you know what im not paying, it wasnt my fault, my truck is driving just has a messed up door and rocker and fender flair. and i take my truck home

so now its been like almost 2 months and no call.. like dont they want pictures of my car??? i have had it insured for what i paid because its a jdm, and i paid alot for a 1991, I really love my truck... ive had it 5 years and done alot of work,re sealed the injection pump, did all the timing and water pump and it has the upgraded head on the diesel motor with 160 000 km runs so nice ..
I know they are not going to be able to find the fender flare and one of the rims is bent a bit...

its just stupid..that they can work on these time lines after i pay so much cash every month...
Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by bigt
wanna hear about canadian insurance... I was t boned about 2 months ago... since then i have called 3 times, every time was told i would get a call back that day...

so the accident isnt too major cause the guy went under my truck when he hit me .. Im driving it when i need to but i also have another car (samurai softtop) .. then said they need to wait for the police report to see for sure it wasnt my fault,which was about 3 weeks ago they told me that..

when i took it to "there shop" after it happened they sprang the whole you have to pay a deductable on me which they first told me they would waive since it wasnt my fault cause the guy was charged with 2 offence... then the rental shows up and its a small ass kia in the middle of winter and i have 2 4x4 trucks insured..

So now im a little mad,so I say you know what im not paying, it wasnt my fault, my truck is driving just has a messed up door and rocker and fender flair. and i take my truck home

so now its been like almost 2 months and no call.. like dont they want pictures of my car??? i have had it insured for what i paid because its a jdm, and i paid alot for a 1991, I really love my truck... ive had it 5 years and done alot of work,re sealed the injection pump, did all the timing and water pump and it has the upgraded head on the diesel motor with 160 000 km runs so nice ..
I know they are not going to be able to find the fender flare and one of the rims is bent a bit...

its just stupid..that they can work on these time lines after i pay so much cash every month...
That's not a problem with "Canadian insurance", it's a problem with the other driver's insurance company. Where is your insurance company in all this, they should be making sure you're looked after...or did you not get collision coverage?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by aowRS
Jay,

Good luck.

Andreas
+1

My wife has the 2012 Highlander and it will be our primary ride.

I have owned my 2001 since it had 11 miles on it and I have not one ONE (knock on wood) problem with it whatsoever. It now has 180K and its still running strong. I just replaced all my suspension components and it rides like new again.

Im hoping to get another 100k out of it.. I do wish I had my wifes 270 HP V6 in it though. Dam highlander lol
Old 03-06-2012, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by bigt

In Manitoba - Saskatchewan & British Columbia - you don't have that problem as the insurance corporation is provincially ran by the government...1 insurer...1 adjuster for the same multi-car accident(s). It has its definite benefits...but also has its drawbacks. But i;ve heard nothing but BAD things about private insurance...yours is just another to add to the list. I'll let you know how I make out...my company pays out very well on Toyota...or so I hear. Next debate is retaining salvage...
Old 03-06-2012, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jay204
In Manitoba - Saskatchewan & British Columbia - you don't have that problem as the insurance corporation is provincially ran by the government...1 insurer...1 adjuster for the same multi-car accident(s). It has its definite benefits...but also has its drawbacks. But i;ve heard nothing but BAD things about private insurance...yours is just another to add to the list. I'll let you know how I make out...my company pays out very well on Toyota...or so I hear. Next debate is retaining salvage...
Private insurance is not the problem, there's just crappy companies and good companies. MPI is a crappy company, and it's our only choice. I'd rather have the choice and find a good company.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by IanB
Private insurance is not the problem, there's just crappy companies and good companies. MPI is a crappy company, and it's our only choice. I'd rather have the choice and find a good company.
Private insurance is a hassle....you have to register your vehicle different if its lifted..mention modifications if any are done that may void the insurance....my friend is paying double in Alberta for the the same year trucks as mine. I'll take MPI anyday. In the USA the private industry tends to work better then up here.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine is all state

they dont insure right hand drive anymore but i am grndfathered in..

im not letting go of my yota period

ill put this engine in my samurai or drive with a dented door before i give up my baby

keep me updated and i will keep you updated on our insurance misadventures

of course i had collision.. and i was t boned and the other driver charged with 2 offensese..

Last edited by bigt; 03-08-2012 at 03:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Just totalled my baby :(