Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Just found a 90 SR5 4 runner and I need some opinions...thanx!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just found a 90 SR5 4 runner and I need some opinions...thanx!

Well here are the details on the truck;

- 1990 SR5 (4WD)
- 165k miles on the V6
- recently had a valve job (i'm curious if anyone knows a good reason why this could have been done other than the owner wanting peak performance)
- CD player (i'm guessing this was installed after purchasing the vehicle, i don't know if they had them stock, that would be nice if someone could tell me if they came w/CD players that year)
- always garaged
- body is straight
- body color; white (i've heard that insurance can be based on the paint color, and a friend of mine said that he knows a guy that had his go up when he went from white to black paint, is that always true??)

The asking price is $3,500.... what do you guys think??

This will be my first truck, and my dad is definatly considering it, but i told him i'd get as much info on it as i could before we go check it out. I believe he's pretty serious about it because it's a long drive and he still wants to look at it, and he said if it's a good deal we might as well buy it now....

Any opinions, thoughts, warnings....anything... is greatly appriciated...thank you!

Last edited by Figit090; 06-20-2004 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:30 PM

ttt? just thought i'd give it a little help in getting seen...
Old 06-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

4WD?

Define "valve job" for me. You need to find out why, when, and who did the work.

Does the seller have all receipts?
Old 06-20-2004, 01:03 PM

Don't know much about 4Runner valuations, but as for the valve job my guess is it just needed to be done. Valves drift out of adjustment over time and need to be adjusted every so often. I'm taking my truck in next week to have it done.

$3500 seems a bit steep for a 14 yr old truck w/165k on it; def. check Blue Book values and make sure he's not asking for a dealer's price on it (or is it being sold by a dealer?). Most vehicles owned by consumers are not worth the "excellent" valuation.

I don't think paint color has anything to do with insurance...mostly they insure the driver, not the vehicle.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

If the truck is as nice as you make it sound then it sounds like a pretty good deal. Check to see if the head gasket was done of course. And if you are looking to knock a few bucks off here and there you can mention the popping noise at full lock (if he hasn't greased the steering stops) and the rear end sag (if he hasn't fixed it). Good luck.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:22 PM

That sounds like a pretty fair price to me. If your insurance co. is going to charge you more for color, my advice is to switch insurance companies. That's just stupid.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:40 PM

Thanx for all of the replies so far.

As for the valve job, I don't know why or when it was done, but I'll ask my dad to give him a call and answer some specific questions on the truck including that.

My dad says that we have to check on insurance costs and other things that have to do w/money and the 4runner before we call him though... hopefully that happens soon.

I already checked the bluebook values with various options and used good and excellent body conditions, and the values all came out over 3500 i think, one might have been 100 bux less...but his price seems about right...the highest was 3900 with options that i figured it woud have but might not, like power accesories...

i'm kinda confused at what my dad wants to do w/this offer right now...

the guy is a salesman, and the funny part of it was he found my dad first, talked to him and then he happend to come across me the same day...we were at a big community garage sale day where this whole section of our town has a garage sale on the same day, each house just sets up if they want to participate...

so my family was in different parts of the area, but far walking distance, and this guy sees that my dad is looking at a car for sale, and talked to him about what cars for me, and my dad got the 4 runner info and the guy's card.... then later on I'm talking to my bud that I was walking with about a 82 toyota pickup that's been for sale and how it won't sell cause it's got bad paint rust and it is also $3500, and up comes this older man that asks me questions about what i'm interested in and if i'd be interested in a 4 runner, and of course i was really stunned, then he asks about my dad and describes him..it was really weird how it worked out.....

I have another question about the head gasket recall...what do i need to know about that? i'd like to know what the recall covers and what i have to do to get it done...
Old 06-20-2004, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by ChickenLover
That sounds like a pretty fair price to me. If your insurance co. is going to charge you more for color, my advice is to switch insurance companies. That's just stupid.

white would be less dangerous than a darker color...like black... so it does kinda make sense... there would be a higher risk at night w/a black truck - you can't see it's outline as well... but w/e.... and i don't know if our insurance does that, i've just heard of it...
Old 06-20-2004, 03:46 PM

yes its 4wd..sry forgot that
Old 06-20-2004, 07:44 PM

but yeah, the head gaskets....any pages i can look at or info on that??
Old 06-20-2004, 08:33 PM

Auto or 5sp? The auto is gutless, the 5sp sounds like a good tranny.
I would guess the valves were done as the result of or coincident to a bad headgasket. You can't really redo the heads without having them off unless their idea of a valve job is just putting in new valve seals.
Either way, if the valve job was the full monty version the headgaskets have been replaced and should be a non-issue now although there are the occasions when the new headgaskets don't take a seat. The bolt version of redoing the head sounds like it has a mystery torque method bordering on voodoo-mechanics. Most likely, it won't be an issue. Make sure and ask while inquiring about the valve job if the heads came off and, if so, were the head bolts reused. Opinions vary, but the more I read, they should NOT be reused. I do not know for sure if they are the same sort of torque to yield that are used on the 22re, but I have come across a number of posts on various boards about people reusing the bolts and having problems later.
$3500 seems like a relatively decent price for a 5sp. If it's the auto you could probably pick it up lower. Nobody is beating down the door looking for a 14yr old 3.0/automatic combination 4Runner.
Lastly, seriously consider taking it to a shop and having it professionally looked at. Sometimes a $50-100 check can save you a whole lot of grief.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:49 PM

ok thanx, it is the 5 speed...thank god...i wouldn't buy an auto...even in a truck. I haven't even driven one and i know it would make it boring... I would definatly like the feel of control of the clutch and gears...in an auto you don't know what it's going to do...especially up hills and it would just make it boring unless you just like to cruise around town all day....

I don't know that much about it yet, we haven't called the guy cause we need to look at insurance issues to see if this truck will work, but more of now than in the long run, my dad won't get a truck that isn't practical for my first...

oh, and what's the full monty version.... i don't know much about repairs yet

could it be they were done with the head recall and he just didn't meantion the heads so buyers unaware of the recall wouldn't get discouraged?

Last edited by Figit090; 06-20-2004 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:18 PM
Rugby10

I ran this at NADA.com, as Banks use NADA for the valuation of Vehicles. Blue Book is rarely used anymore.

1990 Toyota 4Runner 4WD
Wagon 4D SR5
165,000 miles

Low Retail Average Retail High Retail
Base Price $3,400 $4,450 $5,300

Mileage Adjustment
165,000 miles add: $0 $0 $0

Total Price $3,400 $4,450 $5,300
Average Retail Price represents a clean vehicle in good condition and is assumed to have a Clean Title History. Looking to purchase a new car? Get a free quote from a dealer near you. Obtain used car financing rates as low as 4.45% APR. Selling your vehicle? Print a checklist and the required DMV Title & Registration forms to complete your sale. Sell your car through AutoTrader.com, and get the most money for your vehicle.
Other Vehicle Information
NADA Recommended Mileage Range: 117,000 - 120,000
Model Number: N37W
Weight: 3760
Old 06-21-2004, 05:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rugby10
I ran this at NADA.com, as Banks use NADA for the valuation of Vehicles. Blue Book is rarely used anymore.

1990 Toyota 4Runner 4WD
Wagon 4D SR5
165,000 miles

Base Price $3,400 $4,450 $5,300

Mileage Adjustment
165,000 miles add: $0 $0 $0

Total Price $3,400 $4,450 $5,300
Average Retail Price represents a clean vehicle in good condition and is assumed to have a Clean Title History. Looking to purchase a new car? Get a free quote from a dealer near you. Obtain used car financing rates as low as 4.45% APR. Selling your vehicle? Print a checklist and the required DMV Title & Registration forms to complete your sale. Sell your car through AutoTrader.com, and get the most money for your vehicle.
Other Vehicle Information
NADA Recommended Mileage Range: 117,000 - 120,000
Model Number: N37W
Weight: 3760
I was shocked when I looked at mine there concidering I only wanted about $4000 for it:

1993 Toyota 4Runner 4WD
Wagon 4D SR5
246,100 miles

Base Price $4,775 $6,000 $6,875

Mileage Adjustment
246,100 miles subtract: ($500) ($500) ($500)

Total Price $4,275 $5,500 $6,375

And yes mine has a clean title on it.

Last edited by 934rnr; 06-21-2004 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:25 PM

wow...so that is a pretty resonable price then huh... and it might be even lower with negotiation...

My dad dosen't seem to want to even look at it anymore, we checked insurance and he keeps saying it will cost too much and we shouldn't get another loan until we pay off my mom's van... so i'm really bummed....i thought he was going to look at it, and i think the salesman even told me that my dad said he would check it out... hopefully he'll reconsider but i can't tell.... thanx for all the help!! This will really help down the line.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:44 AM

WELL GUESS WHAT!! now it's in my local paper i think, same area code i belive, and same description;

"1990 Toyota 4runner - 4x4,V6,5sp,SR5 package,clean & straight,well maintained w/records $3000. Call......."

what do you guys think about it now with the lower price??
Old 08-25-2004, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

My first reaction is: Why didn't it sell for such a stellar price the first time?
Old 08-25-2004, 12:05 PM

Well the guy lives in a rather remote place, and it dosen't seem like there'd be many buyers there, and i don't even know if he had it advertised when he came upon me and my dad....all very good things to ask him huh? lol...
Old 08-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bet the reason the valves were done is because it blew a headgasket. So they removed the valve gear, cleaned up the head, and ground the valves. I'm very leery of other's headgasket jobs because I've heard of so many failing. If I had to do a headgasket, I'd replace the studs...And most rebuilders don't know about the headgasket problems like we do here on YotaTech....and as a result probably don't replace the studs.

The engine might run a week...or several years. I'd say it's a risk on this one. If you want a 2nd gen, I'd encourage you to look for a 1995. By that time, most of the problems with headgaskets were worked out.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by gwhayduke
I bet the reason the valves were done is because it blew a headgasket. So they removed the valve gear, cleaned up the head, and ground the valves. I'm very leery of other's headgasket jobs because I've heard of so many failing. If I had to do a headgasket, I'd replace the studs...And most rebuilders don't know about the headgasket problems like we do here on YotaTech....and as a result probably don't replace the studs.

The engine might run a week...or several years. I'd say it's a risk on this one. If you want a 2nd gen, I'd encourage you to look for a 1995. By that time, most of the problems with headgaskets were worked out.

allright, i'll sapp this one up. thanx man. i'm beginning to think i like trucks better now...cause the newer i go the less i like the runner...especially when they threw the tire under the chassis in 95 didn't they?? wouldn't that raise the floorboards and reduse clearance?

Quick Reply: Just found a 90 SR5 4 runner and I need some opinions...thanx!