Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

jam nut size on 3rd gen outer tie-rod?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jam nut size on 3rd gen outer tie-rod?

this information might be out there somewhere, but I can't seem to find it... Does anyone know the size of the jam nut (what size wrench im goign to need) on the outer tie-rod? I'm talking about the jam nut that holds the shaft to the inner tie-rod. I used a 1" opened end wrench and it was not big enough. I heard somewhere it was 19mm but its definately bigger than that. Vehicle is a 1997 4Runner. Sr5 4x4 v6

Any info would be appreciated!
Old 08-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Not sure of the size, but 27mm and 30mm would be the next two common sizes over 1". If you have a Crescent wrench, try that or at least get the size and measure it to be sure.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:51 PM

thanks alot, im just going to go pick up a crescent wrench. I'm goign to try using a pair of vice grips to hold the inner nut and then turn the outer nu with a crescent wrench
Old 08-22-2005, 07:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00944668000

Old 08-23-2005, 04:45 PM

i picked up some crescent wrenches and i still can't get the jam nut off... it's really tough... are you supposed to turn the outer nut to the left and the inner nut to the right? did anyone else have alot of difficulty getting them off?

I've got the wheel off and 1 jack stand holding up the side at the crossmember where the tranny/transfer case is. I'm trying to remove the nut by pushing the outer nut downward and the inner nut to the right... anyone have a better technique?

Last edited by BornChaos; 08-23-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Tie rod ends usually are set up with one left and one right hand thread to allow for easier adjustment. Usually you need to look closely at the threads to see which direction you need to turn them. On my truck (custom steering, solid front axle) I put all the lef thand threads on the left hand side of the truck and the right hand threads on the right.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:44 PM

im not sure how to tell which direction i need to turn them by looking at the threads... man this is holding me up.. could you point me to a link where i can learn how to determine which direction i need to turn the nut by looking at the threads? ... roger do you know if I need a special tool to remove the inner tie-rod from the rack? ive heard i might, but napa,kragen and another local auto parts store have never heard of one.

wasnt this supposed to be an easy repair? damn...
Old 08-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Easy, look at the threads, if they go like this:

\\\\\\\\NUT then turn the nut counterclockwise (right hand thread)

////////NUT then turn the nut clockwise (left hand thread)
Old 08-24-2005, 06:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You don't need to jack the truck to loosen the jam nut, just to change any of the parts. What you actually need to do is put one wrench on the outer tie rod end near the knuckle. You'll notice it is actually square right there. So put a wrench on that to keep it from turning and binding itself up - I use a wrench that is just the right length to brace in or on the steering knuckle. If you can jam the wrench in somewhere, that will leave two hands free to loosen the jam nut. Wish I could post a picture... maybe i'll do that tomorrow. Anyway, on the left side of the truck you want to turn the jam nut counterclockwise (looking from the wheel side). I can't recall if the right side of the truck has the same threads or not. Anyway, after you break the jam nut loose, take the wrench off the outer tie rod and use it to hold the inner tie rod on the wrench boss right next to the jam nut.

I just changed the left boot on mine, and checked out the inner tie rod end. It doesn't appear that you'll need a special tool. I didn't actually remove the inner tie rod end, but there is a lock washer on there and it is actually bent over to keep the tie rod from coming loose from the rack. After you bend the washer up straight, you'll just need two large wrenches (once again) to remove the inner tie rod end. When you put it together, you'll just have to mash down the lock washer after it's tight.

Before you take anything apart, be sure to measure the outer tie rod length so you can line it up pretty close when you put it back together. If you aren't actually changing the outer tie rod, just mark across the inner tie rod wrench boss - the jam nut - and the outer tie rod shaft. One line for all, then you can line it all up. Very simple, and will save some headache and possibly the need for an alignment.

Last edited by toy_tek; 08-24-2005 at 06:16 PM.