Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

It's christmas...S/C

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's christmas...S/C

Super Charge, not Santa Clause.
Well i'm looking for something to make my 4runner more enjoyable to drive(more power). I'm not looking for smokin high performance. Just a bit more life out of her would be nice. I've got 154k miles on it.
This thread is really here because looking for someone to tell me "That's too many miles, you'll blow the engine." so I can change my mind and get the dodge diesel. But for now I'd rather s/c and keep the yota for a few more years and 3 grand is alot cheaper than 38 grand. Any advice anyone?

Last edited by MARSHALLMAY; 11-30-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:40 PM

That's too many miles, you'll blow the engine.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:42 PM

any advice from someone other than this dude.^

Last edited by MARSHALLMAY; 11-30-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Banned

Toyotas last a long time. The mileage is somewhat irrelevant. if you take care of it it could be in excellent condition still. if someone doesnt take care of there car then that mileage would be equivelant to over 200k miles, if they take care of it, then it is likely to withstand the boost. However, If you are unsure, you can buy my Engine and Supercharger on eBay that has only 84k miles on it. I only want $3000 for it complete with everything. I will guarantee the mileage in any way possible. It is still in the vehicle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...191050852&rd=1
Old 11-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Banned

PS you could sell your old engine for at least $800 to make up for some of that cost. Really is a no brainer compared to buying a new charger.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Banned

I dont know what happened but my first post was deleted. Anyway, I gave good information on it, so the moderator who deleted it for no reason, decided to take some information from you.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by MARSHALLMAY

any advice from someone other than this dude.^
haha. sorry. i just had too.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:17 PM

I put mine on at 163k miles and just broke 171k with no problems. I did perform all recommended maintenance beforehand, and my motor is running better than ever. TRD supercharger, URD fuel mods, maybe a clutch, or if you have an autotrans, mods to handle that power. If the motor is healthy and you've taken care of it, you shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure to do a compression test and leak down if necessary (compression numbers aren't up to spec) before you commit. If you do commit to it, it will be *critical* that you run it right, and don't run lean or ping/detonate...then you will destroy your motor.

IMHO it was well worth the investment. The power increase will turn your 3.4L into a whole different beast. Down the road, I'd rather buy a new motor than buy another vehicle.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Banned

check your PM, I pretty much stated what ciscojay said, with a few more tips.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by ciscojay
I put mine on at 163k miles and just broke 171k with no problems. I did perform all recommended maintenance beforehand, and my motor is running better than ever. TRD supercharger, URD fuel mods, maybe a clutch, or if you have an autotrans, mods to handle that power. If the motor is healthy and you've taken care of it, you shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure to do a compression test and leak down if necessary (compression numbers aren't up to spec) before you commit. If you do commit to it, it will be *critical* that you run it right, and don't run lean or ping/detonate...then you will destroy your motor.

IMHO it was well worth the investment. The power increase will turn your 3.4L into a whole different beast. Down the road, I'd rather buy a new motor than buy another vehicle.
I'm guessing that eliminating any ping and keeping the a/f mixture correct is what the urd tuner is all about. I'm not looking to get all gear head with this thing, just want a boost. I'm tired of down shifting on every small hill, not interested in beating the 4runner next to me to the next red light. I do plan on the trd trans cooler. Does lean & ping only occur at the high rpms where the stock fuel system can't keep up, or does it occur based on throttle position?

Last edited by MARSHALLMAY; 11-30-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Go ahead and buy the dodge. You'll be back. lol.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:27 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dodge hehehe...

If your gonna go to the dark side you want a 7.3L powerstroke..
Old 11-30-2007, 08:29 PM

straight six is the only way to go. Although I'll give props to the 7.3. Maybe one day i'll get one to comfortably pull my 4runner to utah.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

Does lean & ping only occur at the high rpms where the stock fuel system can't keep up, or does it occur based on throttle position?
No it does not but High RPM lean-out and High-Gear/Low-RPM ping are the two biggest issues you'll see. When I had my S/C on, I had the HG/LR ping problem. I was running the TRD S/C as it came out of the box with the addition of a TRD tranny cooler. I could have fixed it with the URD upgrades but decided not to spend the extra coin and pulled the S/C after a few years.

There are a lot of old S/C threads on here, 4x4Wire, and Tacoma Territory that talk about the ping issue.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bighead
No it does not but High RPM lean-out and High-Gear/Low-RPM ping are the two biggest issues you'll see. When I had my S/C on, I had the HG/LR ping problem. I was running the TRD S/C as it came out of the box with the addition of a TRD tranny cooler. I could have fixed it with the URD upgrades but decided not to spend the extra coin and pulled the S/C after a few years.

There are a lot of old S/C threads on here, 4x4Wire, and Tacoma Territory that talk about the ping issue.
What symptoms were you experiencing with high gear/low rpm ping? Could you feel it, hear it etc.? And It this strictly a timing issue, or could it be solved with higher octane?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

What symptoms were you experiencing with high gear/low rpm ping? Could you feel it, hear it etc.? And It this strictly a timing issue, or could it be solved with higher octane?
I could hear it happening whenever I got on the gas a bit after it switched into overdrive. It got to the point where I altered my driving style to keep it from happening. I also ran 93 Octane from the day I put it on (the day I bought the 4Runner) to the day I took it off.

The moral to the story is if you are going to do the S/C, do the appropriate fuel mods also.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:57 AM

I'm guessing that eliminating any ping and keeping the a/f mixture correct is what the urd tuner is all about. I'm not looking to get all gear head with this thing, just want a boost. I'm tired of down shifting on every small hill, not interested in beating the 4runner next to me to the next red light. I do plan on the trd trans cooler. Does lean & ping only occur at the high rpms where the stock fuel system can't keep up, or does it occur based on throttle position?
A/F mixture is a huge part of it. Going pulley'd will solve all your power problems with everyday driving for sure, but say goodbye to 87 octane. You'll have to run 91 or better. Since it looks like you're at lower altitude, you'd be more susceptible to running lean with a supercharger by itself rather than us at higher elevations. Running lean is definitely an issue, as to why TRD put out the 7th injector kit. Pinging can occur at high or lower rpms...I got it mostly when I'm in higher gears and at low rpms, when there's a load on the motor (going uphill, too much throttle, etc.). But with tuning and running high octane gas most of that was fixed. You will most likely need fuel mods, and most prefer the URD 6 injector kit rather than the TRD 7th...it's up to you.

To be safe, yeah I'd go with atleast a 7th, but I've also heard from plenty of people on the forums that run the TRD supercharger by itself and haven't had any problems. Again, just do plenty of research before committing.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the info folks
I think yall have established some fuel mods are necessary for it to run not necessarily correctly, but to avoid problems. I'll definitely do one of the two. Next i'll have to figure out which one is best for my needs. I know about the octane increase need, that's pretty much a given any time you up compression.

Last edited by MARSHALLMAY; 12-01-2007 at 02:55 PM.