Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Interchangeable parts from different years

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 07:20 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Interchangeable parts from different years

I have to guess this has been a topic already...but I haven't found it.

A wire going to my front blinker sheared off, right where it goes into the plug, not leaving me with enough wire to splice it back together. Just curious how far out in years I can expand my search for a new plug with some length of wire attached to it. ?

I've got a 98 Tacoma.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can pull that plug out, push the pin back through the connector and re-crimp it. You will need a small screw driver to push a little tab down to allow the pin to come backwards.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can pull that plug out, push the pin back through the connector and re-crimp it. You will need a small screw driver to push a little tab down to allow the pin to come backwards.

Those se are standard Japanese electrical conectors. You will find them on all kinds of Toyota’s and Honda’s.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:08 PM

Ok, thanks. I'll try to get enough length out of it to splice it back together first.

If that doesn't work I'll keep looking for used plugs.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:52 PM

Getting those pins out isn't happening without completely destroying the plastic plug. Oh well.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, you have to know your enemy. The secret to pin extraction is in here:

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/file/f...RM1022E%29.pdf

412 pages of official Toyota wisdom on how to fix this stuff.

Toyota does not sell the plugs with wires attached. You can buy repair wires, which are pins with wires attached, once you identify your plug. If you do that, you can buy a replacement plastic housing, and either reuse good wires with pins that you salvage or purchase new repair wires to allow you to make your own pigtail. There are only a few types of repair wires, so I save harnesses so I can extract what I need as required. They aren't that cheap for a big plug that has 14 or 17 wires on it.

If you can find five digits embossed on the plug, then the housing number is 90980-(followed by the five digits on the plug). Your average dealer parts guy is too stupid to look this up, but he can order it for you.

With that number, you can also lookup what repair wires are used in that plug. The dealer can get those too. Next time, avoid trashing the p[lug, use the instructions, and get the needed repair wire to replace the broken one.

If there is no number visible, you can match the plug, counting pins, and then matching the pics in the manual.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:48 AM

Alright, thanks. I was just hoping to find a junkyard replacement to splice in.

Will see what happens
Old 10-16-2017, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 83
Alright, thanks. I was just hoping to find a junkyard replacement to splice in.

Will see what happens
That works, too, but there is no database to help you find the plug you need. It could be in lots of different models and years, but no way I know of to look it up.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:25 AM

Thanks. I do appreciate the help and if it comes to doing it "right", I will I didn't destroy my plug yet. I was close...so I backed off.

I think that because my background is fixing my 70s and 80s Toyotas, I'm used to a large supply of junkyard trucks available to scavenge from. So finding a donor truck I can just go to and cut off a plug with some length of wire and be done in an afternoon (or a week waiting for someone to send the part through the mail) is what I'm used to. I would think there should be a lot of late-90s Tacomas laying around...but maybe with the frame rot issue sending so many to the crusher, there aren't going to be the junkyard parts available on these like there historically have been for older Toyotas. I don't know.

I'm going to keep looking around craigslist and classifieds and see if I can just find a plug with wire attached. In the meantime I'll see if I can get the pins out of my old plug.