Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Input needed: Air Horns for my 4Runner...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 03:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Input needed: Air Horns for my 4Runner...

Well two days ago my mom called my horn "cute" ( ) when someone cut me off. The next day during my lunch hour, I ripped it out and replaced it with an aftermarket jobie. Now she sounds like the domestics horn wise. But I was not satisified.

I bought some air horns at Harbour Freight tools and installed them today. Loud as all hell, but they are HIGH pitched!!

I need another set of air horns that are LOW pitched and loud. I need suggestions on this one. Would like to keep the price below 60 bux for a set.

Steve

ps - how big are the fog horns on ocean going freighters? (Yeah Im that looney right now - all stemming from the word "cute.")
Old 03-05-2004, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the same thing when I put air horns on my Taco 2 years ago, loud but no 'throat'. I don't think horns small enough to fit under your hood are ever going to sound great. If I did it over again I would get the Hella Supertones.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

your willing to spend $60+ on a horn when you already have a perfectly good one.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had FIAMM ones that sounded like a Ferrari (on my Celica) they worked for a while. All in all they were junk.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
your willing to spend $60+ on a horn when you already have a perfectly good one.
I added some aftermarket horns under the hood to give more oomph to the "meep meep"
I rarely use my horn but when I do I want people to know that they put me and my property at risk of injury and damage. The little "meep meeps" don't cut it on the freeway.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

The first time you have a big rig merge into you on the freeway, you will change your mind, trust me!
Old 03-05-2004, 04:45 PM

To the person flaming - grow up.

Everybody else - Any particular brands or models I should look for? I want LOW and LOUD identicle if not louder than what the 18 wheelers have.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 03-05-2004 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love this topic!

http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/airhorns.html
(now with a sound bite)

My latest plans (read that as "I have the parts, I need the time) is to upgrade the 1/8" air line to 3/8", replace the 1/4" solenoid with a 3/8" and replace the 2 liter tank with a 2 gallon tank. And... I have another set of horns that I'll run in parallel with these.

I should be REALLY annoying then.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota

Everybody else - Any particular brands or models I should look for? I want LOW and LOUD identicle if not louder than what the 18 wheelers have.
I got mine at Checker Auto for $30. They work like a charm, every time! Some Italian company made mine, at least that's what the compressor says on the bottom.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
any particular brands or models I should look for? I want LOW and LOUD identicle if not louder than what the 18 wheelers have.
Basically, if you want to do what I did, then you're gonna wanna hang out on eBay. Buying this stuff new is expensive.

I found kinda' slim pickings for doing real air horns when researching mine:

http://www.buellairhorns.com/
http://www.goairhorns.com/
http://www.lonewolfwhistle.com/

Mine are a set of Go's horns that I found fairly cheap on eBay.

Have fun!

Mark
Old 03-05-2004, 04:57 PM

hehehe... maybe these? Real train horns:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2&category=130

These look cool, a little more reasonable than those above....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2464270531

Options are good if you have an on-board compressor (excuse to get an ARB? ), otherwise, it looks like we're stuck w/ th eharbor freight stuff. I'm interested too, I really would like the big rig sound, my g/f gives me ˟˟˟˟ all the time for the wimpy toyota horn...
Old 03-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought the wolo powerhouse 418 model airhorns on ebay from the seller "bluecoupe".

click to listen

see sig pic
Old 03-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

The person thats going to cut you off .. is still going to do it regardless of what you honk at them with. If a big rig is going to merge in front of you, you could have a bull horn ... and he'll still flick you off while he cuts you off. If someone is about to pull into you, honking at them with incredibly loud horn scares them, and causes them to slam their brakes and start swerving all over the place. Having an obnoxiously loud horn does absolutely nothing. Other then to satisfy some personal need to make loud noises in order to vent your frustrations.

The only thing that can save you is defensive driving, not a louder horn. but if you think I'm flaming you ... I'll just keep quiet while you find the right horn. One that both you and your mommy will be happy with.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:04 PM

The person thats going to cut you off .. is still going to do it regardless of what you honk at them with. If a big rig is going to merge in front of you, you could have a bull horn ... and he'll still flick you off while he cuts you off. If someone is about to pull into you, honking at them with incredibly loud horn scares them, and causes them to slam their brakes and start swerving all over the place. Having an obnoxiously loud horn does absolutely nothing. Other then to satisfy some personal need to make loud noises in order to vent your frustrations.

The only thing that can save you is defensive driving, not a louder horn. but if you think I'm flaming you ... I'll just keep quiet while you find the right horn. One that both you and your mommy will be happy with.
Do you even drive in the same country or are you not driving yet?

Countless times I've been in someone's blind spot from them either passing me or me passing them, only to have them start coming over into my lane. Usually a beep of the horn has them back in their lane very quickly. That combined with my moving away and back prevents any problems. Perhaps you are too complacent while driving and don't notice the other car's movements in their lane. (In fact I'd bet money on it.) I take Chuck Yeager's stance on driving: Complacency will kill you. If someone is about to hit me, I drive defensively and hit the horn - it's there for a reason.

Furthermore this is MY thread and I did NOT ask you to come in here spouting your opinion which HAS NO RELEVANCE TO THE TOPIC AT HAND. (ie - make a CONSTRUCTIVE post or get out of my thread.)

And if you want to be so sophmoric as to make false allusions as to my character and/or persona I highly suggest you find another site to frequent. This particular site seems to fit your personality well and the best part is it's in your area so we might see you competing! Good Luck! http://www.somd.org/athletes/sports.html

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 03-05-2004 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

sdastg1-

I totally disagree. What about the big rig that is not intentionally merging into you? Would you rather take an off-road adventure in the median, or alert the driver that he is about to do something stupid?

What about grandma on the freeway that is about to merge into you in her almost soundproof Caddy, with her hearing aid turned down? Same thing.

I do agree with you about jerks out there who will cut you off anyway. They are going to do it regardless of your horn db.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 03-05-2004 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:18 PM

'96 -

Pay no heed, he's in an area that seems to have a high population density of jerks, therefore he assumes everyone is a jerk trying to cut you off and the above accidental scenarios do not take place. (Typical of somone not seeing events from more than one perspective.)

Here in FL with the average driving age being about 75, most of the drivers are too inept to even realize the other cars around them so you NEED something loud that they might actually hear.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 03-05-2004 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ps - how big are the fog horns on ocean going freighters? (Yeah Im that looney right now - all stemming from the word "cute.")
When I was in the Navy, I had the replace the diaphragm on one of those. It was ~18" in diameter, the horn itself was ~6' long. It also required like 200CFM @ 150psi to operate. You're not gonna make one work on your truck
Old 03-05-2004, 10:01 PM

Bumpin' Yota called your horn "cute". Time to find redemention in the form of dual electic horns 150 and 500 hz @ 115 dB level.

Here's an exampe: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2463945432

I'd rather tie a male moutain lion (insert private part) to ground, wrap it with the positive lead from the horn button and duct tape it to the grill before someone called my horn cute. But, that just me. And I do like cats.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

Oh my god, they killed Kenny

For your low pitch, get a horn that plays "The Brown Noise". That'll get everybody to pull over

ninety-two cent below the lowest octave of E flat.
Bwaahhahhahha
Old 03-05-2004, 11:26 PM
Contributing Member

my only advise is dont get those Fiamm air horns its worse that a Geo horn... dont dont do it. I put them on another car and was too lazy to take them off i wouldnt hi them because of the embarrassment.....
heres how you get back at someone for cutting you off.... There is a deer feeder that slides into the reciever hitch and throws out corn when you press a button. well when they cut you off, smile and wave and gently cut them back off. well when you position your self a good 20 feet infornt of them hold that button for a good 5 seconds.... just watch out who you do it to, you might get shot in certain areas of the country.....

Quick Reply: Input needed: Air Horns for my 4Runner...