Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Inner tie rod replacement help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inner tie rod replacement help!!

I need all the help i can get. I have a 1996 4runner and i need to replace my left front inner tie rod. Does anyone know how to do this. I searched for write ups but did not see any. Any ideas? Thanks

Matt
Old 07-22-2004, 06:58 PM

If you have the right tool, it is the easiest susp. repair I can think of. You need an inner tie rod removel/install tool. You should be able to rent one, but a set may cost around $80 new to buy. Once you have that,you take the wheel off, loosen the jam nut on the outter tie rod, and remove the outter tie rod from the steering knuckle. Next you turn the outter tie rod off the inner tie rod counterclockwise making sure you count the turns so that when you put it on the new one, you put it the same distance as it was. (an alignment after install is wise) Now remove the tie rod boot. Next you slide the inner tie rod tool over the inner tie rod and wrench it off. Use the tool to put the new part in and if it has a hole in it and an included small alen bolt, tighten this bolt after tightenting the inner tie rod to the rack.(also a little blue loc tight is a good idea on the inner tie rod to rack threads). Slide the boot back on and I just use hose clamps to secure both ends of the boot. Thread the old outter tie rod on the spesific number of turns, and install it back into the sterring knuckle. Even if you spun the outter tie rod the exact number of times as you did to remove it, I would still sugest having an alignment shop set the toe. (and check out the other angles while they're at it.) Hope this helps, if not, a Chilton or Michell should have a good description on how to do it. (with torque specs. to)

Last edited by nightsurfride; 07-22-2004 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by nightsurfride
If you have the right tool, it is the easiest susp. repair I can think of. You need an inner tie rod removel/install tool. You should be able to rent one, but a set may cost around $80 new to buy. Once you have that,you take the wheel off, loosen the jam nut on the outter tie rod, and remove the outter tie rod from the steering knuckle. Next you turn the outter tie rod off the inner tie rod counterclockwise making sure you count the turns so that when you put it on the new one, you put it the same distance as it was. (an alignment after install is wise) Now remove the tie rod boot. Next you slide the inner tie rod tool over the inner tie rod and wrench it off. Use the tool to put the new part in and if it has a hole in it and an included small alen bolt, tighten this bolt after tightenting the inner tie rod to the rack.(also a little blue loc tight is a good idea on the inner tie rod to rack threads). Slide the boot back on and I just use hose clamps to secure both ends of the boot. Thread the old outter tie rod on the spesific number of turns, and install it back into the sterring knuckle. Even if you spun the outter tie rod the exact number of times as you did to remove it, I would still sugest having an alignment shop set the toe. (and check out the other angles while they're at it.) Hope this helps, if not, a Chilton or Michell should have a good description on how to do it. (with torque specs. to)
Do you know if this is the same for a 99 4Runner
Old 11-27-2004, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by ecm4runner
Do you know if this is the same for a 99 4Runner
I am 99/100 sure it is the same for the 99 Runner.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Harbor Freight has a SMALL TIE ROD & PITMAN ARM PULLER for $6.99 that will pop the steering and balljoints without damaging the boots....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36861

EDIT* I guess I needed to read and understand the original post. The inner tie rods on the power rack are simply threaded on, you'll need to remvoe the boot assy, then there's a locking tab that needs to be bent out of place. It'll take two karge wrenches, one on the rack and another to unscrew the joint. don't ask me the wrench size, I'll know the answer tomorrow, when I measure it. I have a spare rack that I plan to remove the joints to have as trail spares, but first I need to go buy a few huge wrenches......

Last edited by BruceTS; 11-27-2004 at 06:12 PM.