Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Informational questions

Old 07-19-2003, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Informational questions

By this time next year I am hoping to have a 98-2002 Tacoma 4x4 v6 auto in my driveway. I have a few questions about it and what is avaliable aftermarket wise.

These years, can I run 32's with the stock suspension without rubbing on the fenders? If it will rub how hard is it to either adjust the fenders or would a minor lift be my best option?

Any advice on buying it (used of course) and any pitfalls that I should know about with these great trucks.

Thanks

Sean
Old 07-19-2003, 02:07 AM
Contributing Member

I have 31s on my 02.
I'm actually not rubbing on the fender but the frame itself. If I steer all the way in either direction I can see where the paint has rubbed off on the frame.
I'm not sure if a lift will solve that as I'm still at stock height. :cry:

Other than that I have few gripes about my truck.
- The digital clock is in a terrible position
- Steering was a bit hard but I got used to it after a while.
- I've heard of other people complaining about seat comfortability but haven't had a problem with it. Though I have sat in better seats.
- My backseats, I don't know what the heck kind of fabric it is but they impress very easily. If I leave anything back there for more than a few hours it'll leave in impression that doesn't go away for a while. If it's a sharp corner it won't ever go away.
- DIY oil changes can be a pain because of the filter location.
- I don't know about anyone else but I've blown 3 bulbs since I got the truck new 39K ago. Actually, I doubt anyone's having this problem, I just felt like griping

No major complaints. I love the truck and how well organized everything is. Mods are easy (well easier) to pull off and, of course, there's no end to them because of all the great ideas on this forum!

Old 07-19-2003, 02:45 AM

Thanks for the information ... I have been looking at picking up a tacoma or a 4runner for quite some time now but I don't like the older models and want to stick to something pretty new. I have been driving cars for some time now and believe me ... oil changes on a truck are much easier than a car. I sat in a 2000 and really liked it, especially the ride quality which is pretty rough but what do you expect with a truck!

Thanks for the valuable help and hopefully keep it coming.

Sean
Old 07-19-2003, 02:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ssbob
oil changes on a truck are much easier than a car.

I sat in a 2000 and really liked it, especially the ride quality which is pretty rough but what do you expect with a truck!

Thanks for the valuable help and hopefully keep it coming.

Sean
I guess I got lucky with my early 90s Camry. The filter was easy to reach and no problems there. I'm new to this truck thing and never knew that you'd have to crawl into the wheel well to get to an oil filter
Live and learn I guess

A comment I get from a lot of people is how quiet the ride is for a truck. That's always nice to hear.

Prepare to hear comments from other people about getting one with a locking differential, etc, etc, etc.