Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Im done...selling my 4runner, but for how much?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im done...selling my 4runner, but for how much?

I've decided to sell my 4runner. I'm sick and tired of having things go wrong with it. I think I'm either going to get a Ford Lightning or some other truck...but thats not important. I want to know how much I should sell my 4runner for. I realize that a dealer wouldnt give me jack for it, so im going to sell it privately. Its a 95 Limited and has only 66K miles on it. There is no damage to the body. Its had only one owner and has upwards of $10,000 of extras on it including a lift,tires,wheels...etc. I'm selling it with the $2000 audio system in it as well. Any help on pricing this thing would be greatly appreciated. You guys should check out my cardomain page HERE to look at the truck inside and out, let me know what u think. I appreciate it =)
Old 06-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

see what the kelly blue book says http://www.kbb.com/ good luck
Old 06-19-2005, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

What's going wrong with it?
Old 06-19-2005, 10:07 AM

well nothings really going wrong with it...its mostly like my bad luck. the ignition locked up on me and i had to get it towed and i found out the next morning that it was only the key was worn down and i needed a new one. It also got broken into a couple years back and I had to get the entire front dash and console replaced. it sucked at the time, but it worked out because most of the inside is new. The latest thing is that the fuel filler hose popped off the gas tank and won't clamp back on b/c an extension was never put in during the installation of the BL (I hit the gas tank skid plate on a rock and i think it shifted the tank a fraction of an inch, but the extension should have been there in the first place..im going tomorrow to get one). ive also had the 4runner for a long time, and i just need something new. I'm in Arizona, so hopefully it will sell pretty quickly as the 4x4 world has a huge following in this part of the country.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:17 AM

I'm just wondering what you guys would see as a fairly decent price for this truck. Like if you called me and I told you that it would be X amount of dollars, what would be a price youd be willing to pay. I obviously want to make a little pocket cash from the deal too, bc i realize that it is a decade old and its just not worth what it used to be. BlueBook priced it as $8500, but thats not including hardly ANY of the extras

Last edited by yote4x4; 06-19-2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

I would think that even with the extras you might get blue book. 2nd and 3rd gen 4runners just aren't worth as much. $8500 will get you a good 3rd gen if you look hard enough. Not saying your truck isn't worth the $$$
Good luck with the sale and you might want to consider part out as much aftermarket stuff as possible, You will make more money that way.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
There is no way that you will be able to recoup what you put into it. But with that said, if you have the time list it for 10k and if no hits after 3 or 4 weeks then drop it down $500 and keep going from there.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you are worried about reliability problems from a toyota so you are going to buy a high performance ford??? take it from someone who just did that and is now trying to come back (car should be leaving tomorrow) you are in for a whole new world. My car doesn't really have any problems i just hate the generally poor build quality of it and the fit and finish suck. my 1997 4runner had twice as many miles and was 3 years older than the mustang and i just can't get over how much more thought and quality went into the toyota product.

plus if i remember correctly those lightning motors have a forged crank and cast pistons so watch out if you start adding boost.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:05 PM

I agree with justinh. I went from a 4Runner to a Ranger and currently am driving a '99 F-150. Ive had 10 times as many problems with my Fords than I had with 2 4Runners that each had well over 200,000 miles on them.
Take my '99 F-150 for example. About half the time the odometer display doesnt work. The wire for the display is loose (it still counts the miles ever when it doesnt display them) so the display will go out for a mile or 2, then come back on for a while, then go out again. It does this constantly. Also, sometimes my "ABS" light will come on for no apparent reason. When the light is on, I dont have anti-lock brakes. However, if you shut the truck off and restart it, the light doesnt come back on. I have an oil leak on the passenger side of the motor. Its got an oil return line below the exhaust manifold and that line leaks. My sliding rear window leaks due to Ford's poor workmanship.
Im not saying that Toyotas are perfect but they are certainly a lot better than Ford.
Dont get me wrong, Ford's engines and trannys are pretty solid but they just have a lot of little things that are wrong with them.
Cap'n
Old 06-19-2005, 04:11 PM

Having sold a heavily modified Jeep, along with another modified car, let me add this: You will (virtually) never, and should NOT expect, to get any of the money back that you put in for modifications. Maybe a few hundred, or a thousand extra, but that's a huge "maybe". That's just the way it works when you add expensive parts to a rapidly depreciating asset.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Captain_Toyota
I agree with justinh. I went from a 4Runner to a Ranger and currently am driving a '99 F-150. Ive had 10 times as many problems with my Fords than I had with 2 4Runners that each had well over 200,000 miles on them.
Take my '99 F-150 for example. About half the time the odometer display doesnt work. The wire for the display is loose (it still counts the miles ever when it doesnt display them) so the display will go out for a mile or 2, then come back on for a while, then go out again. It does this constantly. Also, sometimes my "ABS" light will come on for no apparent reason. When the light is on, I dont have anti-lock brakes. However, if you shut the truck off and restart it, the light doesnt come back on. I have an oil leak on the passenger side of the motor. Its got an oil return line below the exhaust manifold and that line leaks. My sliding rear window leaks due to Ford's poor workmanship.
Im not saying that Toyotas are perfect but they are certainly a lot better than Ford.
Dont get me wrong, Ford's engines and trannys are pretty solid but they just have a lot of little things that are wrong with them.
Cap'n

Before I came to my senses, I was looking at rangers of that Gen. They were NOTORIOUS for electronics problems.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=justinh]

plus if i remember correctly those lightning motors have a forged crank and cast pistons so watch out if you start adding boost.[/QUOTE they already are boosted and they hold up fine
Old 06-19-2005, 09:16 PM

I thought he meant adding boost, as in upping the PSI.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Randomness
I thought he meant adding boost, as in upping the PSI.
even if he ment that still there are guys running around with well over 20 psi on stock motors.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:23 PM

I sold my fully modified p/u (lift, tires, lockers, gears, stereo, alarm, and much more) and got nothing in return for it after trying to sell it for 8 months. It was in great condition too. I try selling it for 8 months and during those 8 months I kept bringing it down every 2 weeks appx in price. I started at 13,000 and finally sold it at 5000, a little less than Blue Book value. So don't expect your money back. Keep in mind I'm from the NYC area. I do recommend the site THEBIGLOT.COM though for selling your runner. A couple of vehicles back, I sold my cherokee in 2 days. This site is notorious for selling vehicles fast. Good Luck! Nice runner by the way.