Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I f#@king HATE Toyota!!! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 10:05 AM
Erc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I f#@king HATE Toyota!!! HELP!!

The cars are good, but the Dealers?!?!?!
I went in to get gaskets for diffs and transfer case. I walk up to the parts counter and the guy there has a look on his face like he's been trying to get the taste of cat crap out of his mouth for the past 3 days. I hand him the list of parts I need (the list states what each part is for (for example: front differential drain gasket) and has the part number next to it).
After looking at the screen for good 10 minutes, he asks me... "what year is your Celica?" :wtf:
After clearing some confusion and another 15 minutes later, he tells me that he only has one of the gaskets that I need. He CANNOT give me gasket dimensions so I can get it elsewhere!
Anyways... I already took a day off (tomorrow) to change fluid in both diffs and t-case. What are my options at this point? Anyone know what size gaskets I need? Can I reuse the ones that are on there now (pretty sure I can't, since they probably deform after enough torque is applied)
HELP!!
Old 08-14-2003, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I f#@king HATE Toyota!!! HELP!!

Originally posted by Erc

...I hand him the list of parts I need (the list states what each part is for (for example: front differential drain gasket) and has the part number next to it)....
After looking at the screen for good 10 minutes, he asks me... "what year is your Celica?" ...
I'm sure you don't think that's funny, but it really is. Toyota - and most other dealers - have very INCOMPETENT people working the parts counters. Most couldn't tell their elbows from their assholes...

I dont' think that you will need any gaskets to just change the fluids. You should only need to remove the fill and drain plugs to change the fluid.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:17 AM
Erc

I DO think it's funny! At the same time though, I knew I wasn't going to get what I needed.. so it wasn't as funny. All the drain bolts have gaskets and from what I've read, it's better to not reuse them.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
What you should have done?

If that had been me, I would have just forgotten about cat crap boy and gone straight for the parts dept manager. If cat crap boy was the manager, I'd gone higher up until I found somebody who didn't have their head up their butt who knew that it is CUSTOMERS who keep businesses in business. If that didn't work...sick the BBB on them. That always seems to wake up idiots with poor service. Don't take that crap off people. MAKE THEM DO THEIR FREAKIN JOB!

I jacked up the local cable company here with the BBB one time and had 6 techs at my house in 45 minutes after I filed the complaint and the district manage called my house. I laughed my butt off...

Brian
Old 08-14-2003, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

Here's one of the best in the business, highly recommended on several Toyota forums:

http://newtoyotaparts.com/index.htm
Old 08-14-2003, 10:22 AM
Erc

Originally posted by BT17R
Here's one of the best in the business, highly recommended on several Toyota forums:

http://newtoyotaparts.com/index.htm
Thanks.. I'm sure those guys would be able to help. However, don't know if you noticed in my original post, but I took tomorrow off to take care of this and I doubt I can get those parts from them by then.
Auto store is my only hope and I need to know the gasket dimensions for that. Otherwise, I'll just have to reuse the old ones.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:23 AM
Banned

Fortunately, I use Hoover Toyota here and they are VERY responsive to customer requests. I just give them a call with what I need and when I get there about 20-30 minutes later, it's sitting there witing on me with the invoice already printed. If it's ordered, I get a call the minute it comes in. The only thing they WON"T do is give a 100% price match with internet prices.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:23 AM

BBB???

boy-band butts?

i guess if you sick that on anyone they'd get scared...
Old 08-14-2003, 10:27 AM
Banned

Tuscaloosa Toyota

While I would not buy a new car there, just too much, the parts guys are great and do the same as bamachem stated above. Order something they have it ready when you get there or call you when it gets in.

BBB = Better Business Bureau

But I like yours better...boy band butts...ROFLMAO!!!

Brian
Old 08-14-2003, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

You might also want to check a local auto parts store. My wifes Honda has a gasket on the oil pan drain plug that needs to be replaced from time to time. I just pick up replacements at Kragen.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Any decent parts store should be able to get drain plug gaskets for you. If not, they should at least have some sheet material that you can use to make your own until you can get the real ones.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

F.Y.I- I wouldn't stress too much about not having new gaskets. As long as the old ones are clean, you can get by with a couple of reuses. Just check after a day or two and see if you get any leakage. I've been lazy and used mine ~3 times in a row now without any worries. Order new gaskets now and have them ready for the next time around.

Hoover Toyota

Originally posted by bamachem
Fortunately, I use Hoover Toyota here and they are VERY responsive to customer requests.
I've used them twice recently. They seem to be one of the better parts departments and they have a great building since it's brand new. The only problems I've had are the people working the door. I had my Runner there for 3 days while they were checking my pinging situation. I don't live in Birmingham and told them I needed it back ASAP. I went the day after I dropped it off and it had not moved! I checked around and mine was the only one in their service lot that wasn't locked! That was infuriating, but the other time I went, I waited 1.5 hours for an oil change and then had to tell somebody it was sitting outside so they could get my ticket ready. I'll go there for parts, but nothing else. I'll look at Limbaugh next time I guess.
Contributing Member

Erc, they can Fed-X to your door by tomorrow if you order in the next few hours.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:35 AM

Erc,
Try another dealer. If not than you could always try the old trick of remove the plugs and start to drain everything at once (several fluid catching devices needed). While they are all draining take a trip to one or several local part stores. Have a buddy let you borrow their car if you don't have another one to use. Make sure if they don't have the gaskets, to check that little section off odd's & ends that is called Help. The help stuff usually has all kinds of small bolt gaskets and other stuff.

Hope that helps
Old 08-14-2003, 10:37 AM
Erc

Very glad to know that some of you reused old ones with no issues! Truck only has 15k on it and this will be the first t-case/diff fluid change, so I would think the gaskets should be in OK shape. I have to get some stuff at the auto store tomorrow and I'll check with them if they have aftermarket ones.
I fell better now
Old 08-14-2003, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

Erc-Dude your avatar is making me dizzy! Slow it down. Are you trying to hypnotize us into believing Roseanne is really a man?
Old 08-14-2003, 10:38 AM
Banned

ROFLMAO!!!

Originally posted by Sac State
Erc-Dude your avatar is making me dizzy! Slow it down. Are you trying to hypnotize us into believing Roseanne is really a man?

Brian
Old 08-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Can't they order it for you? I ran into a similar problem recently, but they could have the gaskets the next day (I was buying every one I needed for the entire driveline though).

My local autozone didn't have them, so I had to go through Toyota.

Chris
Old 08-14-2003, 11:31 AM
Erc

Originally posted by Sac State
Stop staring at my avatar!! I originally created it for the mountain bike board a while ago.
Does anyone really need to be hypnotized to believe Roseanne is a man?

Quick Reply: I f#@king HATE Toyota!!! HELP!!