Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How long will a bad water pump last?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long will a bad water pump last?

I guess I'm just looking for some peace of mind here.

I've got a bum water pump. It's been noisy for a bit over a month (like a griding sound noticible from outside the truck). I suspected it was the water pump, and the Toyota dealer confirmed this last week when I took the runner in for the lower ball joint recall.

I know once in dealing with the water pump you're right by the timing belt, and I'm coming up soon on my 90K service, so I'm gonna wait to get everything done at once. Only thing is, I'm not gonna have a chance to do that for a couple more weeks or so.

So what I'm looking for is either "Yeah, I ran with a bad water pump for a million miles" or "Get it fixed now or else" replies. It's already been like this for a few weeks, so that leads me to believe a couple more shouldn't be too catastropic.

Also, say it does die on me while out on the road...what happens? The engine will just overheat real quick, but I'd still be able to drive a few miles till it does, or what? Educate me.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by calrockx

I've got a bum water pump. It's been noisy for a bit over a month (like a griding sound noticible from outside the truck). I suspected it was the water pump, and the Toyota dealer confirmed this last week when I took the runner in for the lower ball joint recall.

I know once in dealing with the water pump you're right by the timing belt, and I'm coming up soon on my 90K service, so I'm gonna wait to get everything done at once. Only thing is, I'm not gonna have a chance to do that for a couple more weeks or so.

So what I'm looking for is either "Yeah, I ran with a bad water pump for a million miles" or "Get it fixed now or else" replies. It's already been like this for a few weeks, so that leads me to believe a couple more shouldn't be too catastropic.

Also, say it does die on me while out on the road...what happens? The engine will just overheat real quick, but I'd still be able to drive a few miles till it does, or what? Educate me.
Timing belt will jump and leave you on the side of the road if the water pump breaks or seizes. I wouldn't drive it unless you have to. This also saves on a tow bill.

James
Old 11-20-2005, 11:36 AM

The fan belt is on its own pulley. Most likely the belt with break before it overheats. Get if fixed now so you dont do more damage!

James
Old 11-20-2005, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SRV1
The fan belt is on its own pulley.
Crap, that's right... I was thinking serpentine... oops.

Previous babble deleted.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i've never had to change a toyota water pump. do they have the weep hole like on my 78 vette? when the pump went, i started to leak coolant badly.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:08 PM

The water pump keep working properly until it fails. The end.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calrockx

That is definately a russian roulette situation in my book. If the pump goes while you are on the highway it can be catastrophic because unless you are constantly looking at your guages, you may just continue at speed until the engine begins to knock and by then the engine is plenty hot enough to have warped heads and damage head gaskets. If I had that happen, I would just pony up and get the whole 90k service done a little early.....there are definately worse things that could happen.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:41 PM

2 Days 14 Hours and 53 minutes exactly
Old 11-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

get it replaced ASAP
Old 11-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Nam

I know, the dealer told me my water pump is leaking; I haven't had a chance to replace it but you should do it ASAP. I will do mine soon too even though I did not see any leak yet.

Nam
Old 11-20-2005, 02:59 PM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
I wouldn't be surprised if it failed by the time you read this. Out of curiosity, what are you waiting for? You KNOW it's going to fail and there's a 99% chance that it'll fail at the worst time and you'll be kicking yourself in the butt...
Old 11-20-2005, 03:42 PM

Yea, mine failed on me once while I was driving from Arizona to Florida.. coolant spills everywhere. It overheats in a matter of seconds once it goes.. pretty useless until it's fixed.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Alright guys, thanks for the responses.

I guess i was underestimating the severity of the situation, and also hoping to do everything at once. And being a woeful "poor college student."

Tomorrow I'm gonna call to make an appointment to get the water pump and timing belt serviced. The rest can wait.

Last edited by calrockx; 11-20-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:17 PM

Yup, better to have it done sooner rather then later. A buddy of mine just had his sieze up in his Cavalier, was a messy situation.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:26 AM

mine continued on for a week or so then started to howl like a banshee! If it starts to get lounder, get it in ASAP...you don't have much time after that. As a side note, mine was replaced less than 4 month ago and it making the noise again...I think I got a bunk pump, even though it was OE Toyota. I'm looking at another $400 in labor to do it again!! Grrrr....
Old 11-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Oh yeah, forgot to update this thread.

Got my truck back from the shop yesterday...new water pump, new timing and drive belts. Done and done!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:03 AM

did the noise stop ?
Old 11-22-2005, 10:14 AM

i just had mine replaced too with some other work!!! it drives like the first day i got it...they also washed her for me!!!

Last edited by CLin9383; 11-22-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Banned

What's so different about it and where in Houston did you get this work done?
Old 11-22-2005, 10:35 AM

well, it felt different mostly due to the alignment. its always driven well but recently i've been getting alot of feedback in the wheel and in the turns the steering wheel would feel loose...now everything feels like it should...And before i would hear the sqeaky belts..since they changed all my drive belts, i couldnt hear anything but the engine..
i got it done at the most forbidden places of all..stealership! it cost a bit more than i expected but really had no choice..i'm driving back to st.louis tomorrow morning and did not want it to die on me during the holidays...happy holidays!

Last edited by CLin9383; 11-22-2005 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply: How long will a bad water pump last?