95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How hard is it to lower a 4runner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyAddict
this one caught my eye b/c of this post
Sweet Jesus! Why?!
I don't get it either, but hey, good luck getting your Runner just the way you want it Tomsriv
Old 09-24-2004, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FreshOne
Sweet Jesus! Why?!

Last edited by flyAddict; 09-24-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:08 PM

Its a 2WD, what else is he gonna do with it ????
A lifted 2WD is pretty "Spazzy" (unless its done all the way into a pre-runner or whatever...)

The "International Laws of cool-cars" dictate:

2WD you lower it.

4WD you lift it.

Old 09-24-2004, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have deep enough pockets im sure Jason B from www.burtmanindustries.com could get something from Japan
Old 09-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MvCrash
greetings,
Lowering trucks has become just as big an aftermarket as lifting. There are companies out there that make dropped spindles for small/midsize and large trucks. Look around get the dropped spindles and then you can move your leafs from over the axle to under the axle which drops the rear about 4 inches. Takes some bucks but its easy to do today.
I imagine, just like in lifting, you have to watch your drive train geometry when lowering.

I thought this was a YOTA tech board, Does not lower a Yota count as TECH?
That would work great if he had leaf springs. Sorry didnt mean to sound like a smart ass. Ive researched this since I have a 2wd too and your best bet is probably gonna be getting air bags. Air bags install very easy in 4runners because they already have a 4link in the rear and coil springs at all 4 corners. you replace the rear coils and front coil/strut assemblies with bags, add a tank and a compressor and your all set.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:45 PM

Go to the junkyard and get some Mazda badges and replace the Toyota emblems with them. You can't go any lower than that
Lowered trucks used to be really popular around here. On a pickup I can kind of see it working since the 2wd trucks already have a low profile and body style. A lowered 4Runner? That just doesn't fit my schema :pat:
Good luck! I imagine it pretty well will be as expensive and difficult as lifting them! Keeping the drive line angles in phase would be the first difficulty to come to mind to me.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dbikeman
That would work great if he had leaf springs. Sorry didnt mean to sound like a smart ass.
Greetings,
Thats ok, I've never even looked under a 4Runner so I did'nt know. My Taco has leafs so I ass/u/med the 4Runners did too.
My point was that it can be done pretty easily these days.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:11 PM
Tomsriv

My GOD, one day and all these great links and posts! This forum is something special!
I was expecting to have to defend myself, but you guys are really open-minded. I had a 70 El Camino in high school that I lowered by heating the springs. It is pretty ghetto. Its hard to tell when to stop heating them and I ended up with one side an inch higher than the other. I switched to Hotchkis 1" lowered front springs with increased spring rate and I scraped my headers a lot less.

I've noticed that the runners with running boards look a lot lower than those without. Many of the 4cyl versions don't even have running boards so their is a lot of air space underneath. I think with 31" tires and a 1" drop it will look just right. What is the stock tire size?
Old 09-24-2004, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, asking how to lower your 2 wheel drive runner doesn't rub as bad as someone coming in and saying, i have a 2003 four runner, i'd like to make it a fast and furious type runner. what kind of lowering, rear spoiler, larger (read as "RICE") exhaust and engine mods could i do. i have already installed a dvd/navigation system with a xbox and ps2 mounted inside. Also, what about running nos!
Old 09-25-2004, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tomsriv
My GOD, one day and all these great links and posts! This forum is something special!
I was expecting to have to defend myself, but you guys are really open-minded. I had a 70 El Camino in high school that I lowered by heating the springs. It is pretty ghetto. Its hard to tell when to stop heating them and I ended up with one side an inch higher than the other. I switched to Hotchkis 1" lowered front springs with increased spring rate and I scraped my headers a lot less.

I've noticed that the runners with running boards look a lot lower than those without. Many of the 4cyl versions don't even have running boards so their is a lot of air space underneath. I think with 31" tires and a 1" drop it will look just right. What is the stock tire size?
I believe the stock size was a weenie 225x75...
Is Macross still around? He did a killer photochop to give me an idea what a bagged drop will look like...hope the link still works.

slammed...
As mentioned, the PP 1" drop spring won't lower a 2WD as the stock springs are 1" lower than the 4WD spring that PP offers. I don't recommend cutting your springs either, but I do admire the hot rod spirit of doing what ya gotta do.
Heres the 2" drop Shuei link...sorry I can't translate. Click on 185 Surf to see the kit. The bottom kit has the low shocks and adjustible lateral bar to keep the rear end centered.

Last edited by butnut; 09-25-2004 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:49 AM

Don't do it brother, my opinion 4runners look terrible when lowered, they are meant to lifted.....don't ruin your truck please!!!!!
Old 09-25-2004, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lowering a 4runner is not hard at all. what i ended up doing is cutting the factory springs in my truck, i like the way it looks, but it rides like ˟˟˟˟. i just got a set of performance products lowering springs, which actually have dead coils that ill probably cut to get about a 2" drop. hopefully ill get to do it this weekend if this damn hurricane doesnt knock the power out. JasonB on the board can get you a set of springs from japan, but its going to cost you big bucks. from what i recall it was over $1000. the only other thing that i need to find are some lower profile bumpstops for the rear.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by PoBoy
MvCrash - why do you put "Greetings" at the beginning of all your posts?
Greetings,
Cause I like to. Please let me know if it bothers you, I might be inclined to stop. Then again, I might not.

Sincerely,
Old 09-27-2004, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by COYOTA $x$
Its a 2WD, what else is he gonna do with it ????
A lifted 2WD is pretty "Spazzy" (unless its done all the way into a pre-runner or whatever...)

The "International Laws of cool-cars" dictate:

2WD you lower it.

4WD you lift it.

I couldn't agree more. 2wd, drop it till sparks fly. 4wd, lift to the sky!
Old 09-27-2004, 08:43 PM

Tomsriv
its your 4Runner ,your rig ... you can do whatever you want with it. you see it everyday not us. some people think were crazy for lifting our rigs.. so lower away.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
I couldn't agree more. 2wd, drop it till sparks fly. 4wd, lift to the sky!
I would hate to see a lifted WRX STi... Or Eclipse GSX... Or Audi S4...

Old 09-28-2004, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nitro Hotpants
you cant lower a 4runner. so dont try
What are you trying to say by this?

I can't tell if you are being facetious because you think it is "dumb" or if you really are ignorant to the fact that a 4Runner can be lowered.

If so, why would you care what someone else does to their truck?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:48 PM

For a thread that (like this one) is partly full of crap from people who can't help but force their closed minded opinions on others but also actually has some good info check this out.

http://www.customtacos.com/ubbthread...b=5&o=&fpart=1